1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 11-24-2012, 07:24 PM

Glocks now made in America

I was in my LGS today, and one of the guys showed me this new model Glock 19 (which was a Gen3, not Gen4) that had a factory stainless color slide (not an aftermarket treatment - it came from the factory that way) and the frame was marked "Made in America" and "Smyrna, GA" or something like that. I don't know what date it was made (do Glocks come with a test fired shell envelope? It's been a while since I bought one.)

It looked more like a matte stainless, not bright...and in racking the slide, it felt very slippery. It looked more dull than the aftermarket stainless treatments I've seen, similar to the matte stainless like the Ruger SR1911.

This may not be news to everyone, but I was surprised to see it. But then I often wake up in a new world....
Old 11-24-2012, 07:35 PM

I think they've been making them in GA for a short time now. They still make them in their other factories of course. Not sure if this was just to supplement demand or cut import costs or what. Haven't heard anything about the color though.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:41 PM

Yes, some Glocks are Made in the USA, making them more American than a 1911 Springfield that was made in Brazil and put together in IL. Or Like Toyota buling trucks in Texas vs Chevrolet building in Mexico...

Glock has used a few markings. Some just have the GA info, some have country and state info. At first they were going to be for export but I guess things changed.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:43 PM

Question???

Made in America OR Assembled in America

There is a difference. Many foreign auto plants are located in the US and assemble the cars in the US but the parts are made and shipped from other countries, for the most part.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
Question???

Made in America OR Assembled in America

There is a difference. Many foreign auto plants are located in the US and assemble the cars in the US but the parts are made and shipped from other countries, for the most part.
Made, as in the frame, slide, and barrel are marked USA not Austria.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow93 View Post
I think they've been making them in GA for a short time now. They still make them in their other factories of course. Not sure if this was just to supplement demand or cut import costs or what. Haven't heard anything about the color though.
Actually they've always been made there, its really marketing hype.

Right now, Glock is losing market share, and a lot of it. Both to new shooters, who are selecting the latest and greatest of the polymer pistols, and more experienced shooters who are looking for more than the Glock.

Ironically Glock is losing out to the 1911 AND to the newer polymer pistols.

This has a lot to do with both better molded grips and better triggers in the newer polymer guns... and to the 1911 which has always had good trigger/grip.

So right now Glock is looking at a lot of competition that is outstripping their own design... either by new innovation... or older guns that have maintained their design and are being rediscovered.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Many foreign cars/trucks have a higher percentage of US made parts than domestic companies. Toyota comes to mind.

I suspect that Glock is making guns in the United States to get certain government contracts. Similar to what Sig and Beretta have done. Good for them, good for the people that work there, and good for their local economies.

Robert
Old 11-24-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thearmedrebel View Post
I suspect that Glock is making guns in the United States to get certain government contracts. Similar to what Sig and Beretta have done. Good for them, good for the people that work there, and good for their local economies.

Robert
Heh... naw they've always been made here man,

Those Glocks have been stamped Smyrna Georgia since 1991. That's the first time I ever got a look at one.

So... no its just marketing hype.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Sorry, but "good 'ol all-American Glock" just doesn't roll off the tongue very well.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Sorry, but "good 'ol all-American Glock" just doesn't roll off the tongue very well.
Amen. Agreed. Well stated.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thearmedrebel View Post
Many foreign cars/trucks have a higher percentage of US made parts than domestic companies. Toyota comes to mind.

Robert
Just for personal info: Do you drive a Toyota?

I have a first cousin that is a supervisor in a Toyota plant. He has repeatedly mentioned that the parts, frames, motors and much more come in on boats from across the pond. His plant often shuts down while waiting for parts to get over here or through customs.

