1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Ammo Can

Old 03-22-2013, 10:06 PM

CCI Mini-Mag 22lr

Ok guys where is all of the CCI Mini-Mag 22LR ammo I have not seen any or even heard of anyone being able to buy it for months?????
Old 03-22-2013, 10:16 PM

Manufacturers have placed priority on meeting Federal, State, then local government orders. The panic buying that started after osh!t was re-elected resulted in the almost immediate depletion of then available stock. Add this to the enterprising souls (God bless their hearts) horded as much as they could to resale at gun shows at ridiculous prices. This means the manufacturers are busy pumping out other calibers and have stopped producing or severely cut production of all non-critical calibers like the 22LR.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:23 PM

Are you saying they are not making 22 minimags?
Old 03-22-2013, 10:24 PM

No, i am saying that production has been temporarily stopped or slowed in order to meet other production demands. This also applies to primers, projectiles, powder, and brass as well.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:29 PM

I wonder if the manufacturer can explain their reason for taking this route, that is, limiting production of 1 caliber to make up for another. There seems to be a shortage of all calibers.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:34 PM

Limited resources, people, and time. When you have a contract worth $$$$$$$$$$$$$ and to make $$$$$$$$$$$$$ so your company succeeds against its competitors and is able to keep its employees paid and covered by insurance, you suspend the stuff that is worth $$$.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:37 PM

Good answer.
Thanks
Old 03-22-2013, 11:46 PM

Don't panic, this will not last long. People will get tired of buying ammo they will never shoot at stupid prices.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:13 AM

FAQ from CCi web site

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT1911 View Post
No, i am saying that production has been temporarily stopped or slowed in order to meet other production demands. This also applies to primers, projectiles, powder, and brass as well.
CCI web site does not support your opinion on this....

We are currently experiencing high demand for our products. We appreciate your patience and support and remain committed to serving all of our customers, from hunters and sport shooters to those who protect our country and our streets.

Q: Why is ammunition in certain calibers so hard to find?

A: The current market and environment is causing stronger than usual demand for products in our industry.

Q: Are certain contracts taking ammunition away from civilians?

A: No. We remain committed to serving all channels of our business. The majority of our product serves the commercial market.

Q: Why can't you just make more ammunition?

A: Our facilities operate 24-hours a day. We are continually making process improvements to increase our efficiency and investing in capital and personnel where we have sustained demand. We are bringing additional capacity online again this year.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/education/faqs.aspx
NRA-USAF (SAC) Vietnam era Vet, Kimber Custom Defender II-Girsan 1911.45 (Hard Chrome)Franchi I-12 Diamond Semi-Auto engraved Shotgun, Mauser 8 MM Sport rifle, High Standard .22 Revolver,.22 Rifle, 20 Gage Shotgun, Phoenix HP.22 Pistol, Ruger SR22 Pistol.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:15 PM

I picked up some CCI minimag in 22lr at a local walmart last week. They has about 1400 rounds and I grabbed 600 of them after a fight about a missing ammo cabinet key. They were playing games, I was in the night before and they said somebody went home with the key, the next morning they said the person with the key isn't in this morning, it wasn't until I pointed out that a few box's were missing that somebody has a key and my wife went that they somehow "found" they key.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:57 PM

if you see any try winchester super x 22lr. it works the same as minimag out of my walther p22
Old 03-23-2013, 09:01 PM

22LR is made on dedicated lines, they can't just "shut it down" and reconfigure to makes something else. It's all panic buying and hoarding, nothing more.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:09 PM

I would not bet on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns&dogs View Post
Don't panic, this will not last long. People will get tired of buying ammo they will never shoot at stupid prices.
There are a lot of really stupid people out there that think that the world is about to end. And they all have credit cards. The banks love it!
Old 03-23-2013, 10:11 PM

There are NO minimags anywhere in sight. 22 LRs in general are almost impossible to find on online sights. There must be more to this than anyone knows.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poul View Post
There are NO minimags anywhere in sight. 22 LRs in general are almost impossible to find on online sights. There must be more to this than anyone knows.
Poul I am with you something smells fishy I just cannot get my head around it.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGC5 View Post
CCI web site does not support your opinion on this....

We are currently experiencing high demand for our products. We appreciate your patience and support and remain committed to serving all of our customers, from hunters and sport shooters to those who protect our country and our streets.

Q: Why is ammunition in certain calibers so hard to find?

A: The current market and environment is causing stronger than usual demand for products in our industry.

Q: Are certain contracts taking ammunition away from civilians?

A: No. We remain committed to serving all channels of our business. The majority of our product serves the commercial market.

Q: Why can't you just make more ammunition?

