1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 12-12-2012, 08:35 PM

Slide automatically drops on reload sometimes?!

Remington 1911 purchased recently, still in process of breaking in. I'd say about couple hundred rounds put through it and recently I discovered that the slide would slam home on reload. The surprising thing is the slide stop on a Remington 1911 is incredibly stiff that it usually requires me both hands to release the stop. This happened a couple times when I shot a total of 200 rounds. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks!! Just a bit worried because I thought 1911's were not designed to do this.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:20 PM

Not designed to do it but it happens. I would suspect the "stiffness" of the slide stop is the culprit. The magazine follower has to lift the slide stop up into position to catch the slide after the last round. If the slide stop is resisting too much it won't nest fully into the slide notch. It is locked open but barely perhaps.
I would use the empty mag to lock the slide to the rear and see if the slide stop is as far up as it can go or barely engaging the cut in the slide.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:06 PM

Some people look at it as an unexpected benefit. After all, that's exactly what you would want to happen when you slap in a mag, right?
Old 12-12-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pea_shooter View Post
Remington 1911 purchased recently, still in process of breaking in. I'd say about couple hundred rounds put through it and recently I discovered that the slide would slam home on reload. The surprising thing is the slide stop on a Remington 1911 is incredibly stiff that it usually requires me both hands to release the stop. This happened a couple times when I shot a total of 200 rounds. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks!! Just a bit worried because I thought 1911's were not designed to do this.
My personal belief is that this is how it should happen. The drawings would seem to support that.

I demand it of my guns.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:59 PM

Thanks for the replies, I was just worried if it would do any harm. I did like the way it slammed home without me having to sling the slide back, saved my thumb and I felt pretty tactical
Old 12-13-2012, 07:14 AM

Check your magazines to see if they are getting the slide stop all the way locked into the stop notch in the slide? Sometimes this happen and the slide stop doesn't have enough locked into the notch. Then when you slam home another magazine the slide stop jumps from the notch.
This could be a bad slide stop or one the just needs a little fitting to the notch to get it to work with your magazines.
Check to see if when pulling the slide back with an empty magazine in place if the slide stop locks all the way into the notch 100% of the time? This maybe the problem?
Old 12-13-2012, 11:13 AM

I prefer the slides to release when I slam a fresh mag into place, I tune the slide stops on my 1911s to do this. It really fouls things up for me when it doesn't happen for me in competition slide lock reloads. Hand racking the slide to lock open may or may not reveal the issue, as hand racking does not duplicate the same slide velocity as mechanical slide lock load.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:33 PM

All well and good to have it slam shut on its own so long as it does it every time.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:28 AM

Slide slamming closed on a firm reload

I would like to have a slide close when slamming the mag home, but I have found it is not consistent, so I set up my slide stop pins to work in the normal fashion of having good engagement in the slide notch recess to release the slide stop. When I shoot to slide lock in IDPA completion, if the slide doesn't lock back, I attempt to shoot another round thinking I have a round remaining in the mag. When I acquire the target, press the trigger and the gun goes "click"....I have wasted valuable time, first for the slight hesitation of pulling the trigger on an empty gun, then I have to pull the slide back to recharge the gun.....it slows down my entire reload technique.

I have trained to release the slide stop with my weak hand thumb as I regrip the pistol and extend it toward the target after I reload. I use the two hand, two thumbs forward grip on the gun, so using the weak hand thumb is very fast and natural for me. Overall, it is more consistent and I never have any surprises on a slide lock reload, which is often required in some IDPA stage designs.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:48 AM

Try this.....

When your gun slide locks, concentrate on inserting the magazine exactly parallel to the plane of the mag well. (Straight in). Try that several times.

Now, try it by directing the magazine on more of an angle towards the muzzle. I know it will follow the plane of the mag well, but push it more towards the front of the pistol as opposed to straight in. The first should keep the slide in place, the second should send it home.

Either way, you should train to sweep your weak hand thumb across the slide stop, just in case.

And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”
Old 12-14-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guysmith View Post
I prefer the slides to release when I slam a fresh mag into place, I tune the slide stops on my 1911s to do this. It really fouls things up for me when it doesn't happen for me in competition slide lock reloads. Hand racking the slide to lock open may or may not reveal the issue, as hand racking does not duplicate the same slide velocity as mechanical slide lock load.
How exactly can you tune them to do this?
Old 12-14-2012, 09:11 AM

Pea Shooter
I think its a magazine problem. Have you tried to ID which mag it happens with or is it with all of them? You said sometimes, so I feel it a specific mag is the problem.
As I have said many times, the magazines need to be fitted to a particular gun for reliability.
Ol Shy & Bashful
Old 12-14-2012, 09:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWarner View Post
My personal belief is that this is how it should happen. The drawings would seem to support that.

I demand it of my guns.
Hey Chuck, can you explain the mechanism behind it so I can try to make mine do it?
Old 12-14-2012, 10:16 AM

I'll try and pull the drawings this evening.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:55 AM

I angle the vertical rear surface of the slide stop a few degrees forward at the top. It doesn't take much. A word of caution...angle to much or take to much off and the slide won't lock back at all. So go slow and a little at a time.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:13 PM

Hello everyone, just got home from the range again. This time I put 300 rounds through it and it's been happening more consistently.. perhaps once every 2 mags at least. I'm not sure if it's the magazine problem but I am using the Chip McCormack shooting stars magazines. I slam my magazine home hard with the gun sort of at 45 degrees tilted upwards and slightly facing me. I'm actually starting to quite like the feel of the slide slamming home every time it happens. I am using cheap Norinco 45 ACP rounds so I'm not sure if ammunition could be the problem, but so far every shot has gone bang so no complaints with Norinco. Someone mentioned that the slide velocity will be different if the slide is not racked, does that mean letting the slide automatically slam home will increase risks of jams? Thanks again everyone !
Old 12-15-2012, 03:56 PM

No that is NOT what I was saying. To clarify, I meant that hand racking the slide may not induce the condition you want due to the slide velocity being different(slower) than when the pistol is shot and the slide operates from recoil(faster). It will make a difference in how the slide stop engages the notch in the slide.
In answer to your final question the answer is NO, it will not increase or decrease the risk of a feeding jam.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:28 PM

Thanks guysmith, I understand your suggestion but I'm a fairly new license holder with no experience in gunsmithing. I will try to take note of the position of the slide stop and how far into the notch it is after every magazine to see if it's causing the slide drops. Can't wait til the next trip to the range.