1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 08-24-2012, 10:40 AM

Cerakoting

Lookin for a lil info on applying Cerakote.

I've done lots of Duracoating, but when it comes to applying Cerakote...how much of it does it take to do one pistol....a govt sized 1911. I was looking at their prices...wow....will the 4oz tester size cover one pistol?

Any man may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile, can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy" ~ Pres. John F. Kennedy
Old 08-26-2012, 12:38 PM

It's very easy to do. I bought a bead blasting kit and air brush at Harbor Freight very inexpensively. Purchased 180 grit aluminum oxide on ebay and cooked the pistol in my kitchen oven. Turned out great. Buy a kit from Brownells and follow the directions. You can also call NIC industries, who gave very helpful advice. You don't want to bead blast with anything heavier than 150 grit or the Cerakote won't fill the small pitts in the finish.
I used pieces of wire attached to gator clips to hold my small parts and to hang them from the oven rack.

The 4 oz bottle will easily cover several 1911s. I bade the mistake of mixing it all up and ended up doing a second gun just not to waste it. I still had a bunch left. I also did two rifles with another 4oz kit and had plenty left over.

A 18:1 ratio gives a nice matte finish. Check with NIC on other ratios. I think 12:1 is flatter and 24:1 is glossier.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
uploadfromtaptalk1346002721745.jpg  
Old 08-29-2012, 08:19 AM

Pistol looks good Chuck.....I think i'm gonna take a plunge into Cerakoting. I have been wanting to do up my RIA in Sniper Gray, think that will be my next project. Thanks for the advice.

Any man may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile, can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy" ~ Pres. John F. Kennedy
Old 08-29-2012, 08:41 AM

Amelon Coatings LLC down in VA did my Kimber TLE/RL II for me. It was about 3 years ago - can't even remember what I paid for it, but it made a NIGHT & DAY difference in the pistol.

It had been rode HARD (10k rounds) - so much so, the finish was rattle-canned on by the original owner. He was a certified PD 1911 armorer though, so he did the bob job on it. For $700, it was HARD to pass up!

I also replaced the grips and added a Wilson ambi-safety to it, but here's the "AFTER" photo (this was the BAKED ON cerakoting, FYI)

Liked the finish so much, I later had an AR cerakoted, too!
"This is also why Christ did not wield the sword... although He sanctions the sword, He did not make use of it, for it serves no purpose in His kingdom, in which there are none but the upright." - Martin Luther, 1523 -
Old 08-29-2012, 09:08 AM

After the Cerakote, do you polish all the critical ignition contact points - sear, hammer notch, trigger track, back trigger bow, disconnector and etc...

Sarge

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...p/CIMG0653.jpg
Old 08-29-2012, 09:18 AM

What do you mean rattle canned?
Old 08-29-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logansar View Post
After the Cerakote, do you polish all the critical ignition contact points - sear, hammer notch, trigger track, back trigger bow, disconnector and etc...

Sarge
I had a springfield cerakoted, and from what I remember, nothing needed to be polished. I might still have a pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN7777777 View Post
What do you mean rattle canned?
It was spray painted.