1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > Range Reports

Old 04-26-2013, 02:55 PM

Para 1911- Expert Commander (4.5)

While I realize not everyone is a Para fan I rolled the dice given the great deal I received on this baby.
Rounds used- 230 grain FMJ Ranier reloads, 5.8 grains of HP 38, federal big pistol primers (100 rounds).
First three shot groups deliberately aimed, crouching no support 25 yards. Last three shot groups rapid fire from IWB draw. trigger pull 3.5-4 pounds. Sights- stock- front fiber (no night sights). This is the first PARA I've ever owned, I traded a Bretta nano w/ laser trigger job, nightsights a bunch of mags and a few things laying around in my safe and bam! $799 1911 in my hands. The hand grips..i've already purchased new ones, While they are not to my liking/Feel that I desire they do provide about average grip you would expect on an out of the box 1911 for under 900 bucks..I prefer the Sig sights grips and trigger out of all 1911s under 1000 bucks. The Para trigger feels crisp on the pull but does not have that 100% custom feel as it is plastic. Still, better than any plastic gun i've ever fired (Glock, XD, XDM etc). The Barrel and barrel nut fit like a glove and honestly feel almost like match. I did not expect that. The recoil spring and rod have perfect tension, I'm ejecting so hard my cases were landing 15 feet behind me. Zero malfunctions, I might note i did not lubricate the weapon before firing..I meant too..I forgot. At any rate the weapon is far more accurate than I am, even though there are several things I intend to do to it..such as replace the plastic trigger and I already ordered night sights..she feels and fires better than most guns in the 7-850 $$ price range. The reason I really like this as a carry option is it fits the bill for accuracy, weight and initial precision and I wouldn't feel bad if it ends up sitting in an evidence locker..

Old 04-27-2013, 03:01 PM

4.25 barrel rather...turns out it is supposed to match lol. Guess I should have done some research rather than impluse buy lol.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:13 PM

Thanks for the post. I cant wait to shoot mine. Picked up a Para Black Ops single stack.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:48 PM

i fired another 150 rounds today so I could loosely follow the break in guide. My groups are much tighter adjusting to the plastic trigger. I realize this is a GI model ie GI sights but im not a fan of the non glow fiber optic front sight. it is difficult to see in doors. I had to cancel my night sights order as I found out the tritium's I ordered will not fit my slide. I put a shout out to Tom from Para to see what options I have. I carried the old girl all day surprisingly more comfortable than I expected.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:07 PM

I have had all of the major brands at one time or another including my time with uncle sam and I was also impressed with my Para expert,close to 500 rounds and only 1 misfeed.Time will tell but it seems like a solid pistol.Congrats.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:58 AM

After a few adjustments..

So after adjusting the trigger take up and pull (plastic mind you) and the addition of a wilson combat bullet proof hammer..here are the results..the rest of my wilson goodies including a real trigger..should be in today..cant believe a few adjustments made that much difference. not bad groups for GI sights and a lousy shooter at 25 yards.
[IMG]
0502131246[/IMG]
Old 05-13-2013, 08:54 AM

Glad i found this, i was in the new Gander Mt. "super gun center" that just opened down the road from me, and they had three of these. I was very impressed fit and feel, very light with the aluminum frame and for price the action felt good.

I know Para does have some hiccups in the recent past, but seems what i have been reading is they have applied themselves with focus on better products.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundawg82 View Post
Glad i found this, i was in the new Gander Mt. "super gun center" that just opened down the road from me, and they had three of these. I was very impressed fit and feel, very light with the aluminum frame and for price the action felt good.

I know Para does have some hiccups in the recent past, but seems what i have been reading is they have applied themselves with focus on better products.
I pushed another 500 total rounds through her since the last post here. She cycles like a dream. As mentioned I did toss about 250 bucks of wlison aftermarket into her but she fired just fine without it...just looking for tighter shot groups with trigger/ hammer components (Wilson Combat bullet proof.) One note- GI sights as endless hords have mentioned are not to everyone's liking. Night sights for this model can be found here-http://xssights.com/index.php?nID=si...ts&sID=handgun
Old 05-15-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laptop Ranger View Post
I pushed another 500 total rounds through her since the last post here. She cycles like a dream. As mentioned I did toss about 250 bucks of wlison aftermarket into her but she fired just fine without it...just looking for tighter shot groups with trigger/ hammer components (Wilson Combat bullet proof.) One note- GI sights as endless hords have mentioned are not to everyone's liking. Night sights for this model can be found here-http://xssights.com/index.php?nID=si...ts&sID=handgun
So....$799 for this gun plus another $250 to get it like you wanted?

