1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 06-05-2013, 10:10 AM

Procedure for adjusting 'Over-Travel' on 1911 triggers:

I have been reading some various information concerning the adjustment of over-travel on 1911 style guns that have triggers with an adjustable over-travel screw.

I have also been adjusting this over-travel on my own Gold Cup.

I wrote the following in what I think is an easy to follow 'how-to' ... could you knowledgeable folks read this and tell me what you think.

Thanks,

Adjusting Over-Travel on 1911 Style Adjustable Triggers:

1. Completely remove the trigger adjusting screw, then apply blue Loctite to this screw.

2. Install the screw almost all the way in the trigger.

3. Cock the hammer, and squeeze the trigger. The hammer should not fall. If the hammer does fall, turn the screw further in and check again that the hammer does not fall when the trigger is squeezed.

4. Back out the set screw 1/4 turn at a time until the hammer falls when the trigger is squeezed.

5. Now turn the screw out 1 full turn to properly set the over-travel.

6. Once the screw is properly set, squeeze the trigger and move the hammer up and down with your thumb. Ensure that you don't feel a slight 'bump' or any sear binding as you move the hammer up and down while the trigger is squeezed ... If not, your done.

7. If you do feel a slight 'bump' or sear binding, back out the screw another 1/4 turn and check again.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:12 PM

nice, been wondering about the procedure, thanks for the write up!

45 ACP, because shooting twice is just silly..
Old 06-05-2013, 12:48 PM

The way I like to adjust the over travel screw leaves no doubt. Remove the GS and MSH and flip the strut up out of the way, slip the MSH back in to hold sear spring. Now adjust the screw in until the trigger can't release the hammer, back it out until you can now swing the hammer, and feel for interference, back it out until you can no longer feel a rub when the trigger is held back, and the half cock notch doesn't rub as well. There, that's as close as it should be, and a 1/2 to 1 full turn out will be a good place to leave it. Now put a drop of Loctite #290 on the screw and forget about it. Leaving the screw very close to interference is okay, but the reset will be very short and if the trigger is light you may experience bump firing.

LOG

Old 06-05-2013, 01:21 PM

Keep in mind, if the 1911 in question has a firing pin lock, that the trigger travel MUST allow the firing pin lock to move far enough to completely disengage. This may require a differnt setting than what works fine for releasing the hammer alone. CC

Certified Law Enforcement Trainer
Certified Glock, Colt and Remington LE Armorer
Old 06-06-2013, 01:11 PM

I have used Log's method on several new builds, and, in fact, printed his method and put it in my Jerry K. book. (about four copies now)
Old 07-08-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by log man View Post
The way I like to adjust the over travel screw leaves no doubt. Remove the GS and MSH and flip the strut up out of the way, slip the MSH back in to hold sear spring. Now adjust the screw in until the trigger can't release the hammer, back it out until you can now swing the hammer, and feel for interference, back it out until you can no longer feel a rub when the trigger is held back, and the half cock notch doesn't rub as well. There, that's as close as it should be, and a 1/2 to 1 full turn out will be a good place to leave it. Now put a drop of Loctite #290 on the screw and forget about it. Leaving the screw very close to interference is okay, but the reset will be very short and if the trigger is light you may experience bump firing.

LOG
I JUST did this for the first time after figuring out why my pistol was hanging up occasionally. This method worked perfectly for a first time rank amature. Log, you rock