1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 10-13-2012, 04:53 PM

New agent problems

Hey all, I recently purchased a slightly used new agent in 45 acp. The original owner said he had only put about four magazines through it. When I took it out in the back yard to try it out I could not get through a magazine with out a failure to return to battery. The slide would lock up about halfway and would not feed a round unless I sling shotted the slide. I read everything I could find about the this and everything I read said to send it back to colt.

The little gun seemed to be binding the barrell on the under side of the slide. I looked over several times and thought about polishing the inside of the slide and easing the sharpe edges of the barrell lugs instead I applied a thin film of synthetic grease to the barrell lugs and solved the problem. No more failure to return to battery.

The gun now runs great until the last round of the mag and then it hangs up with the last round sitcking straight up with the nose of the bullet sticking out of the ejection port.

It came with a colt 6 round mag so I loaded it with 5 rounds and it works great and it runs great with full size 1911 8 round mags so I am pretty confident that this problem now lies with the colt magazine.

So my question is what would you recommend trying another brand of magazine or is there something I am missing?
Old 10-13-2012, 04:58 PM

Sounds like you've sorted the problem out already with the magazines. I would just try different magazines and see what works best.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:17 PM

First things to do when you have issues:

-Look for signs of abnormal wear, which could indicate something rubbing and affecting the cycle of operation.

-Try different mags/ammo
Old 10-13-2012, 05:22 PM

What brand of mags have you had success with in the new agent?
Old 10-13-2012, 06:12 PM

Don't have a new agent but I have two officer models they can be picky with the stock colt magazines but I've had good luck with Wilson mags and a kimber magazine.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:09 AM

How are the mag springs? replace them.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:38 AM

A weak recoil spring can give you those same symptons!
Colt Rail Gun .22, DW Guardian, V-Bob
Glock 17 ( Dave Sevigny Tuned )
Old 10-14-2012, 01:50 PM

sounds as if it needs some quality gun oil rubbing throughout the pistol and magazines
Old 10-14-2012, 02:47 PM

-seems like the magazine is the usual suspect again

-ive had super luck w/the checkmate brand ['C' on base]

-these come in diff. feed lip styles and were one of two stock Colt magazines i know of ['M' being the other , metalform ?, i think]

-when new the last round seems to screw up until broken in...sometimes, for me anyways, the first round [last loaded] can screw me up

-sounds like you diagnosed the problem...routine thorough cleaning and lubing is extremely vital w/these 3" pistols...a lot of mechanical actions happen super fast w/these compact carry guns

-i really like the NA's, Defenders and OM's...but 'they' do require more maintenance/care to keep reliable

-w/any previously owned weapon 'one' must examine it well

-for instance; incorrect parts/ parts installed backwords or forced in/ caveman tools and un~knowledgable basic assembly procedures
Old 10-14-2012, 04:45 PM

-forgot to mention...

-NA and Defender owners 'must' purchase an ultra~tool...

-these little ramped 1/2 pipes allow safe/fast disassemly/assembly of the slide, bbl. etc...i can not recommend these enuff [not sure if these work w/any FLGR 1911's]

-the best 30.oo investment, for this new generation of compact Colts IMO
Old 10-15-2012, 03:44 AM

Thanks, to all for their comments and recommendations. I have two 7 round Wilson combat mags ordered and will see if that cures my problem.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:31 PM

Update, problem solved. The Wilson mags came in this afternoon and after running each mag three times without a hitch no more last round problems. I am satisfied with the little Colt now and after a few more rounds if i don't have any problems I will start carrying it.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:42 PM

Congrats! Now you can enjoy your new pistol.

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O