1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Les Baer

Old 04-26-2013, 12:38 PM

Dupont s coating

Since I have purchased my first LB I have become hooked (the fever) and addicted. I have for the most parts already decided what my next LB will be. I am looking at the S R P.
The S R P is very similar to my TDP in size accessories ect. The TDP has the BEAT Coating and I have not carried it yes as I am waiting for my CCW. I ont really know how durable it is.
My question is do any of you own a pistol with the Dupont S coating or Bear coating ? What do you think of it ? Would you own another pistol with it if you had a chance ? What are your thoughts on it.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:53 PM

I have a 2002 S.R.P with the OG Baer Coat, never been touched up, never had to go back to Les for any service, love this dang thing to the max, will be buried with it, lol.

Now, I did recently order a new recoil spring plug and the gal at Baer was very courteous in letting me know they now only offer Dupont and that it would be a bit more glossy. They are so cool over there. Well, the part is more glossy but for where it goes and how much surface is seen, you can hardly tell....and bad guys will NOT be checking out the gloss when peering at it from that angle anyhoo, lol!

Thousand or so rounds through it and the hood is barely even worn through, not to mention it's been carried IWB/OWB and no real carry wear to speak of, either. Little bit on ambi safet lever high edge in last pic, thas it. S.R.P. is a great gun and I am forever grateful to my buddy for selling it to me.

To answer your question, IMO, I would buy another Hillsdale S.R.P. in a heartbeat, since the last one with the rollmark and original Baercoat I saw on ARFCOM a few months back sold, unfired with all the goodies. I still regret not getting that'n!

Last edited by Hellsing76; 04-26-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:32 PM

We use Rocky Mountain Arms Bearcoat almost exclusively as a Teflon based finish. It's far superior to the current finish offered, both in looks, and durability.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlchemyCustom View Post
We use Rocky Mountain Arms Bearcoat almost exclusively as a Teflon based finish. It's far superior to the current finish offered, both in looks, and durability.
Alchemy I follow you guys on the forum and on FB and the work you guys do is fantastic "I must say"
But how does the bearcoat you guys have get on the pistol from LB ? Other than having you guys bearcot it after I purchase it.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:45 PM

I just got my SRP, and put 300 rounds down range. The exterior finish looks fine but not sure of its durability. The barrel hood starts to show some signs of wear
Old 04-27-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlchemyCustom View Post
I agree with Rob. Bearcoat is better than the Dupont now offered. Some say they are similar but there is something different. My experience with the new Dupont was not good. When I order a new Baer I will order it with standard bluing and have CJ send it directly to Bearcoat before I get it.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny51966 View Post
Since I have purchased my first LB I have become hooked (the fever) and addicted. I have for the most parts already decided what my next LB will be. I am looking at the S R P.
The S R P is very similar to my TDP in size accessories ect. The TDP has the BEAT Coating and I have not carried it yes as I am waiting for my CCW. I ont really know how durable it is.
My question is do any of you own a pistol with the Dupont S coating or Bear coating ? What do you think of it ? Would you own another pistol with it if you had a chance ? What are your thoughts on it.
I wouldn't worry too much about the durability of the Dupont S on the SRP. Once you put a coating on a gun it becomes less of a beauty queen and more of a hard use gun. So let it wear as it will and don't worry about it. It will protect the gun well for a long time.

Now, once it's worn to heck you get to make a decision about how to address the wear. Either a new Dupont coating, or something else. If it takes 6 months, 6 years, or 20 years to get to that point - don't rush it. I wouldn't recoat the gun on purchase...it's not worth stripping a perfectly good coating to apply one that's 10-20% better. Wear the first one down and then make a decision.

All of the coatings we're talking about are pretty damn good.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:53 AM

I would be cautious in doing this as Bearcoat adds dimension to the parts of an already tightly fit gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee8751 View Post
I agree with Rob. Bearcoat is better than the Dupont now offered. Some say they are similar but there is something different. My experience with the new Dupont was not good. When I order a new Baer I will order it with standard bluing and have CJ send it directly to Bearcoat before I get it.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:06 PM

Juicemt,
Do you have experience with the Dupont S? I like what you said. I have a blued CC on order, and did not get it coated in the first place because of the uncertainty of Baer's newer coating.

So, I was ready to get my gun build started...but still wasn't completely sold on the DuPont S so I ordered it blued. I most likely will break the pistol in, shoot the heck out of it, and get it coated later (hoping better reviews will pop up about the DuPont S).

Even though RMA's Bearcoat has gotten better reviews, my preference is to have my Les Baer gun coated through Les Baer (not sure if he is sending his guns off to get coated or doing it in-house now). Like Brenda @ Les Baer says, it voids the warranty, as each part requires fitting after it has been coated....I want Les' shop doing that fitting work. And by no means am I commenting on other companies, I just want all of the work done to my Baer pistol done through Les Baer Custom...that's simply my own preference.

I have been researching the DuPont S for a few years now...and it certainly bugs me we are still uncertain about the coating. What we need (people considering the DuPont S) are higher quality photos and/or videos of guns with the coating, so we can make a more informed decision about whether to get Dupont S or not.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:58 PM

Nothing beats a nice quality bluing with or without a little honest wear. IMHO.