1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 08:32 AM

All the fuss about Mr. Wiley Clapp?

If you do a Google search for Wiley Clapp, about all you will find is some articles from the various gun magaizines that he has written. He is obviously on the writing staff of some of these various publications, and it looks like he has written some gun related books too ... but that's about it.

Even Wikipedia has nothing on him. No bio under the name Wiley Clapp.

I looked on the official website for the USA Shooting Team, but could not find his name there either (to include the members of the board of directors).

Looked on the NRA official site ... He has not been a member of the board of directors there either.

But, this guy must be very very popular in order to get guns named after him. Even Colt has a Wiley Clapp special edition 1911 named in his honor.

So ... just to ask a stupid question ... Who is this Wiley Clapp anyway?
Old 10-15-2012, 08:54 AM

Marketers are among those who stand to gain by exploiting subcultures' and common-interest groups' inevitable icons (real or invented). I cynically concluded awhile back that, whatever Clapp's background, it's mainly because he wrote a couple of books about guns and has a name that kind of stands out that Talo concluded that the "Wiley Clapp" moniker would make a good marketing tool. (Talo has also commissioned special Clapp Rugers, S&Ws, and maybe others). I've seen a couple of gun mag reviews of Clapp-edition guns with gushing contrived hyperbole about how the great and legendary Wiley Clapp was coaxed to come down from his mountaintop to design the product under review because of an urgent groundswell of demand in the gun community for a gun that met all of his exacting specifications and included none that he thought superfluous. Etcetera, etcetera...

Today, advertisers successfully use sports figures to endorse all kinds of products, knowing that superficial, celebrity-obsessed consumers will take the bait.

Back when on TV, advertisers created celebrities as marketing icons whether they had any celebrity beyond the commercials themselves. Are you old enough to remember Rula Lenska?

Last edited by nosreme; 10-15-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:00 AM

Has Wiley Clapp ever posted here on the 1911 Forum?
Old 10-15-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo6ta View Post
What? That gentleman need not go slummin' here!

He gets all the marketing kickback he needs from TALO!
Old 10-15-2012, 09:44 AM

Besides writing for a few gun mags, Clapp was a Marine rifle platoon leader in Vietnam. He went on to be a full-time cop (Orange County, I think) in Southern CA. A little more time in the ringer than that guy with the strange-sounding name who is considered a police-training and use of force expert. I wouldn't mind having one of the Colts he designed.
Bob
Old 10-15-2012, 09:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OIF2 View Post
Besides writing for a few gun mags, Clapp was a Marine rifle platoon leader in Vietnam. He went on to be a full-time cop (Orange County, I think) in Southern CA. A little more time in the ringer than that guy with the strange-sounding name who is considered a police-training and use of force expert. I wouldn't mind having one of the Colts he designed.
Bob
Good thing you stepped in and cleared this up. Not posting here and on you tube really made this guy a mystery man. Go figure!
Old 10-15-2012, 10:03 AM

He has written a book or two; one of them being "Gun Digest Book of the 9mm" back in the 80's, which he co-authored with Dean Grennell.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OIF2 View Post

Besides writing for a few gun mags, Clapp was a Marine rifle platoon leader in Vietnam. He went on to be a full-time cop (Orange County, I think) in Southern CA.
Lots of folks were Marine or Army rifle platoon leaders in the Nam, and then got out to be cops. I was in Viet Nam and Desert Storm myself, but that don't make me any kind of expert, to say the least.

I don't have nothing against Mr. Clapp ... I just was wondering what made him stand out to be so special as to have special edition guns named after him. I just first read his name when seeing posts on this forum titled "Wiley Clapp Special Edition" this or that gun.

BTW ... It was sorta "tongue in cheek" when I asked if he had ever posted here, but since he is the gun expert ... hey, maybe it would be nice for him to come on a gun forum like this and say hello? Wouldn't take much of his time, now would it?
Old 10-15-2012, 10:38 AM

Wiley Clapp sounds like a new strain of STD!
Old 10-15-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
You kidding?

We post here because Wiley Clapp allows us to post here...

We enjoy our Colts because allows it.

Wiley Capp allows us because Chuck Norris commands him to do so.

Just messing with you. I appreciate the insight gained from his thread.

I'd love to have both the WC LW Commander & the WC Govm't.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Lots of folks were Marine or Army rifle platoon leaders in the Nam, and then got out to be cops. I was in Viet Nam and Desert Storm myself, but that don't make me any kind of expert, to say the least.

