1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 10-19-2012, 11:12 PM

Frog Lube

I bought a frog lube kit today. It's a go green kit to clean and lube your gun. I like the job it does. Has anyone used this kit before?
Old 10-19-2012, 11:21 PM

I didn't buy the kit but have the paste & liquid and it's all I use, very good product.

Pistol Brass For Sale
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=433516
Old 10-19-2012, 11:35 PM

I bought the kit and the solvent. Not sure of the job the solvent is doing. What do you guys use as solvent before you apply the lube? Do you still use a bore cleaner?
Old 10-20-2012, 07:44 AM

I was wondering the same.....got the paste for both my father and I. Do you all still use a bore cleaner or does the Frog Lube truly do it all? Admittedly, it will be hard to walk away from Hoppe's No. 9!
Old 10-20-2012, 07:54 AM

I used to use H9 for bore cleaning before and I now I just use the liquid frog lube for everything. It works pretty well. Once everything is done the gun smells like it got dipped on mouthwash or something.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:00 AM

Just started using frog lube also (paste and liquid), so far it seems great, but gonna give it some time to see if it is any better than anything else out there.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:39 PM

I use Frog Lube for everything.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:43 PM

I will have to check it out. Dipped in mouthwash huh?
Old 10-20-2012, 08:19 PM

Can't say I've ever heard of it... nor do I recall seeing it carried locally. Is it a internet only item?
Old 10-20-2012, 08:28 PM

It's not an Internet only product, but almost. You can Google them and they do have dealers, but not any in my area. I got the kit off Amazon.com and had to Google where to find the solvent to order it.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:42 PM

I've used frog lube exclusively on my RIA since I got it. About 5K rounds through it now with no problems and it's always performed well. I did follow the directions and leave the gun in the sun til it was uncomfortably hot to handle and then coated everything, let it sit and wiped it down 20 minutes later.

Now when I go out and shoot it starts dry and as the gun heats up it gets wet.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanthor View Post
I've used frog lube exclusively on my RIA since I got it. About 5K rounds through it now with no problems and it's always performed well. I did follow the directions and leave the gun in the sun til it was uncomfortably hot to handle and then coated everything, let it sit and wiped it down 20 minutes later.

I have heard of people doing this process and I have heard nothing but good. I may have to give it a try.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:03 PM

Here is a link to Frog Lubes site for anyone who wants info on the products and the company.

http://www.froglube.com/roothome.htm

Pistol Brass For Sale
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=433516
Old 10-20-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanthor View Post

Do you use any solvent for cleaning and a bore cleaner?
Old 10-20-2012, 09:05 PM

Been using FL for a year or so. No kits when I bought it(three 8oz. tubs of paste and two 8oz.bottles of liquid.)

Recently bought some FL solvent;only use it on the bore when it needs it for fouling just north of the chamber/not every cleaning.

I think the trick to Frog Lube is to use it exclusively;and,do not degrease with harsh solvents ever.

To clean I wipe everything down well(toothbrushes and q-tips)then,reapply. I use the liquid sparingly to reach places the toothbrush won't. =more paste than liquid.

Have not finished an 8oz. tub yet;and,I clean/lube with it on about 12 guns(pistols,shotguns and rifles).

First got it to use on blued guns only. Now use it on all of them(stainless,blued,nickel,anodized aluminum)

Just bought a small tub of paste for my range bag. It has changed color since I first purchased the stuff! The original I got was sort of a turquoise green. New stuff looks more like pea-green to me.

Smells good;and,I don't mind applying some with my fingers=non-toxic is good.

Last edited by Shad Roe; 10-20-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:08 AM

Been using Frog Lube exclusively for about 6 months now. I had read the stories and reviews, etc., thought I'd try it out for myself and see how it was. You know, actually trying out something new before discounting it like most folks seem to like to do, hehe. I really like it, it does a great job and once your gun is "seasoned" with Frog Lube and with each subsequent cleaning with it, the fouling and gunk literally just wipes off. If I do run across a small stubborn spot I dab a little more Frog Lube on a cloth and rub it a bit and it cleans it right up.

The first time before I used it, I used rubbing alcohol as a degreaser before applying Frog Lube. I haven't used the Frog Lube degreaser so can't give an opinion there.

Is it the greatest thing out there? Don't know! But it's AT LEAST as good as anything else I've ever used, if not better. Nothing else I've used has allowed me to just wipe the guns down at the end of the day, they had to be really CLEANED. And with Frog Lube it doesn't stink the house up, and doesn't dry out your hands when you use it.

I've become a believer. They do need to expand the dealer network though. I had to order mine online also.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQDawg View Post
It's not an Internet only product, but almost. You can Google them and they do have dealers, but not any in my area. I got the kit off Amazon.com and had to Google where to find the solvent to order it.
They are in the process of establishing distributors nationwide. I can put you in contact with folks doing this if interested.

I use it on everything. The liquid acts as a solvent as well as a lubricant
Old 10-21-2012, 06:34 AM

I've used it on my 1911R1, Springfield XD Tactical and my Walther P1/P38. Seems to do a good job without the odor. Just use the liquid and the paste. Ordered mine on-line.
Haven't seen any at my LGS's.
Haven't used it on my revolvers yet.
I used a cheap hair dryer to heat it up the last time. Seemed to be working fine without the heat, but time will tell.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:36 AM

Been using FL for about 6 months now. I think it's great. I've tried all the other lubes from automatic transmissiom fluid to regular gun lubes. This is the best I have found. It works for me. Easy to clean. I use a heat gun on low at a distance to heat the gun. I still can't give up Hoppe's for a bore cleaner. Maybe time will change my mind.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:51 AM

I use a hair dryer to heat the guns. My wife thinks I'm crazy sitting there at a table blowing a hair dryer on the gun parts before I apply the paste.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:10 PM

Heh my wife's was giving me the crazy eyes just a little while ago for using her hair dryer on mine. I've just recently started using it, like it so far. It's certainly no worse than anything else and with the minty scent non oil based I can sit in the living room and watch the game (Panthers lose again..... surprise) while cleaning on the coffee table. I've always used hoppe's and still keep it around for cleaning other people's guns or if I get one that's FILTHY. I've also soaked liquid FL into a sunglass cleaning cloth and keep it in the bag for wipedown duties.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:07 PM

I've been laughing with my wife about the blow dryers. Does heating the 1911 @ 150 in the oven sound crazy?
Old 10-23-2012, 02:09 AM

Iíve only recently bought some Frog Lube. Paste and liquid. Iíve only used it on one gun so far. My AR. A couple of days ago before I put any rounds thru her, I pulled the BCG and ran my finger down the rails. I could feel the lube. 50 rounds later, I pulled the BCG, and the entire BCG was wet with lube. Looks like this stuff is everything itís supposed to be. Sure is strange pulling an AR out of itís case and having it smell like peppermint. Thatís going to take some getting used to.

Here is a video on Frog Lube done by a guy Iíve been watching for years. Frog Lube liked the video so much, they use it on their web site. Worth watching for the correct use of Frog Lube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqQ_GEC6EKE&feature=plcp
Old 10-23-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs99 View Post
I've been laughing with my wife about the blow dryers. Does heating the 1911 @ 150 in the oven sound crazy?
It seems wrong. Also avoid the clothes dryer. It makes a lot of noise in there.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:04 AM

Have not used the kit and did not know they offered a solvent. I used alcohol to first clean and degrease the gun. Field stripped and left the parts out in the summer sun, parts seemed to absorb the Frog Lube. I will continue to use it as it works and like the smell. I shoot lead bullets and barrel looks very clean after shooting. It was hard to find at first but now you can find it on Midway.