1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 03-11-2013, 08:37 PM

Tisas Zig 1911 vs. Girsan vs. Kimber

Old Shooter but got my first 1911 in January. Ordered a Tisas from Bud's based on reviews for a 1911 under $500.00. When I went to pick up from my local FFL, I purchased a mint Kimber Custom Defender on impulse.
Stripped cleaned and lubed both. Kimber had a precision look and feel but the Zig seemed pretty nice for less than 1/2 the cost of my used Kimber. Zig has a hard Forged Barrel like my old Weatherby shotgun also made in Turkey.
Fired several boxes of various FMJ through both guns. No problem with either one. My son now has the Zig.

Several more boxes of FMJ and a box of Golden Sabers through the Kimber with no issues. It is a "Keeper". I did order a Girsan 1911 today (Hard chrome model), also made in Turkey that I may give to a family member. Although I prefer to buy American the Zig and Girsan were both purchased from an American dealer, shipped via an American company to my local American gun shop. My next 1911 will be a Ruger Commander as soon as they come off B/O.
Must be the OCD kicking in.
NRA-USAF (SAC) Vietnam era Vet, Kimber Custom Defender II-Girsan 1911.45 (Hard Chrome)Franchi I-12 Diamond Semi-Auto engraved Shotgun, Mauser 8 MM Sport rifle, High Standard .22 Revolver,.22 Rifle, 20 Gage Shotgun, Phoenix HP.22 Pistol, Ruger SR22 Pistol.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:38 AM

How do you like girsan compared to tisas?
I am debating between those two.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:52 PM

Denoxster,
I've had both the TISAS and the Girsan. The TISAS is still in my home and the Girsan is not. The fit and finish of the TISAS is much better as well as the overall "feel" and shoot-ability. The Girsan wore the finish quicker than any I've ever dealt with (after 100 holster draws it looked more like 1000). The TISAS had barely started to wear. I upgraded to Novak sights, Wilson Combat hammer and grip safety and a 15# recoil spring after getting rid of the Girsan. A friend has a Springfield TRP and he says the TISAS handles "as good if not better" than his Springfield after the upgrades.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:15 PM

Thank you for your quick reply.
You really convinced me to go with Tisas.
How much does it cost to replace the sights part+labor?
Old 05-23-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricFlannery View Post
Denoxster,
I've had both the TISAS and the Girsan. The TISAS is still in my home and the Girsan is not. The fit and finish of the TISAS is much better as well as the overall "feel" and shoot-ability. The Girsan wore the finish quicker than any I've ever dealt with (after 100 holster draws it looked more like 1000). The TISAS had barely started to wear. I upgraded to Novak sights, Wilson Combat hammer and grip safety and a 15# recoil spring after getting rid of the Girsan. A friend has a Springfield TRP and he says the TISAS handles "as good if not better" than his Springfield after the upgrades.
I had the opposite experience with the finish on my Tisas. Within 3 days of carry I already had wear on the hard corners thru to bare metal. I am also getting full depth wear on the slide around the ejection port. EDC holster is a Blackhawk OWB polymer. I shudder to think what leather would do to the finish. Mil-spec Parkerized? I don't think so! It will be soon though.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:06 PM

I carry my Tisas/Regent every day in horse hide and it still looks like brand new.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:21 AM

I have a Girsan, and a friend has a Tisas. The overall fit of my Girsan is quite a bit better than his Tisas, but the finish on his Tisas is much more durable than my Girsan. I did like the stock trigger pull on his better too, but I've done a trigger job on mine to get it how I like it. I've read just the opposite from a few people now though, so I really think a lot of it is just luck of the draw with these cheap Turkeys. They both seem like decent guns for the price IMO.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:02 AM

JuanMoore....what type of trigger job did you do on your Girsan? I have one and I would like to change it (improve). Thanks

Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-24-2013, 10:44 AM

Denoxster,
As for price for sights (parts and labor) I couldn't honestly tell you. I have a friend that is a gunsmith that owed me a favor for some work I did for him.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger45ACP View Post
JuanMoore....what type of trigger job did you do on your Girsan? I have one and I would like to change it (improve). Thanks
After the first trip to the range I did a detail strip, and stoned the trigger track. It was really rough in there. I also polished the trigger bow, and essentially every contact point of the trigger group with the exception of the contact points between the hammer and sear. It smoothed the trigger out a lot, and brought the pull down from 6.2# to 5#. I still didn't like all of the lateral and vertical play in the undersized trigger, so I bought a wilson combat trigger. I may mess with it some more to reduce the trigger pull just a tad more when I get a chance.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:35 AM

@EricFlannery thanks for your reply. Is your safety grip drop in or have to be modified?
@JuanMoore please update us with the trigger job.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denoxster View Post
Thank you for your quick reply.
You really convinced me to go with Tisas.
How much does it cost to replace the sights part+labor?
Good night sights, for a 1911, will often run from $80 to $150. Installation, from $25 to $50. I know that's a large variance, but sights and labor varies.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:22 PM

Denoxster,
Said "drop-in" but took a little filing to get it to work just right.