1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Old 01-24-2013, 12:21 PM

Reloading .45 Colt just started

Well I finally got around to reloading .45 colt on my Lee turrett. Reloaded .45acp all fall.

Here is the load I am going with, just wanted to make sure my measurements and everything are coming out good:

250 Grain Lead flat nose bullet
5.5 grains of titegroup
OAL of 1.575.---The Lee manual says Min OAL of 1.6 but if I do that the crimp isn't even in the canelure on the round.
Roll Crimp of .47 into the canelure.

Gonna go shoot some test rounds this weekend, but wanted to see if I was getting anything wrong on these reloads.

Thx.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:24 PM

Oh yeah, will be shooting them in my 3rd gen SAA and in my 1915 new service
Old 01-24-2013, 12:27 PM

Be super duper extra crazy careful with titegroup in 45Colt. Tiny volume of powder in a really big case.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoemen66 View Post
5.5 grains of titegroup
OAL of 1.575.---The Lee manual says Min OAL of 1.6 but if I do that the crimp isn't even in the canelure on the round.
I have never used Titegroup but generally like to use a powder in those large cases that more completely fills up the case. I use a lot of Unique and Trail Boss in 45 Colt.

The Lee minimum OAL is for 250 grain lead bullets but does not specify whether it is for round nose or flat nose. I would seat to the crimping groove. As with all loads, start on the mild side and then work up. I see you are doing this with the 5.5 grains specified as the starting load in the Lee book.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:06 PM

I was looking for Trailboss and Unique, but right now due to idgits and their panicing/hoarding you can't find it around here at the moment, so I was gonna role with titegroup.

Have read it works well, and I am loading on a turrett, so double charges are fairly easy to avoid.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoemen66 View Post
Well I finally got around to reloading .45 colt on my Lee turrett. Reloaded .45acp all fall.

Here is the load I am going with, just wanted to make sure my measurements and everything are coming out good:

5.5 grains of titegroup

Gonna go shoot some test rounds this weekend, but wanted to see if I was getting anything wrong on these reloads.

Thx.
Everything you have listed in your loading looks very sound.

FYI, the 1.600” COL listed in the LEE manual regardless of how they decided to “express” it is actually the SAAMI Maximum COL for the 45 Colt.
(Minimum SAAMI COL is 1.550”)

I suspect the lead bullet used has a crimping groove, but either way you were correct in using the cannelure or crimping groove as the setting for COL

Hopefully you will be impressed with the Titegroup; it is one of the most accurate powders I use in 45 Colt.
Don’t be worried about the low load density in the case with this powder, it is very insensitive to this condition and has excellent ignition characteristics.
Like many modern powders now applied to the 45 Colt, low load density is not the “evil danger” it was once perceived to be.
You also may find as you work the load up towards maximum your accuracy continues to improve, say in the 6.0grs to 6.1grs. area.

The Titegroup will also leave less “trash” in your barrel than many of the other “conventional” powders with higher load density used in the 45 Colt.
This is a marked benefit if you are using conventional lubed lead bullets as there will be less residue to mix with the burned lube goo in your barrel.

Be a bit leery of “measured” crimp in roll crimp cartridges, especially when you are rolling into a crimping groove bullet as the “measured” crimp may or may not indicate the needed and or appropriate crimp here (unlike auto loading cartridges).
Here the amount of crimping groove on the bullet also plays an important part in how you “manage” the amount of crimp applied.
Many times applying a “measured standard” is not in your interest.

Here the visual amount of “physical” crimp is as important.
On a relatively light charge weight and bullet weight as you have, a moderate roll crimp is likely more than adequate.
On heavier charge weights and using heavier bullets more crimp may be needed.

Below is a photo of a seating and crimping sequence with the 45 Colt
Bullet is a Bear Creek Polymer coated 255gr, RNFP
Final COL is 1.575”
Crimp “measured” is 0.471”
But as you can see, this could be “rolled in” further if desired, on say a 300gr. bullet I would roll this in an additional several thousandths.
Good Luck

To be proficient with Firearms the endeavor must be applied similarly as in Golf or Boxing, you have to put the Rounds in! - Gerk

Gerk
Old 01-24-2013, 04:14 PM

That's about the same crimp I use on my moderately loaded 44 specials
Old 01-25-2013, 12:04 AM

Thanks guys. here is how they came out for me tonight. Can't wait to shoot em this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
2013-01-24_22-37-50_315.jpg  
Old 01-25-2013, 10:19 AM

I'd guestimate 800 fps, have fun!
Old 01-25-2013, 04:36 PM

I do not load with Titegroup powder, but understand that it is not "powder position sensitive". that would be very good in this voluminous case. I do load a lot of 45 Colt, as it is one of my favorites. i used to use a lot of Unique, and it works well in the upper portion of the load range. In the lower to mid range, I did experience powder position problems with subsequent velocity variability from round to round in the cylinder.

Because of that, for my milder to mid range loads I have been very pleased with Trail Boss. My velocities are much more consistent, and it is fairly clean burning. I have pretty much changed over to TB powder for all of my old black powder case loadings.