1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Training Talk & Events

Old 02-27-2013, 05:58 PM

Gunsecret.com is this for real?

Has anybody done this online class for your ccw? gunsecret.com

Last edited by sparks701; 02-27-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:20 PM

Ummm...what?

No shooting?
Old 02-28-2013, 05:21 AM

On line gun training for concealed carry

I believe all concealed carry gun training should require live fire with at least 50 or more rounds of pistol ammo. An on-line training class is not in the best interests of anyone, unless they already have extensive firearms training to begin with.

This is just a way for the owner of the training class to make a few extra bucks with no effort on his part.....
Old 02-28-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpetrone View Post
This is just a way for the owner of the training class to make a few extra bucks with no effort on his part.....

Ding ding ding!

I can only speak for the state I live in (I'm an instructor) and they REQUIRE a shooting portion.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpetrone View Post
I believe all concealed carry gun training should require live fire with at least 50 or more rounds of pistol ammo......
I shot one magazine out of my pistol
and the instructor told me I was good to go
Old 02-28-2013, 03:11 PM

^^ Ditto. Instructor said holster, loading, and handling was more important than showing how to aim/pull trigger
Old 02-28-2013, 10:54 PM

Actually I don't know that it matters, there were several people in my cc class that were sketchy at best and had never handled any guns before. They all passed but I do like the idea of some hands on instruction.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:10 PM

I have both Oregon and Washington permits and neither require shooting.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:17 AM

Our state won't accept that as a "state ceritfied course"
Old 03-24-2013, 11:39 AM

Two states only, and one isn't even needed.

His certification is good for Virginia concealed carry. That's about it.

He claims to offer Arizona, but you don't need a permit to carry concealed in Arizona.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:02 PM

Does it say it's good in Nigeria too?

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Old 03-25-2013, 04:59 PM

CCW classes are NOT "training" folks. I hate to be the burster of bubbles, or the one who rains on parades.

CCW classes are, at BEST, a rudimentary introduction to firearm safety and a very very very basic primer on local lethal force law.

At worst...a CCW class is a room full of amateurs being taught by another amateur with a piece of paper that says he is an expert in something or other. It was part of my job to certify "instructors" when I was convalescing from an on-duty injury about 10 years ago.

Of course, I'd rather someone learn SOMETHING, but often and sadly that SOMETHING is pretty close to nothing. Some of the things I heard some of these future "instructors" assert as fact, was misinformation that would get a person sent to prison, or dead.

I honestly believe they should ****can the CCW Course and simply make the Basic NRA Certified Safety Course the mandatory the qualifier for a CCW. It is taught by more seasoned and experienced people (by and large), and it is a pretty uniform curriculum.

I shudder every time I think of the morbidly obese "instructor" stuffed into skin-tight 4XL 5.11 polo shirts, and size huge cargo pants who will have a massive heart attack if he tries to climb more than 1 step into the local McDonald's, espousing "tactics" when the only "tactic" he has ever mastered is an all out assault on a buffet at Golden Corral.

True training is a LONG commitment to learning, and practicing new skills. It is intensive and expensive in ammo cost alone. If you are in a "training" environment that requires less than 1,000 rounds of ammo, and you're not sweating buckets, and thinking and working on your feet from sun up til sundown...you're not in a training environment. You're at a seminar.

Just sayin'...but I have been TRAINING other cops and civilians for over 2 decades, and I specifically will NOT do CCW classes for anyone but military wives, and single women who can't otherwise afford a class, or for wounded and disabled veterans (which I do for FREE...they served our us, we need to serve them). If you come to one of my classes, you better damned well be prepared to sweat, fire on the move, clear malfunctions, learn to RUN YOUR GUN, and be ready to drop by the end of the class. If you aren't...I haven't done MY job, and I have stolen YOUR money. My partner is a retired cop and now an attorney (former prosecutor) who is expert in lethal force law, and he and I both do the lethal force portion of class.

I may be nitpicking...but "online training" is really nothing more than "ballistic masturbation".

Last edited by Arizona Lawman; 03-25-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:18 PM

Great post!

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Old 03-25-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Great post!
^^Agreed!
Old 04-02-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick A View Post
His certification is good for Virginia concealed carry. That's about it.

He claims to offer Arizona, but you don't need a permit to carry concealed in Arizona.
It claims "Virginia has reciprocity with dozens of states" which would let you legally carry in the states that accept it.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Lawman View Post
CCW classes are NOT "training" folks. I hate to be the burster of bubbles, or the one who rains on parades.

CCW classes are, at BEST, a rudimentary introduction to firearm safety and a very very very basic primer on local lethal force law.

At worst...a CCW class is a room full of amateurs being taught by another amateur with a piece of paper that says he is an expert in something or other. It was part of my job to certify "instructors" when I was convalescing from an on-duty injury about 10 years ago.

Of course, I'd rather someone learn SOMETHING, but often and sadly that SOMETHING is pretty close to nothing. Some of the things I heard some of these future "instructors" assert as fact, was misinformation that would get a person sent to prison, or dead.

I honestly believe they should ****can the CCW Course and simply make the Basic NRA Certified Safety Course the mandatory the qualifier for a CCW. It is taught by more seasoned and experienced people (by and large), and it is a pretty uniform curriculum. Arizona I salute and respect you.

I shudder every time I think of the morbidly obese "instructor" stuffed into skin-tight 4XL 5.11 polo shirts, and size huge cargo pants who will have a massive heart attack if he tries to climb more than 1 step into the local McDonald's, espousing "tactics" when the only "tactic" he has ever mastered is an all out assault on a buffet at Golden Corral.

True training is a LONG commitment to learning, and practicing new skills. It is intensive and expensive in ammo cost alone. If you are in a "training" environment that requires less than 1,000 rounds of ammo, and you're not sweating buckets, and thinking and working on your feet from sun up til sundown...you're not in a training environment. You're at a seminar.

Just sayin'...but I have been TRAINING other cops and civilians for over 2 decades, and I specifically will NOT do CCW classes for anyone but military wives, and single women who can't otherwise afford a class, or for wounded and disabled veterans (which I do for FREE...they served our us, we need to serve them). If you come to one of my classes, you better damned well be prepared to sweat, fire on the move, clear malfunctions, learn to RUN YOUR GUN, and be ready to drop by the end of the class. If you aren't...I haven't done MY job, and I have stolen YOUR money. My partner is a retired cop and now an attorney (former prosecutor) who is expert in lethal force law, and he and I both do the lethal force portion of class.

I may be nitpicking...but "online training" is really nothing more than "ballistic masturbation".

+1 I agree whole heartedly and also espouse the same to those I have trained and prepared for the last 16 years to go in harms way. Thank you for your "execeptions" those catagories (I am biased as I fit one) are very deserving. you know the saying those who cant do "teach". There was a D-Bag at this range I used to go to that taught "tatical" classes, and he was like you said. It was sad to hear people question him (he would say he was SF and claim a bunch of recent combat time, then he would say he was Blackwater certfied and active on their rosters, and that it was all Top Secret, though he was more that 300 lbs among other things i will not type)and ask the owner for refunds.