1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 07:08 PM

NY cops shouldn't be allowed to have guns...

Tragedy: http://m.yahoo.com/w/legobpengine/ne...US&.lang=en-US

Whatever happened to identifying your target???
Old 09-08-2012, 07:14 PM

Actually man,

I did see the video on that, and I'm not so sure I'd have blamed the cop specifically. Had I been in those shoes I might have as well.

I watched how the guy came barreling out of the shop right into him as he was responding to another guy standing there, saying they'd just been robbed.

I don't like how it played out, but had I been in those shoes I'm not so sure I would have been much different.

Guy was in such a hurry to get out, he did appear to be charging the cop. Do I like how it played out? No... but I also know I'm not so sure I'd have been much different.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:16 PM

There are 35,000 New York City Police Officers. I would not label the entire force as unqualified to carry a firearm.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMyers View Post
There are 35,000 New York City Police Officers. I would not label the entire force as unqualified to carry a firearm.
Doesn't help either that they're running 10-12 lb triggers while the rest of us in the civilian world have 4-6 lb triggers. Its no wonder they can't hit the broad side of a barn.

I keep wondering who's decision that was. Whoever did it, needs to be charged with wreckless endangerment of the civilian populous at large.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Investigators believe the impact of Cuevas running into the officer caused him to fire one round, striking the 20-year-old victim in the left shoulder, police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said at a news conference. Cuevas died later at a hospital.
The tragedy resulted from a Glock "Safe Action" pistol, with finger on the trigger.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:48 PM
Administrator

The victim plowed right into the cop as he was running, and apparently the cop had his gun drawn and his finger was on the trigger. It was a tragic accident, but one that could possibly have been prevented by following Rule Three.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:45 PM

A bad situation for sure but hard to say how it would have played out if it were one of us in the cops shoes.

Pistol Brass For Sale
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=433516
Old 09-08-2012, 08:58 PM

La Grenouille SAD
Old 09-08-2012, 09:15 PM

NY cops shouldn't be allowed to have guns?

I thought this was a pro gun forum

How's about NY cops need better training or screening of their officers etc.

I know that your title is probably an over reaction to the latest thing's happening in NYC but those kinds of comments are what we as gun owners are combating from the left.
Proverbs 29:10 Bloodthirsty men hate a man of integrity and seek to kill the upright.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:41 PM

I'm not trying to make excuses (and I know nothing about this case) but some of this stuff could be averted if the victims acted differently. Look at how many blue-on-blue shootings occur. I have seen enough people get tunnel vision over the years to know it is a dynamic that we have to deal with.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick A View Post
The tragedy resulted from a Glock "Safe Action" pistol, with finger on the trigger.
Startle reflex?
Old 09-08-2012, 09:53 PM

saw this on another forum after the Empire State building shooting.

http://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comment...egarding_12lb/
Old 09-08-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverquick View Post
Actually man,

I did see the video on that, and I'm not so sure I'd have blamed the cop specifically. Had I been in those shoes I might have as well.

I watched how the guy came barreling out of the shop right into him as he was responding to another guy standing there, saying they'd just been robbed.

I don't like how it played out, but had I been in those shoes I'm not so sure I would have been much different.

Guy was in such a hurry to get out, he did appear to be charging the cop. Do I like how it played out? No... but I also know I'm not so sure I'd have been much different.
That does not reflect well on you then........who has the right to kill Innocent citizens? Oh the government enforcers do, that's right.
The system is out of control......cant you see it?
"Compromise, hell! That's what has happened to us all down the line and that's the very cause of our woes. If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?" Helms writing in 1959 on compromise in politics.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russphoto View Post
That does not reflect well on you then........who has the right to kill Innocent citizens? Oh the government enforcers do, that's right.
The system is out of control......cant you see it?
Are you with a straight face telling me... that he turned around said.... "hey I think I'll just shoot this guy for kicks".... because I'm just a jack booted thug who can do anything I want?

Bzzt wrong answer...

I watched that video with my own two eyes my friend took an honest look and put myself in his shoes ...

Did you?

I wonder...

Not gonna work on me...
Old 09-08-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMyers View Post
Some people will address the issue, some will blame everyone of a set group.

Democrats tend to look at one bad shooting and want to take guns from everyone. Its how they think. They want whats best for them, not everyone. Law and rules dont count, only how they feel about set things.

So I will agree with the OP lets take away all the guns from the Police in NY. I am sure that will make things better. Next we can go after gun owners gun's. Soon one of two things will happen, everyone will get along just fine and happy go lucky being unarmed, or armed gangs will pimp out you and and your family.

Sad what happened, but how often do people wreck vehicles? How close are we to banning them? A 65 year old man ran into a group of kids, lets ban 65 year olds from driving, take away their vehicles!

LOL, silly post. I hope it was a joke, but I think the OP is for real.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick A View Post
You're not seriously blaming the weapon, are you?
Old 09-08-2012, 10:29 PM

Sadly, this may lead to NYPD carrying billie clubs instead of guns. Just like across the pond...
Old 09-08-2012, 11:25 PM

I didn't like the position the officer took in relation to the door , kind of just right out there in the open and in the kill zone ..fatal funnel whatever you want to call it. Cover the door ..use cover...distance can be your ally
Old 09-08-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6285108 View Post
I didn't like the position the officer took in relation to the door , kind of just right out there in the open and in the kill zone ..fatal funnel whatever you want to call it. Cover the door ..use cover...distance can be your ally
I'd agree with that, if that actually had been a bad guy, it would have been one dead officer instead.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:08 AM

How about a law that prohibits the police from carrying weapons that are prohibited for citizen use?

Are you a turtle?
Old 09-09-2012, 12:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudo View Post
How about a law that prohibits the police from carrying weapons that are prohibited for citizen use?
how about stop cutting budgets like jason voorhees at spring break and start hiring more officers and paying to get them the training they need?
Old 09-09-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick A
Karl Hungus: You're not seriously blaming the weapon, are you?
I'm blaming the finger on the trigger, my friend.

That's why I underlined FINGER ON THE TRIGGER.

We don't need to take each other to task here.
We're all on the same side, learning lessons from other tragedies.

I was emphasizing the Trigger Finger so we can learn a lesson from it.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk
but one that could possibly have been prevented by following Rule Three.
HUH?!

"3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use." ??
I'm not worried about terrorism, I was married; TWICE!
Old 09-09-2012, 01:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat-inCO View Post
HUH?!

"3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use." ??
Ahem: 3.Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:09 AM

Not that I would ever go back to the big cesspool but if I did I honestly would prefer that the police at least stood a chance against the scum infesting that city.