1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 01-19-2013, 05:40 PM

Citadel 5" 9mm 1911

I went to the Mesquite Tx. Gun Show today. It was insane, we were looking for some 9mm range ammo and it was like being in the crush in front of the stage for a popular rock group when I was young.

No where near as much fun. Prices are through the roof on almost anything with high cap magazines, lots of first time buyers, who hopefully have someone to teach them gun safety.

I've been looking for a 9mm 1911 for a while now. Partially ammo costs plus the weight of ammo and arthritis. This time I came across a couple of orphans in search of a loving home a RIA GI and a Citadel with decent sights, bobbed hammer and full beaver tail.

While I thought the price on the Citadel was about 50 dollars too much, it did have nice checkered wood grips and two mags. So the hysteria tariff wasn't too bad.

Picked up a couple of 30 dollar Megars for it. I've heard they are reliable 9mm mags.

Cleaned the packing grease off it and realized that while it isn't the Kimber 9mm I would of liked it is pretty decent at about 200 dollars less than the bare bones Custom II.

Tomorrow I'll do some gun cleaning and take it to the Bullet Trap over in Plano. I figure about a 100 or so rounds down range won't break the bank and will give me enough feel to let me know if it's as much fun as I'm hoping it will be.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:50 PM

Congratulations. I just checked one of those out yesterday at a local gun store. Very nice. Looking forward to your range report.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:17 PM

Report Back on the first 100rds Down Range

Finally made it over to the Bullet Trap this afternoon with my GSG .22, my Sig C3 .45, and new Citadel 9mm 1911s.

Learned on the second round that 9mm mags need whacking on the back to make sure everything is seated at the right angle and snug against the back of the mag.

The first 50 rounds were CCI Blazer FMJ aluminum case, the next fifty were some cheapo Hungarian brass case MFS FMJ. Smoky but seemed smoother but that could be the shooting in because my Sig C3 definitely shot better after the first fifty to one hundred rounds went through it.

It's a really soft shooting gun. Weight, barrel length and grip make it easy on even my 65 year old hands.

The price was cheap enough even with the gun panic premium that I can afford to put some night sights on it. Younger eyes would probably be happy with the stock sights as they are reasonably good. Everything appears to be stock Novak slotted.

When I cleaned it and greased it prior to shooting it every thing seemed pretty standard. It ain't a Kimber, Sig, Wilson or Nighthawk but for 500 and change plus tax it's pretty darn good.

Actually it is about what I've come to expect out of the Armscor/RIA/Citadel etc manufacturing group. Functional and then some. Details like the ambi safety are nice for left handed people. Many more expensive guns require an after market.

Makes me feel a whole lot better about the RIA 3.5 inch 9mm 1911 I still want.

In the meantime I mostly shoot at about 5 yds/mtrs and aside from a couple of rounds out of the hundred most were in my usual 4-5 inch circle. With a white dot front end sight I think they would have been tighter.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:58 PM

Thanks for the range report. Sounds like a good pistol.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:34 PM

Forgot to mention

It has a nicely aggressive checkering on the backstrap, spring housing and smooth grip front. Not as needle sharp as on the C3 but very secure feeling. I like the checkered wood grips better than RIA's smooth wood.

I suspect details like this are what make it 25-50 bucks over the RIA.

It has a very sturdy full length guide rod. Some one mentioned it is interchangable with the Kimber guide rods if there is ever a problem. I mention that because the original guide rod in my GSG was made of pot metal and broke.

It likes the Megar magazines which is good as they are around 23 bucks from Big State at the North Texas gun shows.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:45 PM

Yeah, I like the checkered grips better. If i bought an RIA, I would most likely replace the smooth grips.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:51 PM

BTW I put another 100+ rounds down range with it yesterday at Target Masters on Jupiter (Garland, Tx).

Even ran some magazines of mixed left overs through it without a single failure to feed.

I'd still like to put night sights on it sometime in the next couple of months.

I recomment the Megar magazines for it.

We had originally been members at Target Masters but the place got really run down and so we went to the Bullet Trap and now it has become hard to get into due to its popularity and so we were pleasantly surprised to see Target Masters has remodeled and is cleaner with better lighting and cleaner air.