1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Para USA

Old 06-13-2013, 08:21 PM

Para Elite LS Hunter - should I buy one?

I'm in the market for a LS and the Para LS Hunter seems to hit the mark. However, I've heard a fair amount of bad press about Para including from people at gun retailers that sell them. So what's the story? Is anyone familiar with their LS? How about the stories of bad quality and service?

I own, S&W's, Ruger, CZ and Kimber. All have provided outstanding service if I needed it. No problems with any of these brands.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey1 View Post
I'm in the market for a LS and the Para LS Hunter seems to hit the mark. However, I've heard a fair amount of bad press about Para including from people at gun retailers that sell them. So what's the story? Is anyone familiar with their LS? How about the stories of bad quality and service?

I own, S&W's, Ruger, CZ and Kimber. All have provided outstanding service if I needed it. No problems with any of these brands.

I ask you to step into year 2013 to wake-up and read some threads on here about customer service. You obvisiously don't spend enough time in this Para section. Time and time, threads on here are posted about outstanding customer service by many, many happy Para customers...I'm one of them X2 models. Para rep Travis Tomasie is on here taking care of us by making sure the customer is happy. That's a huge plus for me and many others. Many other gun makers are getting a lot of bad press right now for bad customer service. Read them...they're on here.

You want to tell us about all the bad press and bad customer service you've heard? Remember, this is 2013.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:15 PM

I'm going to when available.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:30 AM

7in1911
Gander Mountain gun sales associate about Para "the high end is pretty good but they've had a lot of problems with the lower end guns"...Wed. of this week.
Local gun smith "Para was out to kick Kimbers butt...I wouldn't buy one, lots of quality problems"....March 2013.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:49 AM

Before I bought my Para Expert, I talked to several gunsmiths and gun guys here in Louisiana. They all recommended Para very highly. About 500 rounds through with no problems.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
7in1911
Gander Mountain gun sales associate about Para "the high end is pretty good but they've had a lot of problems with the lower end guns"...Wed. of this week.
Local gun smith "Para was out to kick Kimbers butt...I wouldn't buy one, lots of quality problems"....March 2013.
^ trying to sell you up to a more $ model ^

My Para GI Expert has been flawless. And they don't get much cheaper than the GI Expert.

“The most deadly thing on a battlefield is one well-aimed shot.” — Sgt. Carlos Hathcock
Old 06-14-2013, 10:26 AM

It's called the New Para. CS is out of this world, and 2013 offering is outstanding.

Gary
Old 06-14-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
7in1911
Gander Mountain had my Para Black Ops under the glass for $1499. I got it from Buds gun shop for $1066 and MSRP IS $1257.00

Apparently they are proud of them.

I'd suggest if you don't want to take a chance on having any issues you buy one of Wilsons top end models. Shouldn't set you back more than 5 or 6 grand. I'd be careful though, I've read some owners have had to return them to Wilson for repairs.

Bottom line is, anything built by a human and mechanical can have problems. If you look at the threads started by people who have had issues you'll find that Para goes above and beyond to resolve any issues. My past Para 14 round limited was flawless. So far my Black Ops is awesome and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:25 PM

Not looking for an arguement nyabzns, just want some insight. Doesn't matter if its a thousand bucks or five thousand bucks...just don't want to buy something with the potential of known issues. I have nothing against any of the gun manufactures but appreciate the advice so I can make an informed decision. The biggest problem right now is that nobody has them in stock.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:45 PM

Gander Mountain had them on their web site a couple days ago. Check to see. They had several models of Paras.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:50 PM

We need a sticky in the Para subforum about this. Call it "Para's checkered past" or something. Explain the story up front. I've seen a bunch of these posts popping up and I think we can take care of new or future Para owners before they even ask the question. And its just another sign that the company and its fans are willing to acknowledge the past, step past it and work toward a better future.

Advice on the LS Hunter? Just look at how many people Travis has helped on this forum. If you buy it and it isn't right, he will make it right. Problems with the lower end guns? You will see only a few complaints about the Gi Experts or newer Experts here. I would say 95% positive results from the gun.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Not looking for an arguement nyabzns, just want some insight. Doesn't matter if its a thousand bucks or five thousand bucks...just don't want to buy something with the potential of known issues. I have nothing against any of the gun manufactures but appreciate the advice so I can make an informed decision. The biggest problem right now is that nobody has them in stock.
I can understand the need for some insite and I wasn't trying to start an argument. My experience with customers in general is most anyone with a problem will post about it, but not everyone with a flawless product will write about the experience so sometimes reading a little negative feedback isn't necessarily a true representation of the percentage of problem products.

