Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Rock Island Armory

Old 03-11-2013, 12:27 AM

RIA tactical 10mm

Does anyone have one of the new 10mm yet? If so how do you like it. Thanks Al
Old 03-11-2013, 04:01 AM

I want one of these...
Old 03-11-2013, 01:22 PM

Yes. Love it. It's not big on cycling Federal American Eagle Target (weak loads), but Rem UMC, SD and hotter handloads are a joy. I'm not in love with the bull barrel design (this is my first bb), but I endure it happily.

Some have reported excessive copper fouling of barrels but I haven't had this problem with the ~300 rounds down the pipe.

I ditched the magwell and added Pearce finger grooves till I'm ready to let her go for some front strap checkering.

Worth mich more than the $599 price tag. Local LGS accused me of having it worked on 'cause it is fit very well. They had one on display a week later.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:39 PM

Awesome gun, see my review on Glock Talk, just google "Rock Island Armory 10mm Review Part TWO!!" or some of the ones on here.

Overall it's a great 10mm for the price and with some tweaking.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmonster7 View Post
Awesome gun, see my review on Glock Talk, just google "Rock Island Armory 10mm Review Part TWO!!" or some of the ones on here.

Overall it's a great 10mm for the price and with some tweaking.

Yeah... I want one of them as well.
Even with the tweeks, and upgrade, its still cheaper then any other 1911 in 10mm out there(Delta Elite, Kimber eclipse, DW).

RIA come out with them with either full/half rail forged frame, its gonna be a winner..
Old 03-15-2013, 08:13 PM

I got one in Dec. I love it.
Committee Member, Northwest Oklahoma Friends Of NRA. 2012 #2 Nationally Fundraising Committee
Old 04-09-2013, 12:26 AM

Ok I just picked one of these up and I think I am going to like it alot. Any of you 10mm shooters order any magazines for yours yet? If so whos did you get. Thanks Al
Old 04-09-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl52 View Post
Ok I just picked one of these up and I think I am going to like it alot. Any of you 10mm shooters order any magazines for yours yet? If so whos did you get. Thanks Al
Yea I have, mine has been back to RIA twice for feeding issues. No doubt about it, even Sean out at RIA recommends, the Wilson tatical 10mm mags for their RIA 10mm pistols. I've tried them all including the Tripp and the Wilson is the best in my RIA.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Last edited by bowhunter; 04-09-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:19 PM

Thanks Bowhunter. Did they get your feeding issues handled yet? I did just order 2 of the wilson Magazines and I agree I do like there magazines. I have some for the 45acp's that I own
Old 04-09-2013, 04:58 PM

Took mine out again last Saturday. Ive had the gun sonce Dec. The only plinking ammo I could find was American eagle. I was a bit concerned since for my Underwood carry ammo I had changed the recoil spring to a Wolff 20 lb. But it ate the crap ammo just fine 300 rounds with no malfunction.
Committee Member, Northwest Oklahoma Friends Of NRA. 2012 #2 Nationally Fundraising Committee
Old 04-10-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl52 View Post
Thanks Bowhunter. Did they get your feeding issues handled yet? I did just order 2 of the wilson Magazines and I agree I do like there magazines. I have some for the 45acp's that I own
It's on the way back to me the 1st time out they had it 90% biggest issue I had was I could not drop the slide on a FULL MAG or sling shot load it on a FULL mag, and for IDPA that's a must so I sent it back, and Sean worked the feed ramp some more, and when I sent it back this time I sent one of my Wilson mags along as it was the only mag I could get too feed most of the time when full, and Sean agreed that the Wilson mag seems to present the bullet the best for the 10mm feed ramp.

He says it running great now we'll see
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Old 04-22-2013, 08:48 PM

Just got my 20lb wolf spring. So you guys that have changed these had any feed issues with lighter loads at all? Thanks Al
Old 05-06-2013, 08:24 PM

I got my RIA 10mm 2 weeks ago. I shot Fed Eagle and Remi UMC 180grain target loads so far, only 100 rounds. I got some Armscore ammo today to try out as well.

I had a Fail to Eject once on the Fed Eagle (caught into the ejection port) and one fail to feed totaly with the UMC. Both cleared easy. The book with mine says it needs a break-in just like Kimber is saying. I'll run 200 more next week into it and see what if any failures happen. I got a Check Mate magazine and it seems to work better fine, both failures were with the factory mag even though a failure to eject fully has nothing to do with the mag.

I did notice on the Fed Eagle run I had a patch of brass show up on the slide's blueing behind the ejection port.

