1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Parts and Accessories Bin

Old 03-13-2013, 05:39 PM

Do all 1911 magazines have the same outside dimensions

regardless of caliber?? I know this probably seams like a silly question as you need to use the correct caliber magazine for the gun you are shooting, but there is a method to my madness.

I am fairly new to the 1911. I have 2 and 1/2 of them:

9mm
22 Kimber conversion kit

I don't like the plastic magazine that came with my conversion kit and was wondering if a metal magazine for a factory 1911 22 would work in my 45 with the 22 conversion. I know my 9mm magazine fits in my 45 but didn't know if other calibers like the 22 used thinner magazine shapes and a receiver specific to a thinner magazine. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by Daze; 03-13-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:02 PM
1911 Aficionado

The maximum dimensions for the tubes should be the same, but the feedlips, followers, and internal tube dimensions are generally different for every caliber.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
The maximum dimensions for the tubes should be the same, but the feedlips, followers, and internal tube dimensions are generally different for every caliber.
Thanks for the information. So do you think the magazines for a factory 22 and a 22 conversion would be interchangeable???
Old 03-13-2013, 06:51 PM

Too clever question - do a search on mixing and matching .22 rim fire magazines in the 1911 World. Fit and function are not the same thing.

FREX There are Ciener conversions sold under that name and by various folks under their own name. Some folks at one time packaged the Ciener or another outside maker under their own name and at other times made their own or packaged a different maker's conversion as Ciener has faded from the scene. Rumor says that some Ciener, Marvel and Kimber conversions will work with each other's magazines and some won't as things changed over time.

There are conversions that lock the slide back and conversions that don't lock the slide back.

My own Service Ace conversions with Colt marked Metalform magazines work just fine with Velociters and fail with many other mostly cheaper loads.

So frex magazines for a Colt Service Ace pistol and a Colt Service Ace conversion interchange.

I have no idea whether magazines for a Kimber .22 and a Kimber conversion interchange and I do believe Kimber has actually had a couple different conversions on the market at different times - their own make and a rebranded Platinum Ciener - maybe not.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:33 PM

What's this clip crap?
Old 03-14-2013, 03:52 AM

Colt produced CAL .455 ELEY magazines before WWI that had larger outside dimns than 45 ACP magazines. 45 magazines fit 455 mag wells but not the opposite. Other calibers produced have the "same" dimns as far as I know.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:40 AM

Daze,
The Kimber conversion has an aluminum slide. The Kimber mags do not trip the slide stop when empty for a reason. The aluminum slide impacting on the steel slide stop can damage the slide. I have Colt, Kimber and Ceiner conversions and have tried switching mags. It just doesn't yield satisfactory results. Many folks find the Colt conversion mags, including the new ones from Metalform, to be troublesome. I have found that they may need some attention but are fixable. The Kimber plastic mags have been trouble free. There are no major differences between 1911 frames.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:58 AM

Thanks for all the help and info. I got another little piece of the information puzzle on my own. I ordered a second magazine from Kimber and when it came it was labeled as being for a Kimber 1911 22 not specifically for the conversion kit, even though it is the same magazine so that tells me that Kimber uses the same unit in both there conversion kit and full 22 pistols. Makes sense why retool for the same basic part. With that info any magazine designed to work in a Kimber 22 should work. (found several universal units out there)

I also took ClarkEMyers's suggestion and did a search using the words interchange and magazine. I had done a search before I made this post but just 22 magazine (in truth in my inexperience I looked for "22 clip" ) anyway the original search didn't git me anywhere but the second search yielded the following thread which was also extremely helpful.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...ne+interchange

I guess I will stick with the plastic magazine. I still would prefer metal over plastic but can live with the plastic. When I was first contemplating switching out magazines I was hoping a metal magazine would also put pressure on the slide lock when the magazine was empty and cause the slide to stay open after the last shot. However I didn't even think about the fact that that the steel slide lock rubbing on an aluminum slide would be a horrible idea. I just need to be happy with what I have and quit trying to make it "better"

Thanks again to everyone who replied I learned a lot of valuable information that I will tuck away in the gray matter.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:51 AM

I just a caliper on mags a few years back and no mag was the same, very close but not the same from company to company. Some were not evening the same within in one company. And yes that company is highly spoke about here, and I love them as well still.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:54 PM
1911 Aficionado

Oh, it's definitely the case that modern manufacturers don't stick to the original dimensional specs, but that just means modern mags are out of spec.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:54 PM

That's why I replied "same" in quotes; all mfrs have slightly diff mfg practices and material specs causing slight variation. Some of this variation, ie the imported fake magazines, can affect function.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:29 PM

Many cheap magazines will also have the locking notch cut in the wrong place. If the magazine is sitting in the frame too high or too low you will have feed problems.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:11 AM

The Coonan .357 mags are longer from the rear spine to the front by about 1/4".

Stercus Accidit
Proud member of ***DTSG club