1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 03-03-2013, 07:11 AM

Best Commander size 45 for $1000?

I just sold my Kimber Ultra Carry II to my son so I'm in the market for a new CCW 1911. I want a 4" this time. I have about $1000 to spend in today's strange firearms economy and have been looking at Colt on gunbroker for the low-mid 900s which after shipping and FFL fees is about 1000 and also handled a nice Sig Fastback at a LGS yesterday. Any thoughts on these choices or other ideas appreciated.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:43 AM

Rugers new Commander sized 1911 would be a great choice

SA Range Officer, SA LW Champion, Colt Combat Commander 1975 vintage
Old 03-03-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45srbst View Post
I just sold my Kimber Ultra Carry II to my son so I'm in the market for a new CCW 1911. I want a 4" this time. have been looking at Colt on gunbroker for the low-mid 900s which after shipping and FFL fees is about 1000 and also handled a nice Sig Fastback at a LGS yesterday.
no experience with Sig 1911s , but Colt is always a good choice in "my" book.
But their Commander is 4 1/4", not 4 if that matters

I'd put Springfield Champion on your list of possible choices too, as well as S&W's Commander size offerings

..L.T.A.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:54 AM

I'd take a look at the STI Ranger if I were you. It's the commander version of their "Trojan", which is widely regarded as an incredible bang for buck. I almost got a hard chromed ranger over a springfield TRP a month back.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:55 AM

Colt. Then it would not be just Commander sized, it would be a Commander!
Old 03-03-2013, 08:32 AM

I've got a Sig Fastback, and I love it. Drop dead reliable (although it only has about 500 rounds down the pipe), and it is as accurate as I am. Despite the steel frame, I don't find it any harder to carry than my Kimber Ultra CDP.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:41 AM

Really, for $1008 the STI Ranger II is your best option. If you should need service for STI customer service is second to none.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:55 AM

The Kimber Pro TLE is a nice gun for around $1000 that comes with front strap checkering and night sights. I had one for about a year before trading it for a Colt XSE Commander. I traded because the Colt was what I originally wanted. With that said, the Kimber was the nicer finished of the two and a better value, IMO.
...arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. ...Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law-abiding) deprived the use of them. -- Thomas Paine
Old 03-03-2013, 09:20 AM

I was in the same boat but had a little more to spare (sold an Ultra and wanted a Pro). Decided to finally get a Warrior and just use the XD9 subcompact for carry, until I find that perfect 4" 1911.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:32 PM

I would vote for the Kimber TLE Pro. I have an Ultra TLE II which I am very happy with.

NRA Member
Colt Lightweight Commander, Kimber Custom II, Kimber Custom TLE II RL,Kimber Ultra TLE II, Kimber Raptor Pro II SS.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:59 PM

I would suggest;

Colt Combat Commander
Ruger Commander sized
Both the Colt and the Ruger are 4-1/4" bushed guns

Also, the Kimber Pro Carry II is an excellent Commander-sized gun. 4" Bull Barrel.
Msgt., USAF,Ret.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Waits View Post
I would suggest;

Colt Combat Commander
Ruger Commander sized
Both the Colt and the Ruger are 4-1/4" bushed guns

Also, the Kimber Pro Carry II is an excellent Commander-sized gun. 4" Bull Barrel.
Has anyone seen a Ruger SR1911 commander in the wild? I have seen one on display at a gun shop but it was for display only. Guess they didn't want to sell it and not have a model to build up hype or something to get people excited and place their orders.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:09 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I would go for the STI if I could find one for the listed price. Other than that I'm leaning toward the Colt. I liked my Kimber a lot, but want to try out another brand. Except for one post, I'm not hearing anything about the Sigs. Thoughts why? Thanks again.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:22 PM

Colt, for sure.

