1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 08-21-2012, 09:01 AM

9mm combat commander slide.

I recently picked up a 9mm combat commander slide. My initial thought is to slowly collect appropriate parts and eventually finish it. However, i am not sure what parts would be appropriate. It has no series designation on the slide, however i have read that colt never designated a S70 combat commander. Is there any way to tell from the slide the frame material? Beavertail style? Any other particulars on other parts? Also, i assume the ejector will be the same for .45 as for 9mm, is there a way to tell from a frames serial number if the frame should have a 9mm ramp?

Any help is appreciated!
Old 08-21-2012, 09:41 AM

If it says "Combat Commander" on the slide then the frame that it came with should have been steel. The ejectors for .45 ACP and 9mm are different.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:09 AM

If marked Combat Commander it SHOULD have been on a steel frame, but Colt is not real careful about such stuff. I have seen Commander Model slides on steel frames and read of Combat Commander slides on aluminum frames.

"Appropriate parts" can be selected by looking at old magazines and catalogs.
You will not likely find a real Colt frame floating around loose, but Caspian will sell you a reasonable facsimile with the appropriate ramp.

Only rather recent Colts will be found with beavertail grip safeties. Older Commanders of either material had their own grip grip safety; originally a rather stubby one, later one like a GM notched out to clear the burr hammer.

Commander ejectors differ from GM ejectors. You can actually use the same ejector on different caliber Commanders as you cannot on a GM.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:33 AM

on the left side:

combat commander/colt/9mm luger caliber and the prancing horse

right side:

colt's combat commander

I read that originally they were on alloy frames and weren't steel until after 1970?
Old 08-21-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel_H View Post
If it says "Combat Commander" on the slide then the frame that it came with should have been steel. The ejectors for .45 ACP and 9mm are different.
It is my understanding that on a gm the ejectors are different, however on commander and officer models all calibers use the same ejector profile.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Banned

I can see a bunch of heartache in your future if you pursue this. Best thing to do is pawn that slide off now on an unsuspecting guy from from the mountains of Mexico residing in Texas. He has special beverages to deal with these kinds of problems.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:05 PM

The Commander introduced in 1950 or thereabouts has an aluminum frame.
It is normally marked "Commander Model."

The Combat Commander came out in 1970 with a steel frame.
It is normally marked "Combat Commander."

As I said, Colt has mixed up parts or used what was on hand so you may find them marked opposite the normal practice.

Also, the steel framed Combat Commander has become the more usual version to the point that even Colt now refers to the original type aluminum gun as the Lightweight Commander so the Internet Generation will know what they are talking about.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
The Commander introduced in 1950 or thereabouts has an aluminum frame.
It is normally marked "Commander Model."

The Combat Commander came out in 1970 with a steel frame.
It is normally marked "Combat Commander."

As I said, Colt has mixed up parts or used what was on hand so you may find them marked opposite the normal practice.

Also, the steel framed Combat Commander has become the more usual version to the point that even Colt now refers to the original type aluminum gun as the Lightweight Commander so the Internet Generation will know what they are talking about.
This is what I needed, thank you.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:45 PM

Stolen? Good luck finding a steel Colt frame to go with the slide that would be period. I walk away from stuff like this every time I see it.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Banned

There are some savvy DIY guys living near certain jurisdictions that come by slides and parts through official channeldom when frames ( da gun fur legar purposes ) has been destroyed. Sadly, there are other guns being turned into mix masters and their owners dispose of the other stuff. Not everyone out there knows the ins and outs of all these treasures like you guys and the bureaucrats with torches do not care.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota1911 View Post
Stolen? Good luck finding a steel Colt frame to go with the slide that would be period. I walk away from stuff like this every time I see it.
I am assuming i need to find a 9mm frame that has serial number prefix of "70BS", and a quick gunbroker search seems to turn up a few overpriced .45 such frames.

I have no idea the history nor the fate of the original frame. I am however pretty confident that the person I acquired the slide from had nothing to do with it.

Last edited by tdifiglio; 08-22-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdifiglio View Post
I am assuming i need to find a 9mm frame that has serial number prefix of "70BS", and a quick gunbroker search seems to turn up a few overpriced .45 such frames.

I have no idea the history nor the fate of the original frame. I am however pretty confident that the person I acquired the slide from had nothing to do with it.
My 9mm Combat Commander has a steel frame and the serial number begins with 70BS. My particular piece was made in 1976.