1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 12-13-2012, 01:18 PM

Sig 1911-22 vs Nelson .22 conversion

Received my Marvel-designed / McMillan-machined (both well-known and respected names) .22 conversion slide from Nelson Custom Guns http://nelsoncustomguns.com/ and installed it on my Kimber Classic Gold Match frame. Took it and my Sig 1911-22 to the range to compare accuracy. No comparison! The Nelson conversion is so much more accurate than the Sig plus the fit and finish is better but it's the accuracy that really impresses me. No FTF either. I am flat out elated with this conversion. In my judgment, it's well worth the money. Thanks Larry!

Disclaimer: I've never met Larry and am not associated with his company in any way. Just one satisfied customer.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:15 PM

You compared a $1,200.00+ conversion kit & frame to a $400.00 +/- dollar gun and expected something different?

"I Miss America"
Old 12-13-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiksdraw View Post
You compared a $1,200.00+ conversion kit & frame to a $400.00 +/- dollar gun and expected something different?
I don't look at it from that "total cost" comparison. I already had the Kimber which I seldom shoot. I wanted a 1911 style .22 and the question was how would I get there.

I went back and forth for several months trying to decide between a dedicated 1911 style .22 and a conversion slide for the Kimber, finally buying the Sig. After using it, I was disappointed with the accuracy.

When I read that Nelson was offering a newer version of Marvel's design and that the machining was done by McMillan, I decided to buy one for the Kimber.

In my (albeit unprofessional) opinion, the slide and barrel contribute more to accuracy than the frame and it's the increased accuracy that impresses me. The significantly increased accuracy cost an additional $71 - the difference between the Nelson conversion over the Sig - and it was and is well worth it. The Sig won't be found in my "tool" box much longer.

BTW, changing the slide is quick, easy and not an inconvenience. In my case, I'll just keep the Nelson on the Kimber indefinitely.

Last edited by Tumbleweed45; 12-13-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiksdraw View Post
Uh....yep. What this guy said.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:15 AM

I hear you Tumbleweed. I have several 1911's in 45ACP and since my wife discovered shooting my 22lr GSG 1911, its always busy. Had been considering a Ruger Mark 111
22/45 but difficult to find in Crapifornia and most dealers want 75-100 bucks for the FFL transfer. This seems like a viable option and can avoid the FFL BS completely. Lots of positive reviews on this conversion on the web.