1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Rock Island Armory

Old 11-03-2012, 01:00 AM

New RIA CS

I recently purchased a new RIA CS, base model, or GI, or whatever the designation for "not the Tactical model" is. I purchased it from Bud's. Shipping and FFL went smoothly. Fit and finish was what I expected. I bought a few different magazines and a few different brands of ammo, both ball and hp. All 230 gr.

I really enjoy the surprising accuracy and modest recoil. It carries well in both my Desantis Mini Scabbard and my Galco King Tuk.

Now for the bad news. I've thus far fired around 300 rounds through it. 50% of the time it would fail to return to battery. Didn't matter which mag, and all ammo was equally inconsistant. I emailed RIA, and in a matter of minutes, had a response from them asking for my information and letting me know they would be sending out a new recoil spring. Thus far, the experience with RIA and their CS has been great and I have no complaints other than the obvious. My question though, is that some articles and information that I have read have said that changing the recoil spring is treating the symptoms, not the problem.I would like this to be my EDC, as I shoot it well and find it very comfortable, but until I've got to the root of this, I won't be. If the new recoil spring fixes the problem, is that a done deal, or do I need to dig a little deeper? Thanks all!
Attached Thumbnails
1911.jpg   photo-2.jpg   photo.jpg   photo-1.jpg  

RIA GI/CS, MA ACii FS, SW22A
Old 11-03-2012, 06:59 AM

Your CS pistol comes with a 22lb. recoil spring, from the factory. did they say they were going to send you a new Wolff 22lb. spring or a 24lb. spring? IMO some of the factory springs somewhat weak. are you using any grease on the rails? the new pistols are tight, they need to wear in, thus the break in period. some RIA pistols need to be run wet with oil or grease for awhile. if you have not smoothed the rails, try just racking the slide, without the recoil spring about a hundred times every night for a few nights, this will sometimes correct the problem. if they send you a 24lb. spring shoot a few hundred rounds, then put the old spring back, see if it runs with it then.if so , just leave it in.I didn't change my CS spring until I had over 3,000 rounds through it, I just wanted to see how long it would go.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:25 PM

hello, nice gun and grips, looks like mine, i got mine used with 200 rounds thru it, i run anthing from factory round ball to swc reloads in it and absolutely no problems whatsoever, i even compete against my friends thousand dollar full size kimber and hold my own, my guess would be that your gun will be fine after a few more rounds thru it, also my gun came with original box but no paper work or lock, i e-mailed ivan and he responded quickly, i got in the mail today, a owners manual, warranty card, casette, lock, and two nice decals, all is well with the world, rich
Old 11-05-2012, 07:58 PM

Springs

I got the new spring in the mail today, along with a pen, a couple decals and Ivan's card. The spring was in a plain baggy and I don't know what weight it is. Its about a half inch longer than original.

I've racked the slide sans spring a few hundred times now. Hopefully I'll get back to the range tomorrow and let everybody know how it goes.

RIA GI/CS, MA ACii FS, SW22A
Old 11-05-2012, 08:45 PM

The new spring will get shorter, after you use it for awhile......
Old 11-05-2012, 09:25 PM

Im on the edge of gi or tactical. I like the sights better on the tactical.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:22 PM

The Tac is worth he extra $....