Then again there is what I like to call the Harley syndrome. Harley Davidson owners ( not all, but some ) think every motorcycle is crap if it doesn't have the HD logo on it. Brand loyal car enthusiast tend to be the same way, if a Chevy guy drives a Ford he can find everything wrong with it and probably knows 20 people who have had problems with there Fords.

I considered lots of options before buying my Black Ops, despite having flawless experience with a previous Para. I actually narrowed my options down to the Remington R1 , Kimber Super Carry or the Para. I was going to base my final purchase on what was in stock when I got ready to throw down some cash. I'm pretty sure had the Para not been in stock I would have purchased the Remington R1. I've read excellent things about that particular firearm. Aside from lots of satisfied owners, from what I understand Travis is working with Remington on product development now that Remington and Para are owned by the same company so I think my purchasing decision would have been equally as good had I went with the Remington. My past experience and availability ultimately is what made me go back to Para.

Edit: By the way, Buds Gun Shop is a Para Gold Medallion dealer in KY and they offer a discount for cash purchases , bank transfers also qualify for the discount. I got my Para from them at a better price even adding the $40 bucks I had to spend transferring the pistol from Buds to a local FFL.

Last edited by nyabzns; 06-14-2013 at 06:18 PM. Reason: ADDED INFO
Old 06-14-2013, 08:40 PM

Im Thinking on getting one after my black ops i wouldnt hesitate to buy one as long as its a bushed barrel not bull

Last edited by tc300mag1; 06-14-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:31 PM

[QUOTE=SVNS1XTW0;4561719]We need a sticky in the Para subforum about this. Call it "Para's checkered past" or something. Explain the story up front. I've seen a bunch of these posts popping up and I think we can take care of new or future Para owners before they even ask the question. And its just another sign that the company and its fans are willing to acknowledge the past, step past it and work toward a better future.

I think that would be a good way to clear the air and educate new owners and stories from the past, talk about the current production and focus on future plans for advanced manufacuring to meet customer / business expectations.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:35 PM

[QUOTE=NYABZNS] I considered lots of options before buying my Black Ops, despite having flawless experience with a previous Para. I actually narrowed my options down to the Remington R1 , Kimber Super Carry or the Para. I was going to base my final purchase on what was in stock when I got ready to throw down some cash. I'm pretty sure had the Para not been in stock I would have purchased the Remington R1. I've read excellent things about that particular firearm. Aside from lots of satisfied owners, from what I understand Travis is working with Remington on product development now that Remington and Para are owned by the same company so I think my purchasing decision would have been equally as good had I went with the Remington. My past experience and availability ultimately is what made me go back to Para.

I had a simular buying experience when it came time to buy my Black Ops. My first 1911 was a Para 14-45 Limited SS that I still have and love. Over the years I also bought some 1911's from Springfield and Sig Sauer. Liking all three, I felt it was time for another 1911 and I turned to Para to see what they were offering. The 14-45 Black Ops model really caught my eye. I ended up buying the Black Ops based on one thing...having a good experience with my Limited Para. You tend to gravatate to what you feel comfortable with. I've had nothing but good luck and fun shooting with my Limited over the years.

Last edited by 7in1911; 06-14-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:58 PM

Good analogy on the Harley's. I'm a former Honda owner and still have two Yamahas. Fact is, with todays technology you can't buy a bad motorcycle...they're all good for the most part. I believe the same is true for most firearms manufacturers.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:53 PM

Para = good customer service

I purchased a BlackOps and after a good break-in period I still had frequent jamming when the last cartridge in a mag was fed. I contacted Para. Without question, they immediately sent a paid shipping label and I sent the gun to them on a Monday. I had it back the same week on Friday. Test fired and it was better, but still jammed. They sent another label again and I sent it back. Again, they returned it quickly. This time it is shooting well.

The pistol is well made and very accurate, and I have to say that their customer service is awesome. I will buy another Para, either an Elite LS Hunter or an Elite Target.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:58 PM

I purchased a Blackops 14-45 late last year. It came in with some weird rusty looking engraving and wasn't feeding properly. Travis quickly sent me my label inspected the firearm and decided it was best to have their best smith Smalley,build from scratch. As a token of gratitude he upgraded the internals and added the EGW barrel bushing and let me change to adjustable rear and fiber optic front sights. He also added the Para Winged Skull logo and Jack o'Lantern engraving on my slide...and the mags (I was born on Halloween). They threw in a extra mag too! I'd say with confidence, if you have a issue Travis will get you taken care of. I love this pistol! The trigger was tested at the factory with a 4lb break and has improved after putting a little over 750 rds down range. Wanted a fun to shoot high cap .45 and ended up with a heirloom.