A: Our facilities operate 24-hours a day. We are continually making process improvements to increase our efficiency and investing in capital and personnel where we have sustained demand. We are bringing additional capacity online again this year.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/education/faqs.aspx
I based my statements on the explanation from a former contact still at Federal Cartridge. I was told all manufacturers are redirecting resources to meet major contracts. This is supported by comments from other manufacturers as well. The CCI comment also smacks of marketing speak for sure we make 22lr, just not right now.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:41 PM

I've been squeezing an occasional box out of my LGS. He hides them behind the counter and charges $15 for what was $7 not long ago.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:24 AM

This is America. Companies do all they can to earn a profit. The CCI plant can only make 22s, The brass for the 22s can't be used for other lines, lead is lead, etc. Federal Cartridge is based in Minnesota, the CCI plant is in ID. A contact in Minn. may not be the most reliable source for a plant 3 states away. There is no grand conspiracy, only more demand than supply can meet. A conspiracy believer will not believe anyone, even the manufacturer, so there's no convincing those who believe what they want. The rest of us can look at the facts.

CCI is owned by ATK:

http://www.atk.com

Before you say George Soros controls ATK:

http://investors.morningstar.com/own...iew.html?t=ATK

So you have a publicly held company that is trying very hard to make money for itself and its shareholders. The CCI plant in Lewiston, ID only makes 22LR ammo, so they gain nothing by 'diverting' resources to other lines, they only lose money.

The only thing fishy is folks who think there is some grand conspiracy out there to deny us ammo. Just go to any gunshow or look online at places like texasguntrader.com or armslist.com for ammo and you'll find plenty.

If there is a consipiracy, it's by all the profiteers who are buying up all the ammo in sight and then trying to resell it at a hideous markup to those who weren't in the right place at the right time.

Just because you haven't seen any ammo doesn't mean it isn't out there. I haven't seen any snow this winter, but that doesn't mean anything for the folks in Minn. or Idaho.

dakotaTex

Last edited by dakotaTex; 03-24-2013 at 02:33 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:06 AM
Administrator

The idea that the government is buying all the ammo up and keeping it away from civilians is a load of bull. The fault lies with those among us who are stuffing their garages and basements with all the ammo they can hold, then going back to the stores looking for more. They're buying it up faster than the companies can produce it. Like USMM guy said there's a lot of people running up their credit cards and/or depleting their savings right now.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:13 AM

There is some .22 LR out there, but it does not stay on the shelves. I was at my LGS when an ammo shipment arrived on Friday morning. It had five cases of .22 Mini-Mags in it, and the cases all sold before the FedEx driver finished delivering all of the ammo. No, I did not buy any of it. I am sitting on a fair amount of .22 Mini-Mags, so I do not need any right now. I do need CCI Standard Velocity and am waiting for that to arrive.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:49 AM

Supply and Demand simple as that..............

But it still has to be Bush's fault!

Old 03-24-2013, 03:35 PM

Economics 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenringx2 View Post
Supply and Demand simple as that..............

But it still has to be Bush's fault!

BHO is the best salesman ever for Gun and ammo industry, his election for another 4 years created a huge stimilus program that actually worked for a change. The .22 Long Rifle rimfire in terms of units sold is still by far the most common in the world.
I don't know how many people own a .22 rifle, Pistol or Revolver but it must be in the millions here in the USA alone. If the owners get 2 or 3 additional boxes each , that adds up to millions of boxes.
I am just shooting .45 cal for now and shooting less. Supply should catch up by summer IMHO.
NRA-USAF (SAC) Vietnam era Vet, Kimber Custom Defender II-Girsan 1911.45 (Hard Chrome)Franchi I-12 Diamond Semi-Auto engraved Shotgun, Mauser 8 MM Sport rifle, High Standard .22 Revolver,.22 Rifle, 20 Gage Shotgun, Phoenix HP.22 Pistol, Ruger SR22 Pistol.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:53 PM

Plus look at all the newbees trying to buy ammo. Invest your money in ammo companies stock, they will be winners for a long time.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:16 PM

To stockpile ammo, to the level that it sounds like some are doing it here is, well, not a smart thing to do with your money. The ammo that is being sold today is at inflated prices and could be worth much less in the future. Even if it gets harder to find the price could go down because people will just stop shooting, no demand, no sales, prices fall. Just wait till the first house burns with tens of thousands of rounds in it. There will be a push to limit how much ammo you can have, and it will be a fire code so no 2nd issue there.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:13 PM

I just sold 4k rounds of .22 LR. I can't shoot that much and don't care to. I still have plenty left too. I have only been reloading for a short time and I don't see myself running short on ammunition anytime soon.