1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 12-30-2012, 12:58 PM

Quick SAM Omega 6 first impression (.40s&w 1911)

From Canada...if there are any specific parts anyone wants pics of let me know.
Been trying to convince myself to take a chance on one of these for a while now, so for xmas I took the plunge. I don't own a .40, this is my first, which was one of the reasons I went for it, as well as the other positive reviews of the 9mm and .45 SAM pistols. I like steel and wood, detest plastic pistols, so for $575 from Wolverine figured why not...(for comparison, Ruger 1911 is $700 here, Spartans are $800)
It came in a brown cardboard box, one fold out page of instructions, a safety/inspection certificate, pistol and 1 mag, both sealed in plastic bags covered in oil. Mag is a 8 round Mecgar which was nice and it inserts smooth and drops free. First thing I did was tear it right down for a clean and inspection. I was trying really hard to be critical, trying to find flaws, tool marks, other things I wouldn't like about it, but there were very few
On the barrel, slide, and frame, I can count the number of tool marks on 1 hand. Frame is cast, but it is very hard to tell, barrel is very smooth and well machined with a blued finish and polished hood, slide is machined very well and had very few tool marks on some inside/hard to see areas. Everything seems to have been tumble polished, blasted, then blued...no sharp edges anywhere except where they are suppose to be....the thumb safety, mag release, slide release are all grippy serrations. Very little in the way of slide/frame markings, left side is bare, right side has s/n, small logo, small model name, where it's made, and that's it. No big grotesque warnings and other bull:bigHug::bigHug::bigHug::bigHug: which is a nice change
Since 2008 SAM has been CNC machining 1911's, prior to that they made them the old fashioned way. One of the first things I noticed out of the box was how tight and well fit everything was,slide to frame, barrel to bushing, bushing to slide...all tight, thumb safety has positive clics, and the excellent trigger...3.5lbs out of the box. Even the grip screws are perfectly flush with the grips...which turned out to be wood even though I was expecting plastic based on the web pics. The finish was very even all around, from the smallest pin, to all the guts, and the slide & frame, all a nice matte blue. And as a bonus it came with a full length guide rod which I wasn't expecting as they don't show that on the website, just the standard GI type shown there. Feed ramp was polished well as a bonus.
Almost all the small parts are cast/MIM, and the main pieces are really well done...grip safety, thumb safety, hammer, slide release, sear, disconnect, sights....cast and cleaned up really well. And the extractor is REALLY beefy....don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing yet.

Few of the cons...and I had to dig hard to come up with these. The MSH had a rough finish on the sides you can't see, and it was considerably thinner then most flat MSH I've ever handled. I had an EGW spare and installed it instead as the thin SAM one made the grip a touch small for me.
Sear spring needed some adjustment, not enough tension on the grip safety, about a 2 second fix so no big deal.
I don't think the recoil spring is correct for .40 s&w...should be 19lbs, this one feels like a 9mm spring which is much lighter at 14lbs. Firing pin spring also was shorter then standard. I don't think these would have caused any short term issues, but over the long haul could lead to some problems. Had spares on hand anyway, so no big deal.
FLGR had a few marks on it...was polished fairly well, but needed a final go. Hammer strut was pretty roughly finished, again, not a big deal and easily cleaned up but doesn't make any difference to function either way.
First impressions are quite good, how it stands up to a steady diet of shooting will be the real test if this is a good buy or not.
few crappy pics, I'll have to take some good ones out at the range.

Last edited by hitzy; 12-30-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:08 PM

I have an S.A.M. Elite and I wish CAI would import more of their models. How is your trigger? Mine was a bit wonky at first but it's evened out and smoothed up with time. I do rather like the sculpting/shape of the beavertail or is it just me? Also the use of a rounded hammer instead of a skeletonized one is a welcome change as I do not care for the look of the "speed" hammer of today.

