1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Para USA

Old 12-16-2012, 07:48 PM

Para-Ord P14-45 Tour Pistol Troubleshooting

Hello everyone,

I'm new to both this forum and the 1911 platform. That being said I have extensive experience with Browning HP MK III platform, as well as Glocks and SIGS.

Long story short, I have a para-ord P14 45 Tour pistol what was made available to members of the Canadian Forces after tours in Afghanistan. I eventually took it to the range a couple of months ago to try it out. ( In Canada you can only take handguns to designated shooting ranges that are approved and listed on your transportation documents and restricted firearms license.) Thus it took a long time before I had an opportunity to test it out.

The first 30 rounds went very well but then I started having issues with rounds failing to feed. The firearm wouldn't go all the way into battery or would fail to load the next round. There were also a few occaisons where there were failures to extract and a partial double feed.

I rotated my way through the 4 magazines, all with similar results. So after about 100 rounds total, I gave up and went home to do some research.

I was using American Eagle 230 grain FMJ .45 ammo but I may not have lubricated the firearm properly based on my research. So I did a full field strip and cleaning with lubrication according to the manual.

I returned to the range the following week and went through the same issues. I have done this off an on for a couple of months to get through the "break in" round count. I pretty much always had similar results. I think I had one trip where I was able to shoot about 50 rounds without any major issues.

My last 2 trips I tried different ammo. Same issues. I have been storing my magazines fully loaded to break in the springs but that has not seemed to help. I also have had issues with magazines not wanting to seat all the way.

I'm looking for some advice or info for my next steps I should take. It is a beautiful gun but is at best a paper weight in it's current single shot configuration. Thanks in advance.

I have posted some pictures of the malfunctions. These were just me cycling some new snap caps and some factory ammo through the weapon after my last range trip. Hope they help.

Barrel seems to be having issues locking up as well.

Regards,

Dave
Old 12-16-2012, 08:11 PM

Sir,

I'm sending you a PM. We will get this taken care of ASAP.

Thank you for your patience,
Travis
Para
Old 12-17-2012, 09:39 PM

I had the same issue. Travis will get it taken care of. He's on top of the game and you won't get that CS from any other manufacture!!! Go PARA
Old 12-18-2012, 09:29 PM

Agreed! Thank you for the quick response Travis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedward View Post
I had the same issue. Travis will get it taken care of. He's on top of the game and you won't get that CS from any other manufacture!!! Go PARA
Old 01-11-2013, 12:44 AM

Hey SBS Iceman...

Any update?
Old 02-19-2013, 02:02 PM

Travis contacted me about sending a new extractor but there were some issues with shipping it to Canada. However they found a way around it apparently but I have yet to receive it.

Travis if you see this, your PM inbox is full and I haven't been able to respond to your message regarding if I had received the new part.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:48 PM

Sorry to hear your having issues as well. I had mine sent in to PARA once already and it came back with still some issues. I'm still working on getting mine resolved as well but it just seems to be a weapon I would rather not risk my life with. Beautiful guns they are though.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:01 AM

Good news to report. Finally received the new extractor in the mail. Looks like it was held up by customs. I have installed it and it seems to be cycling snap caps and dummy rounds through without any jamming. I will get it out to the range this weekend and report after I have fired 100 rounds or so.

Thanks to Travis for getting the part up to me here in Canada.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:14 PM

Awesome! I'm so glad it made it.

Please let me know if you need any help.

Respectfully,
Travis
Para USA
Old 03-14-2013, 09:43 PM

wow glad to hear they did something for you! usually Para wont deal with people over the boarder, I say this from dealing with it myself. Maybe they are starting to realize where there company comes from.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:59 AM

A decent amount of gun butter will make most 1911s run perfect.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:22 PM

Range report update!

Well have managed 2 trips to the range since swapping in the new extractor and have had zero issues. No malfunctions at all. The gun is running smooth and accurate. I have about 150 rounds down range at this time. I will update at the 500 mark.

Thanks again to Para and Travis.