1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Sig Sauer

Old 09-27-2012, 04:17 PM

Sig Sauer P226 MK25

I know this forum is primarily for 1911's , and I do have three Kimber 1911's. I just had to relay some info on my new purchase and range report with my first non-1911. I picked up the P226 MK25 tuesday and shot it wednesday. After a thouough cleaning I put about 250 rns thru it and I gotta say, it is now one of my favorite pistols! Absolutely no malfunctions of any kind and at 20 feet, less than 2 inch groups. Not too bad with these 70 yr old eyes.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:45 PM

I like you am a 1911 fan but also a big time Sig fan. I have three P226s one in each 9mm, .357 Sig and .40 S&W. Shooting a P226 in 9mm is crazy accurate and as much as I love my 1911s, what I have by my bed is a railed P226 .40 S&W with light and laser. The proven reliability of a Sig P226 makes me sleep better than any of my 1911s and they include Wilson, Nighthawks, LB and Guncrafters.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

it's pretty hard to go wrong with a 9MM 226. Congrats on the new purchase.

Not a disgruntled former Sig employee.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:07 PM

Well interestingly enough I think the P-22x series is an excellent gun as well...

The real reason I don't own a P-220 compact is because the trigger reach in double action is too long for me to fire accurately and I end up with trigger reach accuracy issues... meaning... I'd have to carry it cocked and locked.

So I figured, if I'm going to be carrying that way I'd be better off with a 1911 anyway. Which Ironically is a Sig 1911 and the real reason I was willing to take a chance on a 1911 made by Sig.

And I've been very happy with the C3 I've got for carry... But I will state, those P-22X models are great little firing guns with a good slim profile. Not quite as slim as the 1911 but close enough that I'd actually use one.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:14 PM

I had a similar experience to 2ndoldguy8. I bought a MK25 226 a few months ago, and it has quickly become one of my favorite pistols. I also own a 1911 and love it, but liked the capacity and features of the MK25. It is one fine pistol.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverquick View Post
So I figured, if I'm going to be carrying that way I'd be better off with a 1911 anyway. Which Ironically is a Sig 1911 and the real reason I was willing to take a chance on a 1911 made by Sig.
Well, you're giving up one of the most reliable feeding guns, the 226, for one of the twitchiest in that area. the 1911. I carry Polymer guns.

But I prefer to shoot 1911s at the range. They look better. Feel better. And are more accurate. But I don't number my polymer gun magazines, or keep a log on them. I do with my 1911s. Because I've learned there WILL be problems.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrabubbles View Post
Well, you're giving up one of the most reliable feeding guns, the 226, for one of the twitchiest in that area. the 1911. I carry Polymer guns.

But I prefer to shoot 1911s at the range. They look better. Feel better. And are more accurate. But I don't number my polymer gun magazines, or keep a log on them. I do with my 1911s. Because I've learned there WILL be problems.
Well I'd like to say I have the same experience... but... I don't...

And no I won't be using a P226 under any circumstance for carry as I will only do .45 caliber at close range, but if I was expecting longer ranges I would use 9mm. Still I find the Browning High power an even smoother firing 9mm if I were to make a choice.

I am talking P220... specifically.. and for carry.

But the Sig C3 is actually much more concealable. And since I'd have to carry cocked and locked due to trigger reach accuracy issues on the P22X series weapons in DA.... the 1911 is a much better format. Hence... while I like firing the P22X series, its not very practical for carry, and I get no advantages from using one... over a 1911.

My 1911s of various makers have been just as reliable as anything else. And I for the record... have also owned polymer frame guns, Even the supposedly reliable Glocks have had FTFs for me. My first one stovepiped twice within the first 200 rounds.

So you're not going to be convincing me anytime soon about which guns are more reliable than others.

I know them well...
Old 09-29-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
But I don't number my polymer gun magazines, or keep a log on them. I do with my 1911s. Because I've learned there WILL be problems.
Hmm, that's an over-reaching generalization. Do you really think the 1911 would have been the issued sidearm of the US armed forces for the better part of a century if they were unreliable?

I understand that some 1911's are unreliable because they are either poorly built or have strayed too far from JMB's design. I also understand that its an antiquated design that is more costly and time consuming to mass produce than many newer designs. But inherently unreliable? Nah.

But I own and have owned a number of 1911's made by Colt, Kimber, Springfield Armory, Remington, and Sig, and have never had any significant issues at all. Never sent one back to the factory, never taken one to a gunsmith. Never had one that wouldn't feed certain types of ammo, never had one that was particular about magazines. Maybe I'm just lucky, IDK? I sure wouldn't keep a pistol, or any gun for that matter, that I didn't trust to go bang each time I pull the trigger.

Anyway, to each his own. Certainly nothing wrong with a P226, or a Glock.

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Old 09-29-2012, 09:29 PM

I too just purchased an MK25 and I have to agree with you 100%. It is an incredible pistol!

Mike
Old 09-30-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab View Post
Hmm, that's an over-reaching generalization. Do you really think the 1911 would have been the issued sidearm of the US armed forces for the better part of a century if they were unreliable?
It's quite reliable! With Ball ammo... With any old JHP you happen to get? Different story. And that story revolves around magazines. The right magazine with the right bullet to work reliably with the controlled feed of the 1911.

The average polymer gun is definitely more reliable with JHP ammo. And more importantly is less finicky about OALs with wadcutters and other flat points. They just are.

I love 1911s. But I'm a realist.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:20 PM

If you ever get the opportunity shoot a SIG X5, SIG P210, or SIG P210 Legend. My X5 and P210 Legend rival any 1911 for accuracy. The X5 has a fully adjustable trigger that you can adjust; the weight of the pull, length of the pull, and set the trigger where you want it.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgun45 View Post
If you ever get the opportunity shoot a SIG X5, SIG P210, or SIG P210 Legend. My X5 and P210 Legend rival any 1911 for accuracy. The X5 has a fully adjustable trigger that you can adjust; the weight of the pull, length of the pull, and set the trigger where you want it.
Not fair. Taunting us with stories of P210 and X5 awesomeness only makes us lust more for high dollar goodies. It's already known that 1911s take up our high dollar budgets. Are you trying to get us into more trouble with the spousal units?...

__
Old 10-03-2012, 03:33 AM

Quote:
It's quite reliable! With Ball ammo... With any old JHP you happen to get? Different story.

I love 1911s. But I'm a realist.
I understand your concern... but its a little outdated... unfortunately for that viewpoint, the modern 1911s have been very reliable with hollowpoints.

In fact the Sig C3 I have has only been fed hollowpoints, whether thats plain old Remington, Gold Dot, or Golden Saber, and we're not talking just a box or two, we're talking upwards of 600 rounds worth.

While I have heard that Kimbers have issues with hollowpoints, I cannot verify this myself as I have never owned one.

However... both Springfield and Sig have been able to feed hollowpoints reliably for a very long time.

So I think you're a little off in your assessment.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvdemarco View Post
I too just purchased an MK25 and I have to agree with you 100%. It is an incredible pistol!

Mike
Ditto. Love mine

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349262889.012961.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	87789
Old 10-03-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Frame View Post
Not fair. Taunting us with stories of P210 and X5 awesomeness only makes us lust more for high dollar goodies. It's already known that 1911s take up our high dollar budgets. Are you trying to get us into more trouble with the spousal units?...

__
Do what I do, lie. That is how I got my Ed Brown...