1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 03-04-2013, 09:24 PM

Girsan vs Rock Island Armory

Does anyone have any experience with both Girsan and Rock Island Armory?

Everyone say that the best entry level 1911 is RIA, but I have been hearing a lot of great reviews of the Girsan 1911s.

Can anybody tell me why one would be better than the other?
Old 03-05-2013, 08:48 AM

The Girsan from Turkey looks very interesting for the price. I have a couple RIAs and they are O.K. for the price also. I will probably buy one of the base MC1911s when I see it out of curiosity.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:31 PM

I'm in the market for a 1911 < $600 and so far I am leaning toward the Girsan MC1911SHC-G2. Buds sells it for $500. I really prefer a silver finish, whether chrome, polished, or brushed. A 4" barrel would be nice for carry but the 5" is fine too.

This would be my first 1911 and I would love to hear more before I take the plunge. RIA, Regent Arms, Metro Arms, Tisas, etc, etc, etc are all making guns in this range.. How does one decide??
Old 03-09-2013, 02:39 PM

My biggest beef with the RIA is the billboard on the slide. It reminds me of the big stickers guys put on their back windows.
Subdued is better, less is more.
Let the quality of the gun speak louder than the huge logo on the side of it.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trust_me View Post
I'm in the market for a 1911 < $600 and so far I am leaning toward the Girsan MC1911SHC-G2. Buds sells it for $500. I really prefer a silver finish, whether chrome, polished, or brushed. A 4" barrel would be nice for carry but the 5" is fine too.

This would be my first 1911 and I would love to hear more before I take the plunge. RIA, Regent Arms, Metro Arms, Tisas, etc, etc, etc are all making guns in this range.. How does one decide??
You decide by what fits and suits you! Not to sound too bossy, but what I am saying is, you need to research, ask what do you want from the weapon, what will you use it for, learn as much as you can and then pull the trigger on the purchase. As for what to buy, you will get a plethora of answers from eveyone who owens one of the pistols you have named or in that price range. I understand why you are asking, but I will give a biased answer in favor of the one I own, not any of what you listed is a bad 1st purchase. RIA has been making .45's for a long time and they pretty much have it down pat, good product and great service, Regent is made in Turkey by a company that makes military weapons, that speaks for itself, Metro Arms, Tisas, again good entry level. Its like ice-cream, what flavor do you like best? At my LGD, there is a in-side range, you can rent about every make of 1911 is and find out which one suits. I hope you get what I am saying and I do hope it helped. All too often, I have heard guys @ the range after buying saying they wished they had of shot one before they bought it!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:40 PM

Well who makes the best Turkish 1911? Regent, Tisas or Girsan?
Old 03-10-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammy1o9 View Post
Well who makes the best Turkish 1911? Regent, Tisas or Girsan?
So far i love the quality of my girsan. Great accuracy. Excellent slide to frame fit. And a very nice finish
Old 03-11-2013, 04:51 PM

Well since you narrowed it down, I own a Regent r100, love it, grab it when going out the door, I take to range, the woods and carry........I have been thru every part, top quality workmanship and have not had a single issue......I am ole school and I run thru the tube w/the 1911 was designed for, Ball FMJ.....so as for feeding, not a hitch.
Nice sharp machining, good finish and the only thing I changed was the grips to a more deeper cut G-10 GI Issue set of grips.
I believe this to be to sleeper 1911, because made in Turkey, alot of guys pass it up...then when they have the chance to operate....man why did I not buy one of those....speaking of which......paid $418.00 before taxes, have now seen the price increase almost $200.00 @ the LGD
And I have a feeling as more begin to buy them, they will keep going up. 1st RIA I bought was just over $300.00.....LGD is selling that same RIA today f/$600.00
So if that helps, grap one up, you will not be sorry you did.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:18 PM

This is my girsan. Only thing ive changed is the grips, it shoots very well. And i love that it has no advertising

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1363040247333.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	95917
Old 03-12-2013, 06:29 AM

wow that is the prettiest looking 1911 in that price range in my opinion.

