1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > 2A Legal & Political News ONLY

Old 05-22-2013, 06:35 PM

Il carry new bill in the works

Another board is going nuts discussing the new bill.I think we are giving up too much.

Two things jump out as totally unacceptable
1. Five lifetime arrests make you void for the card.Nothing about guilt.Just arrests.

2.The penalties for small violations are misdemeanor arrests and lose your permit.Should be fines.Honest people making a mistake should not send you to jail.

Read,discuss.
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/98/S...2193ham001.htm
Old 05-22-2013, 06:44 PM

I'd have to agree,

Basically it means if they don't want you to carry they'll just arrest you several times on phony charges and you'll never be able to carry again.

So yeah... bad law, change that portion...
Old 05-22-2013, 07:41 PM

Keep up the fight Al. Don't cave.

By the way what's your daughter up to? I always wanted to meet her.

Last edited by M4finny; 05-22-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Earl o Sammich View Post

By the way what's your daughter up to? I always wanted to meet her.
I think she's a legislator, now, here in California.

Thucydides, Greek Historian
Old 05-22-2013, 08:03 PM

Aren't traffic tickets technically arrests and surrendering your license is your bond?
Old 05-23-2013, 03:14 AM

Can't carry anywhere other than your house or car - FAIL
$150 fee for residents $300 for non-res - FAIL

Lots more Fails.

No thank you.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:26 AM

We need a triple-A smiley (anti-aircraft artillery, not auto club), for "shoot this POS legislation down!"

Thucydides, Greek Historian
Old 05-23-2013, 10:15 PM

Sometimes you have to take what you can get. To be effective in Illinois, you need a 2/3rds majority to override home rule. To his credit, Speaker Madigan bullied the Senate to turn down SB183, while promoting HB2193 as a "reasonable" compromise.

It has several important features: (1) Shall-issue (subject to refusal for cause, appealable), (2) no cutouts for Cook County and Chicago, and (3) abolishes all local gun regulations, including the Cook County and Chicago assault weapons bans and magazine limitations. The cost and training are on the high side ($150/16 hours), but on the same order of magnitude as other states. You get 8 hours credit if you hold another CCW. What they might have to say after the first two hours is questionable.

There are so many exceptions, such as public transportation, parks and museums, that the only place you can really carry is in your car. That gives me free passage to drive to an emancipated state, which includes every state that touches Illinois. I'm happy to spend my free time (and money) in Wisconsin and Indiana.

According to the experts, once the original bill passes the home rule threshhold, revisions only need a simple majority. With continued cooperation from downstate Democrats, that's a low hurdle to leap. If you recall, Ohio residents had a rough go for several years until the rules relaxed.

Last edited by Neumann; 05-23-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neumann View Post
Sometimes you have to take what you can get. To be effective in Illinois, you need a 2/3rds majority to override home rule. To his credit, Speaker Madigan bullied the Senate to turn down SB183, while promoting HB2193 as a "reasonable" compromise.

It has several important features: (1) Shall-issue (subject to refusal for cause, appealable), (2) no cutouts for Cook County and Chicago, and (3) abolishes all local gun regulations, including the Cook County and Chicago assault weapons bans and magazine limitations. The cost and training are on the high side ($150/16 hours), but on the same order of magnitude as other states. You get 8 hours credit if you hold another CCW. What they might have to say after the first two hours is questionable.

There are so many exceptions, such as public transportation, parks and museums, that the only place you can really carry is in your car. That gives me free passage to drive to an emancipated state, which includes every state that touches Illinois. I'm happy to spend my free time (and money) in Wisconsin and Indiana.

According to the experts, once the original bill passes the home rule threshhold, revisions only need a simple majority. With continued cooperation from downstate Democrats, that's a low hurdle to leap. If you recall, Ohio residents had a rough go for several years until the rules relaxed.
You folks in Illinois are at the crossroads. We faced this same stuff in our state years back. You may now see a huge divide between factions in the gun community. I cannot say what would be best for you there but, our "compromise" bill did eventually work out into a very solid pro gun law that spun off into Castle Doctrine and so-called "shoot the carjacker" laws.

We were fortunate with the right timing and the right legislature in a historically blue state and a democrap governor. We pulled it off with a great public awareness campaign and very hard work. Some in the gun community wanted all or nothing the first go round' and soured with the first offerings. I'm not saying that compromised carry is the right way to go, I am just sharing my observations.

Only the Illini know what is best for them, my prayers are with you and you should all be very proud that you are making strides in the right direction.

Keep up the good work!

Fin
Old 05-24-2013, 12:57 PM

Concealed carry PASSES in IL

The end of the world is in sight. The IL House just passed HB2193, a shall issue, preemptive carry bill. Not perfect, but a good start.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:53 PM

This is a tactic I've seen pushed by Animal right's activists, etc. Pass whatever you can as it gets a foot in the door. a couple years down the road, a change to it gets attached to an omnibus bill, and you get another small restoration of your rights. you just keep plugging away until everything right is set in stone.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:07 PM

Gov. Quinn and Rahm are very unhappy with this bill. They don't like the preemption and the doing away with local gun control laws. Chicago will lose its AWB. Rahm wants to be able to write his own set of rules for Chicago.
The more they dislike the bill the better it must be.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4finny View Post
our "compromise" bill did eventually work out into a very solid pro gun law that spun off into Castle Doctrine and so-called "shoot the carjacker" laws.
Fin
Thanks, as always, for your support, Fin. This ^ is what the reasonable folks in IL realize. We have to take some baby steps at first, but once the lefties in the ILGA realize the shoot outs in the street at high noon haven't happened, we'll be able to get more and more. Some folks on Illinois Carry are going ballistic and feel they've been sold out. The folks running Illinois Carry, and Todd Vandermyde, the lobbyist, have said from the start that it's about what's possible, not about getting everything we want. At least not at first.