1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Parts and Accessories Bin

Old 09-13-2012, 05:59 PM

1911 .45 acp 9 round mags

I got a few questions, I looked to no avail. I know that there are a lot of amazing engineers(John Browning) who have designed the 1911 as well as a lot of input put in by the department of the Army to have the fine weapon we have now. We have 8 and 10 round mags for the 1911 that are very reliable, its undisputed that 8 round quality mags exist. Why not a 9 round 1911 mags what are the engineering problems behind this. To me it seems like it would be a natural progression to have one. We sent people to the moon and cant make a reliable 9 rounder.

Just wondered what the reasoning was behind not having one.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:11 PM

I knew this question sounded familiar.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=382095

With some spring and follower magic, you can get an 8 rounder to fit flush. Ten rounders accommodate some game rules and state magazine capacity laws.

It doesn't seem like 9 gives you any advantage one way or the other. I guess you could also ask, why not 11 rounders or 13, or whatever number. However, maybe there is a market segment you could address and make yourself a bunch of money by building and selling 9 round .45ACP 1911 mags.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:20 PM

Ive seen some 25 round 1911 magazines also a drum. I’m not going to pack them lol. 9 round does make sense if it sticks out a little bit. I don't live in California so capacity is not an issue. I might get a 10 round 1911 magazine cut it see if I can get a 9 round mag to work. Thanks for the thread reference I already read threw it, doesnt seem to me that my question was addressed well enough. More and more it seems that my questions are more engineering lately.

Last edited by daniel17319; 09-13-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:34 AM

1911 stick mags come in two distinct types - flush-fit, which includes 7-rd and 8-rd, and extended mags that start at 8-rd and go up to maybe 20-rd? I use the 8-rd that extends slightly, with a polymer finger rest covering the extension. Most mags of this type come from Taurus with new pistols or from MEC-GAR or ACT-MAG of Italy. It is not inconceivable that a flush-fit 9-rd could be made using advanced 'clock-spring' designs. A 9-rd using the standard-type spring by definition would have to extend out of the frame. The 8-rd that fits flush has always been problematic unless Colt has recently improved it, which is why the extended 8-rd is a better idea - it is basically a longer 7-rd. without the compromises necessary to make the flush 8-rd work. A 9-rd extended-type would protrude farther from the grip frame and so need a taller base plate to cover it. These baseplate covers are needed to prevent snagging on extended mags but can complicate things in concealed carry. But the 8-rd extended is a small cover that's not too much of a problem. If someone could develop a mag of that type into a 9-rd without making it longer, using 'clock-spring' or some other design, I probably would buy some if they worked okay.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:52 AM

If the magaine has to fit flush with the frame for carry a 7 rounder will be more reliable. If you need more the magazine body should be extended to allow room for the follower and spring to fit without compressing them into a solid wad of metal. I have always used 8 round McCormick mags but only load them 7+1. If I cannot solve the problem with 8 rounds (and a perfect reload) then I probably should have brought a shotgun.

Last edited by drail; 09-14-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:03 AM

Back in the 90's there was a company the made a 9 round 45ACP magazine. It used a unique flat coiled spring, like a watch spring. It was the same length as a standard 8 round magazine. There were reliability issues, such as the spring frequently breaking, and they never really took off. I haven't seen them advertised in maybe 15 years.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:13 AM

A couple of us here have worked on 9 round .45 magazines.
They are probably the longest that will fit The Box for IDPA competition.

I have a set of 9 round magazines made by cutting off 10 round Metalform magazines to fit The Box and silver soldering the floorplate back on.
The other guy started out with some cut off 10s and a way to curl the edges so a slide-on floorplate/basepad would go back on.
He ended up with 8 round tubes and a follower-spring change that worked in his gun. I THINK he used Metalform Elites with Power Mag internals but am not sure.

Hmm, I wonder if I could use a different follower to get 10 in my 9 round tubes, that would be convenient.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:12 PM

I've had good luck with Colt 8 round flush fit mags. No feed issues. The only problem I have run into is you have to give it a little extra umph when inserting into the pistol if the slide is not locked back. But otherwise, works like a charm.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:46 AM

No I hear what you guys are saying. Unfortunately if everyone said well the GI 1911 is good enough. Then we would not have nice beaver-tail grip safeties. I know this could be done. Id like to see some pics if any of you guys have 9 round 1911 mags. It would be really cool like you were saying to get a 10 rounder to sit flush with modern technology or no bump plate but extended one round out for a duty Firearm. The whiny Glock crowd would no longer be able to talk about magazine capacity which is somewhat a lagitament argument. Also im not a fan of double stack 1911s it seems like you give up alot of the ergonomics of the 1911, if any of you guys got some photos of the clock spring mags and anything your working on or the names of them so i can see some pics. I think i can tig weld something up that might work. Talk to a manufacturer about some custom springs go from their. I have a friend that’s a machinist engineer i could run some of this buy him once i get enough data. Im just a tinkerer and not afraid to take on a project like this.

Thanks fellows if you can help me out with this id be willing to give it a shot , and if you got some other info that would be cool. Also if what yout saying that its possible to get a 10 rounder flush then why not a 11 rounder that sticks out a little extra round acting as bump plate, Now your really getting cloe to double stacks in mag capacity,

Hey guys I edited this post i have some reseash to do on mags... I was looking at some exploded views I was thinking a 10 round mag by colt cut it tig weld it, to where thier is one less wound less, buy a higher quality spring put it get a close to flush fit 9 rounder because of the smaller follower and higher quality springs. Ill read some more and buy a few different mags, to look at. But i really do wana try this so any info would be great.

Last edited by daniel17319; 09-15-2012 at 02:21 AM. Reason: FREEDOM OF SPEECH