Last edited by Gadsden Flag; 08-31-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Then you probably should buy nothing at all.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:12 AM

I had an issue with my new Elite Target. Doug emailed a return label moments after my phone call. I sent the gun on a Tuesday morning, it was received by Para the following day. The issue was addressed and returned to me that same day. It doesn't get any better than a one day turn around. I'm sticking with Para, they will have my business in the future!
Old 11-05-2013, 07:51 PM

Elite LS Hunter is here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243wssm View Post
I purchased a BlackOps and after a good break-in period I still had frequent jamming when the last cartridge in a mag was fed. I contacted Para. Without question, they immediately sent a paid shipping label and I sent the gun to them on a Monday. I had it back the same week on Friday. Test fired and it was better, but still jammed. They sent another label again and I sent it back. Again, they returned it quickly. This time it is shooting well.

The pistol is well made and very accurate, and I have to say that their customer service is awesome. I will buy another Para, either an Elite LS Hunter or an Elite Target.

My Elite LS Hunter 10mm that I had ordered a couple months ago just arrived at my local dealer today, five minutes after I left his shop. I will pick it up tomorrow. This will be my first 10mm.

I may put a shot or two into my berm if there is still enough daylight when I get home, but will have to wait until the weekend for a full trial. I have a couple boxes of ammo reloaded and ready to go. I will post a report.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:22 PM

Great, glad they are finally available. Let us know how it runs.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:06 PM

Shakey1,

PARA has, in the past, had a less than stellar reputation and I know several gun shops that have a tainted opinion of them. Over the past few years PARA has upped their game and purchasing a PARA is now pretty much a guarantee of getting a quality firearm. When problems occur, and they may because humans are involved, PARA will stand behind their products and resolve the issue.

Most PARA firearms work without a problem. I purchased a RECON and it had an issue, so I contacted customer service and sent it back. In about a week it was headed back to me. Problem resolved within days. It is now flawless. I could throw another $1K or $2K at a different pistol and not get a more flawless functioning pistol.

PARA has proven they want to make the customer happy, and that is a big deal. My experience is that in the event that you have an issue with your pistol, they will resolve your issue as soon as they can. Now, if you alter it with your home-brew customization then they are not responsible for what you did to your pistol.

As for the 10mm, I L-O-V-E the 10mm. If they come out with a high cap 10mm, I'm going to get it. If you get one first and don't like it, just send it to me and I'll look after it for you.

MyTime

Last edited by MyTime; 11-05-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:20 PM

First test of the Para Elite LS Hunter 10mm

I picked my 10mm Para Elite LS Hunter up from my dealer yesterday. The look and feel are fantastic - it is solid, well made, and the finish is durable. It is noticeably heavier than my Para BlackOps 1911.

I like the sights, but I do not have enough experience with 1911's to comment about the trigger other than to say that is is identical to my BlackOps 1911 in design and feel. I may try to borrow a trigger pull gage to measure trigger weight.

I am lucky enough to have my own 50 yard range on my property, so after running a patch through the barrel to remove oil, I took it out to my berm and shot two magazines (only 5 loaded in each) through the pistol. The function was flawless, the action was smooth, and the accuracy was limited only by my own abilities. I only managed 10 shots due to the earlier darkness.

I disassembled it inside, inspected, cleaned, and reassembled. Everything looks good here - very well made.

When I got home from work today, I grabbed my chrony, a new target, the pistol, two loaded mags, and eye/ear protection. I fired five shots through the chrony, and was unable to get a reading (too dark already). From a support at 15 yards, I fired five more shots into the target and managed a 3" group (again, limited by my ability). It had perfect function with no jammiing.

The cartridges used were my own reloads - 10mm Hornady XTP 180gr over 7.2 grains of Power Pistol in trimmed Starline brass with Winchester large pistol primers. This is a fairly light load for 10mm, but it is a start.

This is my first 10mm, and I instantly like this cartridge, and especially this gun. This pistol handles the 10mm very well, in my opinion. I plan to test it more thoroughly this weekend, and if I can develop 50 yard proficiency before Missouri deer season (only 9 days away!!!) then I will bring it along for drives.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:53 PM

Just got back from filling out the paperwork and plunking my money down! Pick up my new LS Hunter Sunday afternoon.
From examination at the counter this gun appears to be very well made. Tight, excellent fit and finish in every way. FO sights, VZ grips, rail....what's not to like!