1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 12-12-2012, 06:40 PM
Banned

Chuck Warner, Gunsmith

I want to offer you my take on this talented gentleman. And he might want to kick my ass for it. And I would let him.

Chuck contacted me when I started taking macro images of all the parts of my Auto Ordinance 1911 of West Hurley vintage. I'm assuming it was when he realized I was serious about learning my stuff and making this gun a safe and reliable shooter.

Chuck asked me if I trusted him, and I said of course. I was getting education and intellectual resources beyond anything I could have dreamt of from Chuck, Log, Earlsbud, BBBBill, chuntaro, and if I forgot you, you get a free pass to kick me in the nuts.

What I want you all to know is that Chuck told me under no uncertain terms that he would not sleep at night until he had fixed the slant cut on my breech face and repaired my front sight.

Chuck did/provided a lot more for my gun than I think he would let me get away with posting on this board (he's PROBABLY gonna whoop my ass good ol' boy style for this post alone).

Bottom line: 1) I can prove I made no money off this endorsement: It's my own personal opinion, so anyone who wants to play that game, I invite you here and now to suck it. 2) Thank you Chuck for being an example human being that a lot of us look up to.

Last edited by dsk; 12-12-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:46 PM

Glad all turned out well

Last edited by La Grenouille; 12-12-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:51 PM

+1
You're not the only one Chuck has been kind and generous to, and that's a fact.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:00 PM

Chuckster never turns me away when I call. Very interesting guy to talk to!

Now...about that mustache....
Old 12-12-2012, 07:59 PM

Chris i cant believe that you actually got that mess of a gun running. From what I remember there were a few people begging you to scrap it. If its done............ how about some pics?

NRA Life Member, Washington Arms Collectors Member, TR&RC Member, GOA Member
Old 12-12-2012, 08:08 PM

Another atta boy for Chuck. He has been great to me...... always.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:32 PM

Chris, it was great of you to have everyone along for the journey and a hearty Job Well Done! to both you and Mr. Warner. Looking forward to more macros.

Last edited by skylerbone; 12-12-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:38 PM

Hey and try his parts too.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by navman View Post
Chuckster never turns me away when I call. Very interesting guy to talk to!

Now...about that mustache....
I always know to ignore his call until I have a fresh cup of coffee all ready to go.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:20 AM

I don't know of any people having problems with Chuck. But I suspect he might not be too happy with you now that you have exposed this S&M relationship that I'm perceiving ya'll may have. This is based on all the touching your bottom references and late night stuff that you are mentioning in your post.

You know, now that you mention it, that Log guy talks real nicely about him too.

But you guys do have my curiosity up and I'm going to have to call Mr. Warner some day and see if he can talk as long as the the legendary Crazy John of Les Baer fame.

Last edited by Lordofbarbeque; 12-13-2012 at 01:10 PM. Reason: bad english
Old 12-13-2012, 08:26 AM

Glad to hear it. Chuck sounds like a great guy.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:45 AM
Banned

Skyler: there will be plenty more macros forthcoming. I just got home from the largest annual scientific conference in the world, and naturally brought the flu home with me. I'm still running about 99.5 F, peaked at 103 F. Maybe I was delirious when I started this thread?

Greg: I used his TR sear. Thing is unbelievable. I had to do a little work on the sear face of my safety (too meaty for Chuck's sear), but other than that it was drop in. When you pull the trigger straight back, the hammer just falls. I now understand the "glass rod" description. I have all the sear leaves set to 3 lbs with no follow.

Wa Jim: Chuck milled the back end of my slide for a Harrison GI retro. It should arrive today. Once I'm feeling better, you can bet your last dollar target pics will immediately follow.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlsbud View Post
...You're not the only one Chuck has been kind and generous to....
Amen!
Old 12-13-2012, 05:09 PM

Other than him having to stand on a dime to jump over a nickel...I guess he's an ok guy.
I kid because he can take it and he deserves the recognition. Big heart too!
Joe
Old 12-13-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Rogers View Post
Other than him having to stand on a dime to jump over a nickel...I guess he's an ok guy.
I kid because he can take it and he deserves the recognition. Big heart too!
Joe
I havn't done much of that since the Lucky Charms contract ended. Now I just stand on the dime and hope I can keep it....lol.

I appreciate Chris' enthusiasm and support, as well as that of the rest of you.

Doing something like his repair keeps the true gunsmithing skills around. Its a reminder that not every solution comes out of a bag or off of a CNC.

....and it can be fun in a cruel kinda way....
Old 12-13-2012, 07:07 PM

Momma always told me, "What goes around, comes around. Do good for others and it will come back to you." Chuck's just livin' it like he got the same lessons. We have never met, but I've admired his work for many years. Saw the first of his "children" at a few matches in the SE. When he first resurfaced after a multi - year hiatus, I was so happy to see him getting back in the game. Too much talent to waste. And now he's spreading it around.

And about that 'stash. The last pic I saw, it was missing in action. Is it back?
Old 12-13-2012, 08:50 PM

I had a case of that last week, sent me to the doctor for the first time in 3 years. Love to see some double NyQuil neat with a Greenore chaser macros! Dose that bug and get clickin, I wanna see what the Irishman wrought!
Old 12-14-2012, 07:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordofbarbeque View Post
I don't know of any people having problems with Chuck. But I suspect he might not be too happy with you now that you have exposed this S&M relationship that I'm perceiving ya'll may have. This is based on all the touching your bottom references and late night stuff that you are mentioning in your post.

You know, now that you mention it, that Log guy talks real nicely about him too.

But you guys do have my curiosity up and I'm going to have to call Mr. Warner some day and see if he can talk as long as the the legendary Crazy John of Les Baer fame.
Have you ever driven to Albuquerque from Austin? There is no good way to do it. I would be hard pressed to believe in long distance folly from those two bases of operation.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:42 PM

It has always amazed me about the forum that the professionals and other extremely talented machinists so freely give of their experience and expertise. I have learned a lot from posting less and reading more.

Bedford
Old 12-14-2012, 10:49 PM

[QUOTE=CWarner;4200884]
...Doing something like his repair keeps the true gunsmithing skills around. Its a reminder that not every solution comes out of a bag or off of a CNC...
QUOTE]

That is it. The man still can make it work with what he's got. And he wants to keep those skills sharp. Thats what makes him good.