Keep posting your results and pics of the gun updates.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:44 PM

Thanks for the report. It's a good looking weapon and I like the idea of it. My local gun store carries a lot of para's, maybe they're a distributor. I've stayed away from them because of reputation and what others say, but never had one personally. But I'm open to hearing about all guns.

You have sig 1911? And you like it better?
Old 05-18-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubfromGa View Post
So....$799 for this gun plus another $250 to get it like you wanted?

Keep posting your results and pics of the gun updates.
Not quite, I traded a 400 dollar beretta nano, some other nano gear, holsters and what not and a 75$ plastic lower built out with magpul (all free to me) for a 799 gun. then put 250 bucks into it to make it more like a quality sig or a kimber. so my personal total investment out of pocket was 650$.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJREA View Post
Thanks for the report. It's a good looking weapon and I like the idea of it. My local gun store carries a lot of para's, maybe they're a distributor. I've stayed away from them because of reputation and what others say, but never had one personally. But I'm open to hearing about all guns.

You have sig 1911? And you like it better?
Had a sig carry nitron. In my opinion by far the best value in 1911s under 1000 bucks with night sights crisp trigger quality internals and hammer. You can pick up a used stainless for about the same price or a little less than a new para. Now the para is fine and very accurate, but buck for buck the sig is better. As mentioned I got this on a heck of a deal. its my beater.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:07 PM

just under 2000 rounds down range of cast, leadless all 230 grain, 185grn nosler custom grade,walmart range fodder and hornady HAP and 230grn self defense and +P loads and only one malfunction- failure to feed due to the reloader... somebody needs to teach that guy to look for malformed rounds..
Old 05-19-2013, 11:30 PM

Nice looking rig. I almost pulled the trigger on a set of those Punisher grips but opted instead to go with a classy checkered rosewood instead. Now I'm thinking it would be fun to have a set of Punisher grips just to put on sometimes.
Ruger Single Six Convertible
Old 05-20-2013, 10:43 AM

I was unfair earlier when comparing Para GI to Sig Nitron. This is a fine weapon that has functioned amazingly and I defiantly would recommend it as a carry weapon. I unfairly compared a GI model weapon to a custom. I can not think of a GI model that comes with night sights as a standard feature. So in that regard I apologize. Here is a 7 yard (i paced it so could be a little short) 2 handed fun test 10 rounds centered- the rest were the leftovers from a day of shooting that made me smile. My hats off to Para for designing a quality weapon at a low price that give me more $$ for bullets .
Old 05-21-2013, 04:32 PM

I just fondled one today at the LGS. Is it aluminum framed? It felt really light.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJREA View Post
I just fondled one today at the LGS. Is it aluminum framed? It felt really light.
yes sir. it sure is.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laptop Ranger View Post
yes sir. it sure is.
That's what I thought. Thank you.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:41 PM

at the indoor range

My target from the indoor range last week.
Took my Para Expert Commander to the range for the first time and it was shooting low to the left, Had the gunsmith move it to the right and the pic is the result. Look close, there are a lot of holes in the same area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	target.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	100960
Old 07-03-2013, 09:54 AM

Picked up one of these yesterday - can't wait to get out to the range - feels great in the hand and the fit/finish looks great.

My second 1911 platform, but tbh, I didn't have it's predecessor (RIA 1911-A1 CS) very long. The machine marks on that one were pretty bad and it would consistently refuse to go all the way into battery.

Really looking forward to punching some paper with the Para
Old 07-06-2013, 03:41 PM

a worthy investment, i own a P14-45, had my trigger pull decreased to 2 lbs lightened my recoil spring, polied the feed ramp, GREAT SHOOTER!!!
Old 07-06-2013, 03:48 PM

i also took a soldering iron and stiippled the grips
Old 12-09-2013, 03:03 PM

Great postings... thank you... I just purchased one last week and still need to go fire it.... any ideas on where to get a decent holster for it... I see several websites... too big for concealing other than maybe under the arm in a jacket...