Last edited by cammy1o9; 03-12-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGHensley View Post
Well since you narrowed it down, I own a Regent r100, love it, grab it when going out the door, I take to range, the woods and carry........I have been thru every part, top quality workmanship and have not had a single issue......I am ole school and I run thru the tube w/the 1911 was designed for, Ball FMJ.....so as for feeding, not a hitch.
Nice sharp machining, good finish and the only thing I changed was the grips to a more deeper cut G-10 GI Issue set of grips.
I believe this to be to sleeper 1911, because made in Turkey, alot of guys pass it up...then when they have the chance to operate....man why did I not buy one of those....speaking of which......paid $418.00 before taxes, have now seen the price increase almost $200.00 @ the LGD
And I have a feeling as more begin to buy them, they will keep going up. 1st RIA I bought was just over $300.00.....LGD is selling that same RIA today f/$600.00
So if that helps, grap one up, you will not be sorry you did.
Tisas makes those for regent right? Do you know if there is any difference between the Tisas GI and Regent GI?
Old 03-12-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackly View Post
My biggest beef with the RIA is the billboard on the slide. It reminds me of the big stickers guys put on their back windows.
Subdued is better, less is more.
Let the quality of the gun speak louder than the huge logo on the side of it.
That's the one thing that makes me cringe at RIAs. Plus, I looked at one yesterday at the LGS, they wanted $539. I couldn't find one online. So for $100 less I ordered a Girsan.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:48 AM

Good deal on the 1911. You also need to see what warranty terms include, RIA offers a lifetime warranty on the firearm, not just to the original owner, Girsan offers a 1 year warranty. Not saying that is the only thing to consider but it is a big consideration.

As for "let the quality of the gun speak louder than the huge logo on the side of it" do some research and you will see that it is an excellent 1911 with Customer Support that you will not find with any other firearm manufacturer!!

COTEP Member # CBOB0152
Old 04-05-2013, 07:01 AM

Here's a quick pic of my Girsan GEN-II S

I've added the VZ grips by simply modifying the factory grip screws.
If you don't know yet...the grip screw bushings are sized differently..I've got a pretty easy fix for this already figured out..I just need to find the time to do it.

After my fix..I should be able to use standard 1911 grip screws and bushings.

It's not a big deal and is a pretty easy fix for most to do.

In the meantime...I just chucked the stock grip screws up...into a nut...that was in my cordless makita drill.

Then..i simply rotate the screw...while using my cordless dremel with a barrel sander on it...and turn down the outside diameter of the screw heads.

As I'm doing it..I check by trying to insert the screw into a standard 45 grip..to see if it will counter-sink.

As soon as it does...I move on to the next screw.

All in..it took me less than 10 minutes to do the entire process to make my Girsan's stock grip screws fit standard grips.

Anyways..here's what it looks like with my VZ's of choice on it:

Some people have talked about issues with the front site blade being too large...it looks like they have addressed this..on my gun anyways...I just got it a few days ago...and my front site blade looks considerably shorter than others that I've seen posted.

So hopefully they've dealt with this issue pretty quickly

I'll report back with how it went at the shooting range when my work allows me time to get it out:

Old 04-09-2013, 02:03 AM

Could always just change the bushings too, right? Avoid the trouble in case a screw head breaks or so,etching along those lines
Old 04-09-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rad View Post
Could always just change the bushings too, right? Avoid the trouble in case a screw head breaks or so,etching along those lines
You won't be able to easily change the bushings. The Girsan frame is NOT steel, but an alloy. The bushings are attached to a steel insert that is pressed into the frame. I tried tapping mine out to the standard .236-60 and ended up destroying the insert. It's at the smith now getting oversized bushings put in with Locktite.

I have a thread going with my experiences with this pistol. All positive as far as fit, function and finish. I'm just doing some customizing because I want to, not because it needs it. Out of the box it is a very nice pistol. My first 1911 also, bought from Bud's.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:36 PM

Hmm, I'm not sure how I feel about that. I'm thinking of getting one for no other reason than just to try it for the price.

However I have a couple friends interested in 1911s and for a good price especially. Don't want to steer people toward something that will be hard to deal with though.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rad View Post
Hmm, I'm not sure how I feel about that. I'm thinking of getting one for no other reason than just to try it for the price.
Absolutely worth the money. Only "issue" is of my own making with the grip bushings. Shoots nice, tight frame to slide fit, great finish. I don't think you will be disappointed.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:01 AM

The grip bushings are a pretty simple fix.... And wouldn't cause me to think twice about getting one. As you can see from my simple screw mod above. .. You really wouldn't even have to mess with the bushings... If you just wanted to do a grip change.
No danger in breaking the screws. .I didn't change their overall diameter at all.... really.

Last edited by Wheeler-Dealer; 04-10-2013 at 01:23 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:14 AM

Yeah, I caused my problem because I wanted stainless screws to go with the look I was shooting for and since the screws themselves are not standard that is how I ended up with my bushing problem.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:52 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tx6AepCX3w

A review/range report/warranty return video I just made on the Girsan: