1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Sig Sauer

Old 01-09-2013, 10:23 AM

Slip 2000 EWL on everything except the AK....that gets a minimum diet of Tetra gun grease.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:38 AM

Whatever they give away in the match bags...it all works.
NRA Life Member
Old 01-09-2013, 05:17 PM

Frog Lube on all my firearms and knives.......been over a year and I really like the stuff!
Old 01-09-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d90king View Post
M-Pro7 on all of my firearms. Great stuff. For penetrating oil Kroil is king.
M-Pro7 is good stuff, a little pricy but worth it.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:23 AM

I have been using ballistal on all my weapons but mobil `1 sounds awesome.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:50 AM

The fact is that most modern lubes will work extremely well so long as they are applied properly, and as often as necessary, to the right areas, which is why everyone swears by their favorite.

Honestly, for the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would go through all that absurd nonsense to apply Frog Lube when there at so many other superb alternatives to that stuff.

I wonder what the next fad lubricant will be?
Old 01-10-2013, 08:14 AM

Militec-1
Old 01-10-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsalt65 View Post
The fact is that most modern lubes will work extremely well so long as they are applied properly, and as often as necessary, to the right areas, which is why everyone swears by their favorite.

Honestly, for the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would go through all that absurd nonsense to apply Frog Lube when there at so many other superb alternatives to that stuff.

To each his own but I have wondered the same thing. But I also don't understand the chemistry sets that some people use. 1 part Mobil 1, 1 part Mystery Oil, crushed unicorn horn (1 pinch), eye of new (1), etc.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsalt65 View Post

True most any lube will work fine. But don't knock Frog lube with out first using it yourself. You said yourself any lube will work well if applied properly.
Then why is it ABSURD to you how Frog lube is applied. I for one use it on all my guns from shotguns, AR's, and the 1911's and it works great. And it's not absurd to me how it's applied or too any of my many friends that use it. It'll get your gun cleaner then it's ever been in years. But to each his own.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REINIER View Post
True most any lube will work fine. But don't knock Frog lube with out first using it yourself. You said yourself any lube will work well if applied properly.
Then why is it ABSURD to you how Frog lube is applied. I for one use it on all my guns from shotguns, AR's, and the 1911's and it works great. And it's not absurd to me how it's applied or too any of my many friends that use it. It'll get your gun cleaner then it's ever been in years. But to each his own.

The absurdity is thinking that "that" lube (whichever lube that happens to be) is so much better than any other lube (it isn't) that it's worth all the metal prep to do.

Let's talk volume here.

I've fired 60,000 pistol rounds in the last 3 years, out of one STI Trojan and one STI Edge.
I've lubed them with CLP some but mostly use Brownells gun lube because they give it away in little tubes at matches.

I've not had one issue in 60,000 rounds that could be remotely related to a lube problem. And my guns usually only get field stripped and cleaned every 2000-2500 rounds.
I've got about 15K out of an AR in that time period that again, only saw these two lubes, again with no issues at all.

So, why would I want to strip all my guns down and apply Frog Lube?
What could it possibly do that my "free" lube doesn't?
NRA Life Member
Old 01-10-2013, 11:16 AM

Most likely all synthetic oils and grease of like viscosity are similar in performance. I read that petroleum based products have a tendency to breakdown with age and evaporation and leave a coating which is harder to clean and remove.

Last edited by Brandana; 01-10-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Tsk, tsk, tsk... You obviously haven't read the label.

Frog Lube is guaranteed to, "Remove carbon, gun powder residue, lead fouling and burdensome excess cash."
Old 01-10-2013, 12:00 PM

I typically use a couple drops of teflon penetrant oil on the slide and Gibbs on everything else.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
The absurdity is thinking that "that" lube (whichever lube that happens to be) is so much better than any other lube (it isn't) that it's worth all the metal prep to do.

Let's talk volume here.

I've fired 60,000 pistol rounds in the last 3 years, out of one STI Trojan and one STI Edge.
I've lubed them with CLP some but mostly use Brownells gun lube because they give it away in little tubes at matches.

