1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Ammo Can

Old 11-14-2012, 08:45 PM

What happened to CCI Mini Mag 22lr 40 gr copper clad round nose ammo?

This ammo is gone! I cannot find it anywhere online or in retail stores. Does anyone know of a suitable replacement? I've tried several other brands and they just don't cut it. Federal are the worst of the worst. The Mini-Mags are by far the best 22lr round I have found. They feed reliably in both my match pistol and rifle while other brands constantly give me issues. They are also extremely accurate for supposedly "non match" grade rounds. I can shoot 1 to 1.5 inch groups at 50 and 100 yards with my 10/22 match rifle with bull barrel. My S & W bull barrel pistol does the same at 25 yards with these rounds. I don't need much better accuracy than that. Especially at $6.95 per 100 rounds. Any recommendations that don't cost an arm and a leg?
Old 11-14-2012, 09:02 PM

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/produc...lid-point-ammo
Old 11-14-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arji View Post
This ammo is gone! I cannot find it anywhere online or in retail stores....
After not seeing any in my local Wally World for several months, I saw some just a couple of days ago. You might check your local WW. I even took a picture with my cell phone to keep the price as reference - it was $6.77/100. I've also had good luck with Federal Auto Match, but it's not plated. Another post regarding Kimber 22 conversions mentioned that the Winchester M-22 was nearly as good as CCI Mini-Mags. It's only available in big 1000 round boxes, but it's a bit less expensive than MMs. May be worth checking out.

Good luck with your search,

dakotaTex
Old 11-15-2012, 12:15 AM

This stuff has been hard to get for the last few months. At the shop I work at we've had a tough time locating it from distribution. Ammo has been super popular this year.

Sean
Old 11-15-2012, 06:05 AM

Locally in Connecticut, Dicks sporting goods
Old 11-15-2012, 06:55 AM

CCI did a huge "Limited Edition" Troy Landry 'Choot Em' boxed Mini Mag. The bulk/loose pack boxes were in gun stores starting in July. They also had 250 round boxes of 22WMR 'Choot Em'.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamloco76 View Post
CCI did a huge "Limited Edition" Troy Landry 'Choot Em' boxed Mini Mag. The bulk/loose pack boxes were in gun stores starting in July. They also had 250 round boxes of 22WMR 'Choot Em'.
I've bought a couple of those, but they are the 36 grain HP, not the 40 grain RN bullets. It's the RN the OP asked about. Hopefully just the seasonal ebb and flow of ammo. It really is good stuff and runs in my 1911 conversions very well.

I also have great luck with Stingers, but dang, they are expensive.

dakotaTex
Old 11-15-2012, 05:12 PM

Its scarce around here as well. Went to the local range yesterday and they were out. Claimed they haven't been able to get it for weeks. I don't need any really as I have plenty to last me into 2014 but of all the ammo to be short on, 22LR just seems weird!
Old 11-15-2012, 06:27 PM

Their "AR Tactical" is copper clad 40grain at the same listed velocity.

Appearance wise, they are almost identical. The nose is just slightly more bulbous/larger diameter radius.
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
Old 11-15-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_dawg View Post
Their "AR Tactical" is copper clad 40grain at the same listed velocity.

Appearance wise, they are almost identical. The nose is just slightly more bulbous/larger diameter radius.
I noticed the new Tactical is available in bulk packs and thought I would try it in my conversions. IIRC it is listed at 1200 fps with the MiniMag at 1235.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:51 PM

The CCI mini mag have dried up here for awhile, Wally has lately been getting a few here and there.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamloco76 View Post
Still tons and tons of both types at Cabela's a whole end cap with a pallet in the back room.
As well as 100 packs.
Academy sports has tons of 100 round packs.
I shoot plenty of the federal 550 packs in all my guns only one that has even a hiccup is the P22 and every now and then i get a cartridge that was little underpowered and empty hole {stove pipe} it kicks one out and does not feed the next maybe 1-2 at most out a 200 rounds.