Thank you for the pictures and the review...sometimes you just wish more guns were imported so you had more options, then you realize you're up to your damn eyeballs in choices anyway.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 12-31-2012, 09:51 AM

Trigger was 3.5lbs out of the box, but is setting in closer to 5lbs now after the packing gunk removal and some dry firing. We have access to pretty much the majority of their single stack line up presently. I'm hoping with more people getting on these they will take off here in North America. Here anyway, the only comparable .40 we can get is the STI Trojan that starts at $1150. I know it's quite a step up in price and quality, but that's kind of the point. An affordable series of 1911's is always going to be sought after. There are already a dozen or more different Armscorp variations in the US which get fairly positive reviews. With the fit and finish on these I think they would be well received alternative. I have a Spartan IV and it ran me $800 here. For the slide/frame/barrel fit & finish, the SAM is considerably better. Small parts on the Spartan are STI and they certainly are higher quality then the SAM guts no question. I should be out with it at the range tomorrow and we will see if it shoots...
Old 12-31-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitzy View Post
Trigger was 3.5lbs out of the box, but is setting in closer to 5lbs now after the packing gunk removal and some dry firing. We have access to pretty much the majority of their single stack line up presently. I'm hoping with more people getting on these they will take off here in North America. Here anyway, the only comparable .40 we can get is the STI Trojan that starts at $1150. I know it's quite a step up in price and quality, but that's kind of the point. An affordable series of 1911's is always going to be sought after. There are already a dozen or more different Armscorp variations in the US which get fairly positive reviews. With the fit and finish on these I think they would be well received alternative. I have a Spartan IV and it ran me $800 here. For the slide/frame/barrel fit & finish, the SAM is considerably better. Small parts on the Spartan are STI and they certainly are higher quality then the SAM guts no question. I should be out with it at the range tomorrow and we will see if it shoots...
I noticed the build quality on the S.A.M. was nicer than the PT1911 they had at the same gun counter...tighter slide to frame fit, better aesthetic build quality; not what I'm looking for in a gun I scored for $429 but a nice touch just ths same. A friend that has a Kimber Custom II remarked that it felt as tight when he racked it and kind of got a sour face when I told him...though I will confess that the components in his Kimber are likely of a better quality, not that I told him.

It shoots and feels on par with my RIA Tactical but it actually has fewer sharp edges...on the left side, on the frame next to the beavertail radius I got rubbed raw until I built callus up from shooting it, where I can find none on the Elite...though I really feel I have to replace the rather wide edged safety. Seems like you ended up with the same style safety and I don't know how you feel about such things but it's not for me.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 12-31-2012, 10:36 AM

I'm not a big fan of the extended controls on 1911's and prefer standard length safety and slide release. I'm going to shoot it like this for a while though, maybe a year, just to get an idea if the OEM parts are up to the task. Fit and finish are one thing, but it will need to function well for a long time before I can recommended it to anyone else. So far it looks promising, and SAM seem to be able to build 1911's well.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:19 PM

You've got my attention now!

Where can one purchase this 'other' 1911 ?
Who imports them ?
How much does it cost ?
Old 01-24-2013, 04:25 PM

I guess ATI would be the ones to talk to down there, they sell SAM made pistols.....
Old 01-24-2013, 05:18 PM

Kodadek, Elite

Kodadek, so glad you posted about the Elite SAM. First I need to apologize for the thread hijack to the OP. I have a CAI Elite and I am SHOCKED at just how good a 1911 it is. I have a full Custom 10X, and a Les Baer Monolith Heavy currently. And have had MANY high end 1911's . I have some questions about the Elite you may be able to answer. Mine is so good I'm trying to determine if it is "stock" or some Gunsmith Wizard did a lot of custom work on this thing. It's that good.

1. Mine has a slide to frame fit that is amazing and is slicker than owl s***.
Is yours that way? It's as smooth and slick as anything I've racked.
2. This one is utterly reliable with ANYTHING. Is yours?
3. This one is about as accurate as my $3000 1911's. Maybe as accurate.
4. This one is blue/parkerized but has a dull stainless safety, take down pin, bushing, speed funnel and checkered mainspring housing with 15 or so lines per inch. Is yours a "two toned" pistol?
5. No front serrations.
6. Dovetailed sights that are pretty good.
7. Over sized Mag release (also stainless).
If this pistol is stock it's the buy of the century. I got this one in a trade and have no idea why anyone that liked 1911's would sell it off. And if they are all this good I'll surely buy another S.A.M Philippine product. Thanks in advance for replying.

Last edited by mes228; 01-24-2013 at 05:22 PM.