Once I am done with the Armscore ammo, I will start reloading for it. I did find some 40 Bullets in 180grain.

ArtU
Old 05-06-2013, 09:26 PM

Were you able to find any dies for your 10mm?
Old 05-06-2013, 11:43 PM

Shot mine for the first time yesterday. Had some lead 200 grain loads with universal clays loaded up. They shot great and so did the factory ammo I had. Not one failure and all the brass was thrown a good distance from where I was shooting. I reallly like this 10mm. Al
Old 05-07-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIGHT AL View Post
Were you able to find any dies for your 10mm?
40 caliber dies will also work for 10mm.

Find Us On Facebook!
Class 01 FFL Dealer
Old 08-05-2013, 04:57 PM

I picked up a new RIA 1911 A1 FS Tactical II 10mm a few days ago. It failed load or feed any ammo when received. I adjusted the magazine lips and follower and firearm began to feed ok.

Using low power federal rounds 180g @ 1030 muzzle velocity the pistol operates ok. Hornady 155g at 1250 muzzle velocity causes slide lock to lock slide back after every round fired. The slide lock just barely engaged in the slide, just enough to stop it from working. The slide lock was also removing the finish on the side of the frame after 40 rounds since backside of lock lever was coarse finished. I filed the slide lock in several areas to allow for operation of the gun with the slightly stronger rounds. I did not try full power loads.

When testing for accuracy, I was not able to get on paper at 25 yards with first 3 shots. I was not able to get on paper at 15 yards with 3 shots. I was not able to get on paper at 7 yards. A laser sighting guide mounted on end of barrel revealed pistol was shooting ~26" high and ~6 inches to the right @ 25 yards. The adjustable sights where no match for this amount of defective. Local gunsmith indicated a significant barrel problem and recommended to not fire weapon again without at minimum replacement of the barrel.

The recoil spring is not any stronger than my RIA 1911 A1 FS .45 ACP. The finish seems easy to scratch compared to my RIA .45ACP and RIA 38 Super models. The slide lock is/was not allowing for operation with semi full power loads. The barrel is defective. Grips are great

Pistol was returned to Davidson's for replacement. As usual inventory is non existent and I am waiting for replacement pistol.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:48 AM

I probably would have contacted RIA directly and requested a replacement pistol. More likely to get a replacement faster that way.

Find Us On Facebook!
Class 01 FFL Dealer
Old 08-06-2013, 10:58 AM

There must have been a delivery of RIA 10MM. pistols in the USA.
I received a E-Mail message from CDNN, yesterday, saying, that they have the RIA 10MM. pistols in stock, $619.00

I am just passing this on, I don't buy from them...

mamitchell19...call them, they may have some now?

If you have problems with RIA pistols, use their repair service, they can fix or replace your pistol...they have a great CS.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:13 AM

I know where there's another one for sale Al. You don't need a matched pair do you?

Find Us On Facebook!
Class 01 FFL Dealer

Last edited by Olympus; 08-06-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:40 PM

RIA customer service responded to my first contact quickly and offered to repair pistol. I opted for a replacement through Davidson's since this one seemed to be challenged from the start. I was concerned with getting an initially poorly constructed pistol being made into a reworked, refinished parts pistol while being fixed.

My other two RIA pistols are very good shooters. I have had the standard model in .45 ACP for quite some time and it has a great value vs. performance ratio. The 38 super was purchased recently as well and has functioned flawless for about 300 + rounds. I have started to search for the best loading in 38 Super and have already decided it will be a great platform-caliber combination.

If anyone is considering the RIA 1911 A1 FS 10mm model, it may be worth your time to examine it closely before taking home. Once the distorted barrel was shown to me it was clear I would have noticed the fault had I disassembled gun before taking it to the range.

I think RIA is producing good products and will purchase more from them in the future.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:03 PM

I know the 10mm is a bull barrel , but is it a ramped barrel??

Thanks

..L.T.A.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:26 PM

Yes mine was ramped but don't know which kind of barrel style. Wilson/Nowlin - Clark/Para etc
Old 08-06-2013, 09:33 PM

I have one in Layaway.
Hoping to pick it up by September 16th(my birthday)...
Old 08-08-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamitchell19 View Post
Yes mine was ramped but don't know which kind of barrel style. Wilson/Nowlin - Clark/Para etc
Yes they are ramped. Cut is the Clark/para style.
Get a 40s&w barrel with a bushing from storm lake. Then you can run it in uspsa comps or idpa.