1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Dan Wesson

Old 09-17-2012, 03:46 PM

V2xxx vs VBxxx V-Bobs

In looking at pics of V-Bob's (who doesn't like to look at pics of V-Bob's) and contemplating an upcoming purchase of one, I seem to see two different sets of serial numbers and one of the differences between the two seems to be how the slide stop is finished. Taken from recent threads in this forum -

Here is a V2xxx with what appears to have a rounded nub on the slide stop -

Here is a VBxxx with what appears to be a flattened nub on the slide stop -

I have seen a number of other V2xxx that seem to all have the rounded stop and at least one other VBxxx that has a flattened nub. Any ideas about if there any other differences between these guns?
Old 09-17-2012, 04:18 PM

I would not take any stock in the shape of the slide releases. They use what they have on hand.

No correlation at all.

Bob
Old 09-17-2012, 04:24 PM

The second VBOB with the "flat" ended slide stop may have been changed out from the stock slide stop based on the fact that in the picture you can see the sights (front and rear), trigger, and grips were all modified / upgraded / changed out. I wouldn't even call that flush cut since it appears to still protrude.

I own two VBOBs (one with a VBxxxx and the other Vxxxx) and they both have rounded slide stops. I believe they are from EGW or possibly tool steel from DW on newer models; both excellent quality.

The discussion about differences in VBOBs over time has definitely been asked a few times and Keith confirmed that VBOBs were introduced in 2010 along with the introduction of the new Duty Treatment.

Of course manufacturing processes likely change over time (optimized) however if you get a VBOB it is, by and large, the same from 2010 as it is in 2012. The differences really aren't that significant.

rbert0005 said it even simpler above...

Last edited by jsn124; 09-17-2012 at 04:25 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-17-2012, 04:41 PM

Mine is a V1xxx - flattened slide stop. Think they just use what they have in stock during the build.
Attached Thumbnails
005.jpg  
Old 09-17-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshcop View Post
Mine is a V1xxx - flattened slide stop. Think they just use what they have in stock during the build.
fshcop: beautiful VBOB there. I'm not arguing but most folks would pay additional to have a flush cut / recessed slide stop like yours. Maybe the DW guys did a run with them like that? Yours would be the first I've ever seen if that were the case.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshcop View Post
That is definitely different from the others. I've seen round and nubbed (but not flush with the side of frame) but that would be the first factory RECESSED V-Bob I've seen.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:00 PM

Mine is rounded but now i want one like fshcop.That thing is sweet.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:56 PM

If you look at the video of Keith at the shot show he states that they cut down the slide stops for those that may want laser grips because the duty treat makes it very hard to cut later!!