1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Old 10-29-2012, 12:13 AM

Powder Shortage Beginning?

Are we beginning to see a powder shortage developing? For the last 3 weeks I have been watching my local stores to pick up a pound or two of IMR-4350. The only thing that has come in was an 8LB keg which I quickly purchased. May take me awhile to go thru this but at least I have it. It is my primary powder for .30-06 and .270 Win.

Scott
Old 10-29-2012, 12:39 AM

Depends on what happens next week. I remember four years ago and what happened.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:05 AM

I am thinking that it is already started. Fear of what happened last time.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:18 AM

Primers are starting to get tight around here. Maybe that's one advantage to keeping both SP and LP 45 cases, I can use whatever primer I get my hands on.
My favorite 22 ammo (CCI Standard Velocity) has been so sporadic I ordered a case online.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:48 AM

Get it online. No shortage at Powder Valley. Cheaper there too.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:13 AM

I just placed an order ... just in case it gets tight for longer than I expect. I wanted to try the Tula LPP but wasnt so sure about the Tula SPP. PV was out of Win, Fed and CCI SPP with the exception of magnums. Rem are expensive so I ended up buying Tula SPP anyway. Im hoping to not run into issues with the Tula SPP's but I guess we'll see. I use a Ram Prime to seat so if it turns out just to be seating depth and not truly "duds" I'll know. Now I need to stock up on some more bullets, especially 9mm.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:47 AM

Grafs has a good selection of both LPP and SPP from different companies. I use Winchester in both and they seem to have plenty in stock. Same prices as I've seen all year from them.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:52 AM

People freaking out about a shortage is what *causes* shortages, as far as I can tell.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horoscope Fish View Post
People freaking out about a shortage is what *causes* shortages, as far as I can tell.
Yep I survived the Great Primer Shortage of 1994!
Old 10-29-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldsco View Post
Are we beginning to see a powder shortage developing? For the last 3 weeks I have been watching my local stores to pick up a pound or two of IMR-4350. The only thing that has come in was an 8LB keg which I quickly purchased. May take me awhile to go thru this but at least I have it. It is my primary powder for .30-06 and .270 Win.

Scott

Or maybe it's almost deer season, and those two are very popular calibers for deer hunting.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:40 AM

I went to a local gun show yesterday. There were plenty of primers of all types. There was plenty of powder also. The prices were good, so I don't see a problem in our area. I think some people seem to see a problem when there is really not one.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:43 AM

Let the hoarding begin !
Old 10-29-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Agreed. I stock up 3 times a year and recently picked up plenty of powder, primers, and bullets. He was a little short on SPP but still had 20-30k in stock.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laudanum View Post
Rem are expensive so I ended up buying Tula SPP anyway. Im hoping to not run into issues with the Tula SPP's but I guess we'll see. I use a Ram Prime to seat so if it turns out just to be seating depth and not truly "duds" I'll know.

I went through about 20 K of Tula SPP within last year, and had about 20 duds, and found 1 w/o the anvil yesterday, since I just shoot for fun now I will still be using them because of the price, but I do have some CCI put aside for serious stuff.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyRod View Post
He was a little short on SPP...
Well, then, you really need to be freaking out. Why are you not freaking out?!! Do you need help freaking out? I mean, dude if that's what it is don't be afraid to reach out... I feel safe in saying we're *ALL* here for you, man.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:14 AM

picked up 84# of powder and 20K primers last week , seems pretty easy to find stuff

Heck just the other day I saw 2040# of powder just sitting on a street corner

Old 10-29-2012, 12:17 PM

^^^A hand drill(not cordless)and a funnel with bucket.Get all you need for life.

Need oversized powder funnels, PTX's or expanders? Dillon, Hornady, Lyman, Lee replacements
I make custom dies also. PM for details.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:20 PM

There is at my house because some dirt-bag in the UPS shipping center stole my order!
Old 10-29-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut606 View Post
I went through about 20 K of Tula SPP within last year, and had about 20 duds, and found 1 w/o the anvil yesterday, since I just shoot for fun now I will still be using them because of the price, but I do have some CCI put aside for serious stuff.
That's more reassuring then. I only punch paper for fun myself so if I come across 1 dud per 1K, no big deal.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Well, then, you really need to be freaking out. Why are you not freaking out?!! Do you need help freaking out? I mean, dude if that's what it is don't be afraid to reach out... I feel safe in saying we're *ALL* here for you, man.
Now that you mention it, he only had 8lbs jugs of 231 and 1 lbs jugs of Varget.

Commencing the freaking out ...... now.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:10 PM

Checked PV for CCI SPP's for about a week. There one day, gone the next. Back again in a day or two. I ordered last week and received them today. Checked a few minutes ago and they are out again. They must have almost daily shipments from CCI. If you see them listed you better order then.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Well, I contributed to the "cause" of any future shortage this afternoon by freaking out and running to the reloading store after reading this thread !!!

I picked up 6 lbs powder, 4,000 lg primers, 1,000 sm primers, 3,000 - 200 gn lead round nose, and 500 - 230 gn jacketed bullets. Thats on top of what I already had in stock. Wanted to get more but ran out of $$.

The kicker is, I have never done any reloading.... Ever.

But, just last week I bought a dillon 550 and all the accessories, and enough stuff for 3,000 more reloads. All .45 cal. Been lurking in the reloading forum for some time now, and Im sure I will have many questions in the near future.

The guys at Graffs (spelling ?) said there has been a run on powder and primers lately, but just before the election it will probably get worse. I thought it was just before the election.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:07 PM

Hope you bought blue primers and powder!
Old 10-29-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
And internet threads with alarmist posts *cause* people to freak out.

I'm happy to say that the majority of members on this Forum don't seem to be alarmed or freaked. Good on you guys.
I doubt the behavior of the rest of the world will become disgusting, but it might. Let's see what becomes of it.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:13 PM

This post had nothing to do with my freaking out, I was already freaking out
Just kidding, not a real freak out. I only had the components that I started with a few months back. Just seemed like a prudent time to make sure Im covered for the next little while. I dont know about reloading components but ammo got tougher to find 4 years ago although I was always able to find it for a decent price.