I also admit to never having been in one of their plants nor have I ever worked for, owned or even driven a Toyota.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:32 PM

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1414037
Old 11-24-2012, 09:36 PM

NiB coated? Nickel Boron most likely
Old 11-24-2012, 09:40 PM

Please nobody say the builds here are the cause of the naysayers,and the "perfection" went in the crapper at that time.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:27 AM

All of my Glocks have Smyrna Georgia on them

My oldest Glock which is a G17 was made in 1998 and has Smyrna Georgia on it
NRA Life Member and NO I dont do Facebook
Old 11-25-2012, 01:44 AM

I had read a while back, I think in one of Patrick Sweeney's books, that there are a lot of restriction issues with the importation of guns, and that it's based on a point system. In order to meet import requirements, Glock has to assemble a pistol with features that are removed upon delivery here in the States. Building them here eliminates that.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye1911 View Post
All of my Glocks have Smyrna Georgia on them

My oldest Glock which is a G17 was made in 1998 and has Smyrna Georgia on it
All of my previous Glocks said (well, they didn't say anything, but you know what I mean) "Made in Austria" and "Smyrna, Georgia" on them. This was the first one I've ever seen that had "Made in America" on the frame.

It was good to see that.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:17 AM

As I understand it from the thread linked by SuHu, six posts above,
the only guns Glock Inc builds completely in the USA are for export
to countries that prohibit gun imports directly from Austria.
Currently only G17 pistols are made entirely here, all are exported.

The guns we buy here in the United States maybe assembled here
or assembled in Austria depending upon the model.
Certain parts are made in Austria, certain parts made here.
If assembled here of both US and Austrian parts,
it will be marked Made in U.S.A.

At least that's what the thread at GlockTalk says.
The info may be right, it may be wrong.

Frankly, I don't have a dog in the fight one way or the other.

Anyone challenging that should go to GlockTalk,
it will fall upon deaf ears if it falls upon mine.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuHu View Post
Basically...

"Glock with seriel numbers ending in "US" were manufactured and assembled in Austria for importation into the USA. If the seriel number lack the "US" at the end, the parts were manufactured in Austria but assembled in Smyrna, Georgia at the glock plant and are slated for US and overseas markets"

Aka... at best they are "assembled" in Smyrna... which is where they've been assembled since the early 90s.

The parts are actually made in Austria... then imported here where they are assembled in Georgia. I can verify this has been happening since 1991... any earlier though... I couldn't verify.

In a nutshell... its not even as like Springfield Armory who only has the frames made in Brazil, for Glock... all the parts are made in Austria.

Last edited by Silverquick; 11-25-2012 at 02:22 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:44 AM

The same link also says there are frames made in the USA
assembled with slides made in Austria
for the U.S. market.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick A View Post
The same link also says there are frames made in the USA
assembled with slides made in Austria
for the U.S. market.
Yes, such as the 36,26, which wouldn't meet import regulations. Has always been the case.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:01 AM

Imports are marked Austria or Made in Austria.

Exports were marked marked USA or Made in USA, but now they can be sold in the USA.

US made and sold were marked Smyrna GA and USA.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:45 AM

My 36 manufactured in 2010 says made in Austria Glock inc.Smyrna ,Ga.on the frame and Austria on the slide.Who knows?COLD.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:51 AM

US made as stated previously is for contracts/export to allied nations aka Iraq and other third world destinations where the local militias, err, police and military need a uniform pistol.

H. L. Mencken
Old 11-25-2012, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
Just for personal info: Do you drive a Toyota?
Not currently, though I have had several. My first was made by people I knew in Fremont, California. At the time (1993), their power-trains came from Japan, but the rest was made on site or shipped in from other US suppliers. Many of the older guys that worked there used to build cars for Ford in Milpitas, California. They were outsourced to Canada a long time ago.

Something else to consider when a foreign company opens a plant in the US, it provides local jobs at the plant, but it also means construction jobs and jobs for people supplying materials to the plant and offices, not to mention a boost to the local economy when plant workers buy goods and services.

I used to work for a company that builds office furniture (Harpers in Post Falls, Idaho). Orders from Toyota for filing cabinets, chairs and cubicle panels (the department I worked in) kept us open and working for several years. Just one example.

Robert