I've not had one issue in 60,000 rounds that could be remotely related to a lube problem. And my guns usually only get field stripped and cleaned every 2000-2500 rounds.
I've got about 15K out of an AR in that time period that again, only saw these two lubes, again with no issues at all.

So, why would I want to strip all my guns down and apply Frog Lube?
Funny I don't remember asking anything from you? I believe I was asking Oldsalt65 why he thinks it's absurd to use Frog lube and what's the big deal in the way it's applied. I SAID, most lubes work fine and I don't have a problem with what ever anyone wants to use. BUT, why are people so fast to put down Frog lube if they have not first used and tested it for them selfs first?
Old 01-10-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REINIER View Post
Funny I don't remember asking anything from you? I believe I was asking Oldsalt65 why he thinks it's absurd to use Frog lube and what's the big deal in the way it's applied. I SAID, most lubes work fine and I don't have a problem with what ever anyone wants to use. BUT, why are people so fast to put down Frog lube if they have not first used and tested it for them selfs first?
My annual round counts closely mirror those of BillD so I'm going to accept his words as stating my own thoughts on this matter:

Originally Posted by BillD
Let's talk volume here.

So, why would I want to strip all my guns down and apply Frog Lube?What could it possibly do that my "free" lube doesn't?

BTW; unlike Bill, I am a clean freak when it comes to my guns and I clean them so fastidiously after every outing, that despite the number rounds through them, they look virtually NIB inside and out, except for the normal, unavoidable, mechanical wear points.

I'm not about to heat up my guns with a heat gun simply to mess around with a lube that offers me "jack" over what I currently use, whether it is the fad lube of the day or not.

IMO that would be absurd.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:04 PM

You guys seem pretty worked up over a lube thread.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:23 PM

CLP for me. Use it in my business as well on all my punches and dies.

Ronald Reagan
Old 01-10-2013, 06:31 PM

i use a mixture of MobilONE and Duralube.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-10-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogdaddy View Post
You guys seem pretty worked up over a lube thread.
No not worked up on my part. And I hope Oldsalt65 and BillD don't take it as giving them a hard time for I didn't want to come across as such.
My point was, I read over and over on this forum people putting down Froglube or other lubes for that matter with out having used it or tested it.
Put it down if you must, but only after you have tested it. And that goes for anything lube or not.
I have used Good old CLP and many others for years and all have worked great.
But then I started using Froglube and guns I thought were clean I could not believe the carbon that worked its way out of the guns.
Now after using the frog for sometime I just wipe down the guns with a rag and all the carbon just comes off. And my guns are so slick in their action but look almost dry of lube. When I shoot again the gun heats up and the frog lube comes out to keep it lubed. It's just wild how it works, and it's safe for you to use. All others I'd put on gloves. But Froglube is USDA approved plant base product that just works and works very well. Just my two cents.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:26 AM

i use royal purple gun oil, i got a free sample at sema. works great
Old 01-11-2013, 03:56 AM

I'm guessing that guys that shoot 60,000 rounds a year know what works and what doesn't.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glider View Post
I'm guessing that guys that shoot 60,000 rounds a year know what works and what doesn't.
I would have to say yes to that.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:16 AM

I like Safari Charlie's and Ballistol. I usually add a drop of gun oil on the rails for extra lube, but everything else gets one of the two.

The gun oil is probably Hoppe's, I've had it so long the label has worn off.

Also, my guns get cleaned after each time shooting and then wiped down with a silicone cloth before putting them in the case.

"I Miss America"
Old 01-14-2013, 05:35 AM

Once, I had to use KY jelly to lube my 1911. I was at a match and had nothing else with me. I wouldn't recommend it. My gun moaned on every shot...
Old 01-14-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEye637 View Post
Once, I had to use KY jelly to lube my 1911. I was at a match and had nothing else with me. I wouldn't recommend it. My gun moaned on every shot...
So you had Ky in your bag? Like no one else was wondering.......