1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Rock Island Armory

Old 06-23-2013, 05:00 PM

Wilson Combat Firing Pin Length

Purchased a Wilson Combat firing pin to replace the one in my RIA full size 1911. The Wilson pin is shorter than the RIA firing pin. Did not measure it (yes, I need to get a set of calipers) but it is definitely shorter.

I did not install the Wilson pin not knowing if there was any concerns. Wouldn't get to the range for several days to try it.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:25 PM

Try this: Put the pin in, insert a pencil (eraser first) into the barrel (on an empty chamber, no mag) and dry fire it. If the pencil shoots across the room from the hammer hitting it, it works. It's a series 80 function test for the firing pin stop pin and parts (which RIA doesn't have, as they're series 70 clones), but it'll work to see if your firing pin will do the job.

Sticks and stones may break bones, but my .45 will kill you.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:19 PM

If it's shorter, I would not use it, you could get light strikes,causing the primer not to fire, In your best guess, how much shorter is it?? lay it on a ruler to measure...
Old 06-24-2013, 12:22 PM

I installed a WC titanium firing pin and HD spring in my CS. The back part that protrudes out of the firing pin stop appears to be slightly shorter, i was concerned that it would not take a strike from the hammer enough to fire, but it has not had a failure in 250 rounds since the replacement.

I'd say take it to the range and see what happens, but take the old pin with you just in case