Rick

Old 03-03-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmebuildr View Post
Rugers new Commander sized 1911 would be a great choice
Patrick Sweeney did a review on the 4.25" steel frame Commander sized 1911 in the latest "Guns & Ammo" and it received very good reviews. There are rumors that Ruger may make this available in an "Alloy" frame in the near future.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:46 PM

As I have stated on another thread about Steel frame vs Alloy, steel WILL last longer for those who shoot a lot. Those in the know say that an aluminum 1911 frame has a service life of about 15K to 20K rounds. For the steel frame 1911, it's about 50K to 100K depending who you ask.

Bottom line is, that if you shoot a bunch...go with a steel frame!
Old 03-03-2013, 03:04 PM

Sig would also be a very good option. Sig does NOT manufacture their own 1911, at least not their GSR model. They assemble them using high end components from other manufactures.

They start out with frames made by Caspian. Sig could get the other parts needed for the build from a single supplier which would be more cost effective for Sig. Instead, they select specific parts that they feel are the "Best". So essentially, you're getting a "Custom Build" right out of the box from Sig. Is it a good value? I think it is.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEBEE711 View Post
Sig would also be a very good option. Sig does NOT manufacture their own 1911, at least not their GSR model. They assemble them using high end components from other manufactures.

They start out with frames made by Caspian. Sig could get the other parts needed for the build from a single supplier which would be more cost effective for Sig. Instead, they select specific parts that they feel are the "Best". So essentially, you're getting a "Custom Build" right out of the box from Sig. Is it a good value? I think it is.
are you sure about all that??

Caspian frames are cast, no?
and Ruger's Pine Tree casting facility makes them for Caspian as I understand it

and I wouldn't consider assembling a bunch of parts from different vendors as a "custom" build

..L.T.A.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:17 PM

+1 for Sig. I have an RCS that has been 100% reliable.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:31 PM

Have you considered a Kimber compact, pretty hard to beat for a carry gun. Other makers have the same thing also, officers frame 4 inch barrel. I replaced my Ultra with a compact, love it .
Old 03-03-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappi View Post
are you sure about all that??

Caspian frames are cast, no?
and Ruger's Pine Tree casting facility makes them for Caspian as I understand it

and I wouldn't consider assembling a bunch of parts from different vendors as a "custom" build

..L.T.A.
What is your point you're trying to make on Caspian frames being "Cast"? "Forged" parts don't automatically mean "better. Some of the strongest gun actions made today like the (Ruger Redhawks and Super Redhawks, for instance...just too name a few. I've yet to see a cast frame caspian fall apart or crack! Have you?

We're not just talking about a "bunch of parts from different vendors". I'm talking about a "bunch" of QUALITY parts from different vendors. I think many people who custom build their own 1911, select parts from more than just ONE vendor. So yes, I do consider a Sig to be a custom build. Didn't say it was from one of the high demand custom "One Off" from a few "Smith's" that make them.

But I do respect your opinion, I just don't agree with it.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:04 PM

Colt 1991 stainless Commander, 4.25" barrel.

Bought one about a year ago.

It's my favorite 1911.

925 new.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:05 PM

I've been very satisfied with my Colt lightweight Commander.
perfect for my needs. Easy to carry, accurate and reliable.
Its a tool not a museum piece.
If I wear it out, well they make new ones every day.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:39 PM

Last month I picked up a Kimber Compact CDP II for the wife for a carry gun and all I can say is that it's one fine firearm. It has the 4" barrel, but as I see your looking for something other than a Kimber.

When the Ruger SR1911CMD came out I wanted one, and finally bought one last week. This also is a very nice weapon and in your price range. The gun feels very well balanced. IMO it's much easier to field strip and reassemble than the Kimber CDP II and cost much less. For a good review of this new Ruger check out this link at Gunblast..
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SR1911CMD.htm
Old 03-03-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETUSA1SG View Post
I am looking to sell my Sig 1911 NITRO CARRY , 4 inch barrell. I bought in in Novemeber, got caught up in the whole 1911 hype, but I am a GLOCK man. So, I am looking to sell this fine handgun. Never been fired!!! Buyer would get case, two magazines, lock and of course the weapon. Buyer is responsible for Federal background check cost.
I suggest that you read the rules, WTS adds for guns on this forum are NOT allowed!!!