1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 04-26-2013, 06:48 PM

Hammer 1/4 notch ?

I'm constantly reading about a 1/4 hammer notch on the 1911, but I am not aware of who manufactures a 1911 hammer with a 1/4 notch, as far as I know there is the captive half cock notch (1911A1) and the Colt series 80 half cock shelf, common sense would tell me that a 1/4 notch would be in between the hammer and the half cock notch, I read somewhere that the 1/4 notch was introduce as a second safety feature in case the sear slips from the half cock self,(good grief) can someone explain to me which 1911 is fitted with a 1/4 hammer notch
Old 04-26-2013, 07:24 PM

Can't give an all-inclusive answer, but based on what I own, Springfield 1911s manufactured in the past 5-6 years, except for the Pro have the quarter cock hammer position. This includes a Brazilian Mil-Spec, an Ro, and a couple of TRPs. As noted, the Pro or at least my Pro, does not. The hammer will drop from this position when the trigger is pulled.

My Colt Gunsite CCO also has this feature, but my older Colts do not, nor do my LBs, WC, or NH.

As for the reasoning behind this feature, I haven't a clue. The fact that the GVMT didn't want it on their Pros, should tell you something.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:46 PM

Yep, My 4 Springers have the quarter notch. My oldest is around twenty years old I would think. (costum build by Second Chance out of Wisconsin)
Old 04-26-2013, 08:00 PM

Personally I never paid much attention to the exact placement of the safety catch.Pre 80 series had it so it would lock in and have no way to fire,the 80 series has a firing pin block so if it does slip nothing will happen,and it's easier to make.Remember reading about dropped pistols going off and the tests?
Old 04-27-2013, 08:54 AM

Per the illustration that I'm posting the hammer on the right is an 80 series type and the one on the left is as JMB designed the hammer, now is the half cock shelf of the 80 series described as a 1/4 cock position? because it looks to me like its in the same position as the original design, or is the 1/4 cock hammer position in a different location, seems to me that the distance between the hammer face and the half cock position would be a 1/4 cock, or are you guys calling the half cock shelf of the 80 series hammer "1/4 cock "

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun
Old 04-27-2013, 09:08 AM

The "quarter cock" position I'm talking about is an additional detent or shelf cut on the hammer between the half-cock position and the hammer face.
Sprinfield used to put a drawing of the hammer in their Owners Manual but doesn't do so any longer.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:29 AM

My Springfield TRP, and Remington R1 Enhanced both have the 1/4 notch. My Sig and S&W do not.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:20 AM

I have never seen One, but it is stated in the R1 enhanced owners manual that they added a 1/4 cock notch as an additional safety feature. Maybe someone reading this thread could detail strip their pistol and show us pics of one these.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:14 AM

I would imagine that if there is a 1/4 notch between the hammer face and the half cock position that it would be visible from the rear of the pistol when the hammer is cocked, and as such who ever is willing to snap a photo and illustrate it would not have to disassemble their pistol.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:45 AM

Click image for larger version

Name:	notch.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	98794

As good as I can get it without disassembly.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:00 PM

Thanks tuc I wonder what manufacture of after market parts makes a hammer with this 1/4 notch safety, I have not personally seen 1911 with this notch or if I did, I didn't notice it, seems to me that it is a redundant safety feature why not just leave the hammer the way JMB designed it.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:33 PM

This question comments up often. And folks unfortunately, rarely use search.

If you wonder why search is important, here's my observation. Many of the fellas that can best answer many of these questions, get tired of the redundancy of the question. They get tired of repeating themselves. Sometimes they stop answering.

Advance search or even Google works better than the regular search engine. Google will often offer you the thread on this forum. Just a general observation. Not meant to single out the op or anyone else.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:31 PM

I'll go the other way. If a frequently asked question comes up, it's totally appropriate for a veteran Forum member to respond, suggesting a search,
hopefully with a link to an appropriate thread to get the newb started. How's a newb to know whether the subject has been covered before, and that he is wasting our precious time with a redundant request? Thinking back, the majority of my personal questions over the years probably could have been answered by a diligent search, and if I'd been given a snarky brush-off at the time, I'd be looking elsewhere for help, advice, and the opportunities to assist others.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herd48 View Post
This question comments up often. And folks unfortunately, rarely use search.

If you wonder why search is important, here's my observation. Many of the fellas that can best answer many of these questions, get tired of the redundancy of the question. They get tired of repeating themselves. Sometimes they stop answering.

Advance search or even Google works better than the regular search engine. Google will often offer you the thread on this forum. Just a general observation. Not meant to single out the op or anyone else.
So, with all due respect, why are you reading this post, let alone, commenting...in a negative way? I am fairly new here, and it's responses like these that make me think I should look for another forum.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipsan View Post
I'll go the other way. If a frequently asked question comes up, it's totally appropriate for a veteran Forum member to respond, suggesting a search,
hopefully with a link to an appropriate thread to get the newb started. How's a newb to know whether the subject has been covered before, and that he is wasting our precious time with a redundant request? Thinking back, the majority of my personal questions over the years probably could have been answered by a diligent search, and if I'd been given a snarky brush-off at the time, I'd be looking elsewhere for help, advice, and the opportunities to assist others.
You are correct, and thank you for speaking up for us "newbs" to this particular forum.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:53 PM

My only point is that stickies and search should always be looked at first. It's quite common for someone to say '' checked stickies or search etc etc''. And that's fine. Someone will be glad to help if that's the case.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:55 PM

Tuc........ excuse me. I was only trying to be helpful. I thought I gave an explains as to why it's important. Just ignore if it doesn't apply. All suggestions are not perfect. Including mine

Last edited by herd48; 04-27-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Tuc........ excuse me. I was only trying to be helpful. I thought I gave an explains as to why it's important. Just ignore if it doesn't apply. All suggestions are not perfect. Including mine
It's all good. I want to try to explain this from our (newbs) perspective.

I am new to this forum, but try to contribute positively when I THINK I can...because so many others have helped me with a question. Trust me, as a "newb", as I like to believe other's as well, I do a search before posting a question.

The issue seems to be that when we do a search, we get a LOT of irrelevant threads that may contain ONE keyword, but doesn't address our particular concern (without taking a couple hours of time to sift through).

Hence, we end up posting a question that may have been covered Ad nauseam to the veterans of this forum.

We mean no disrespect, we are just trying to get answers from those that may be more knowledgeable.

To be honest, we "newbs" put a lot of weight in the knowledge and experience in the more "seasoned" veteran members on ANY forum, including this one.

Believe it or not, we do put a lot of stock in a "Seasoned Member's" reply.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuc View Post
So, with all due respect, why are you reading this post, let alone, commenting...in a negative way? I am fairly new here, and it's responses like these that make me think I should look for another forum.
This is by far the best forum so stick around. My RA mil-spec has this quarter cock position and you can pull the trigger and the hammer will fall (not enough to fire the gun though)

Its a feature that I found out about by accident. A little extra safety feature I assume.

I spend a little time each night reading through old posts on here---- A wealth of info
Old 04-27-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
My only point is that stickies and search should always be looked at first. It's quite common for someone to say '' checked stickies or search etc etc''. And that's fine. Someone will be glad to help if that's the case.
But a lot of the older stickies by some of the best smiths seem to have disappeared?
Old 04-28-2013, 09:31 AM

At one point, a staff member and those smiths had a debate about business ethics that ended up with the smiths pulling their posts and/or pictures in protest. The smiths although highly respected in their field were called "armchair gunsmiths" and felt insulted.
Joe
Old 04-28-2013, 12:02 PM

That sucks for everyone, I understand now. Good to know the "staff" has their priorities straight. That member of the "staff" ruined the best part of what it was all about for a lot of people. Wow!