I don't have nothing against Mr. Clapp ... I just was wondering what made him stand out to be so special as to have special edition guns named after him. I just first read his name when seeing posts on this forum titled "Wiley Clapp Special Edition" this or that gun.

BTW ... It was sorta "tongue in cheek" when I asked if he had ever posted here, but since he is the gun expert ... hey, maybe it would be nice for him to come on a gun forum like this and say hello? Wouldn't take much of his time, now would it?
I don't know Mr Clapp; I've never met him or had any contact with him. I've only read a couple of his articles. I brought up his combat/police background because it adds to his credibility as far as his writing is concerned. I just don't like seeing someone getting bagged on that isn't in a position to defend himself; especially when he hasn't said or done anything that's silly or stupid. Looks like the only thing he's guilty of is having the good fortune of getting a gun or two named after him that he's designed. And it appears that they're nice Colts, too. Yes, there's lots of people with combat and/or police experience out there; the difference is that Mr Clapp has used that and realized a goal of doing what he likes while getting paid for it. If you don't think that what he writes is so special, try writing an article or two. It's not that hard. As far as Mr Clapp posting on the 1911Forum, I don't really care. There's more than enough interesting characters here now. But you seem to be irritated that he's not, so send him an e-mail and invite him.
Bob

Last edited by OIF2; 10-15-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:09 PM

Anyone that can get Colt to build new pre-80 series LW Commander is ok in my book.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
Anyone that can get Colt to build new pre-80 series LW Commander is ok in my book.
Roger that.
Bob
Old 10-15-2012, 02:16 PM

Yeah I know. But yes, even with Talo, when you can get a new LW Commander built without the Series 80 parts. I do not care what they call it.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:18 PM

He has this honor because many of us have been reading his stuff for over 25 years.
Colt Rail Gun .22, DW Guardian, V-Bob
Glock 17 ( Dave Sevigny Tuned )

Last edited by BPHORSEGUY; 10-15-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Administrator

I don't think it would make one iota of difference if it was a Wiley Clapp Commander, Dick Metcalf Commander, Pat Sweeney Commander, or Mas Ayoob Commander. These guys simply have the privilege of being able to rub shoulders with those high up in the gun indutry and make suggestions on new products. If Wiley Clapp was able to partner up with Colt and bring us a nice pre-80 custom Commander for the masses then more power to him. Who knows, maybe someday you'll see a DSK pre-war M1911A1 repro, given how much I've been badgering them to release such an animal.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I don't think it would make one iota of difference if it was a Wiley Clapp Commander, Dick Metcalf Commander, Pat Sweeney Commander, or Mas Ayoob Commander. These guys simply have the privilege of being able to rub shoulders with those high up in the gun indutry and make suggestions on new products. If Wiley Clapp was able to partner up with Colt and bring us a nice pre-80 custom Commander for the masses then more power to him. Who knows, maybe someday you'll see a DSK pre-war M1911A1 repro, given how much I've been badgering them to release such an animal.
As long as it does not look like saskwatch or swamp thing.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:32 PM

How would you like to have that name as a young man in middle school????????
Old 10-15-2012, 03:35 PM

I along with many other deputies, worked with him at the Central courthouse in Santa Ana. He ran Main Control and coordinated the movement of about 500 inmates a day. He is best remembered though for being our resident gun expert. If you had a question, he took the time to answer it for you.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa Dave View Post
How would you like to have that name as a young man in middle school????????
I've read somewhere that his name is actually a pseudonym. Perhaps OIF2 can confirm or deny this.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:39 PM

Thank's for the explanations.

Again, I have no axe to grind with Mr. Clapp by any means. I just had never heard of him before, but now I see all these Wiley Clapp Limited Edition hanguns on this forum ... Very very nice handguns to say the least.

I was just curious how he managed to get these various gun companies to place his personal name on a variety of different guns ... that's all.

To be honest, I would have guessed he was some previous world class pistol shooter ... akin to what Jack Nicklaus or Tiger Woods is/was to golf.

That's all

Last edited by Turbo6ta; 10-15-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:

as long as it wasn't fit too tight
Old 10-15-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
maybe someday you'll see a DSK pre-war M1911A1 repro, given how much I've been badgering them to release such an animal.
SOLD! Where do I send the check! I'll take the W.C. Commander too.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootblanks View Post
Wiley Clapp sounds like a new strain of STD!
I laughed out loud........no offense Wiley.............

Last edited by TREEMAN; 10-15-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuntaro View Post
As long as it does not look like saskwatch or swamp thing.