1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Old 08-08-2012, 10:57 AM

Do I need a camfer tool for .45 ACP?

I am placing an order for certain items and I saw a camfer tool. I will be loading only .45 acp on a Lee Turret Press (on order). I found a LYMAN VLD camfer tool. I had to look up what vld means, but can this camfer tool be used for .45 acp or should I get something else? I also see that there is an inside camfer tool and an outside camfer tool. Do I need both for .45?

Last edited by johnhunter44; 08-08-2012 at 10:59 AM. Reason: added info
Old 08-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Banned

The chamfer tool is needed if you trim brass...

If you intend to trim 45acp brass(not really needed) then you need one, otherwise, its kinda pointless ( like trimming 45acp brass )

Mike.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:02 AM

Not Needed

You don't need to chamfer .45 ACP brass because you don't need to trim .45 ACP brass.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Slightly disagree

I have used my chamfer tool whenever I start with brand new brass. Just as a precaution, and to clean up the case mouth from any mfg. "left-overs", I chamfer the case mouth inside and outside. But never do it again on that brass. Used brass needs no chamfering.

NRA Life Member
Old 08-08-2012, 11:43 AM

if you plan on loading rifle brass in the future and the tool is a good deal then get it. otherwise not needed for straight walled pistol brass.

Bushmaster ORC in 5.56, DPMS Panther Bull 20 in .223, Citadel 1911FS in 45ACP, Rock Island Armory 1911FS in 9mm, M&P FS in 9mm, S&W 22A in 22LR
Old 08-08-2012, 11:50 AM

Location: The People's Republic of Illinois, most corrupt state in the Union.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhunter44 View Post
I am placing an order for certain items and I saw a camfer tool. I will be loading only .45 acp on a Lee Turret Press (on order). I found a LYMAN VLD camfer tool. I had to look up what vld means, but can this camfer tool be used for .45 acp or should I get something else? I also see that there is an inside camfer tool and an outside camfer tool. Do I need both for .45?
You should always have a chamfering tool in the inventory. It isn't necessary for the case mouth because you bell the mouth prior to seating, but if your starting with new brass, those cases can have razor sharp edge left on them from the manufacturing process. A quick twist inside and out with the chamfering tool will break that sharp edge and maybe prevent a painful cut, and certainly won't hurt anything. If you're loading rifle anything, you need one anyway.

Damn! Looks like Rod and Gamma beat me to it!

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice - Barry Goldwater
When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty - Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-08-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhunter44 View Post
As already posted above, you shouldn't need an inside camfer tool for .45 ACP, except if you trim the brass (which you shouldn't need to do) or maybe if you're using new brass.

You shouldn't need an outside camfer tool for .45 ACP, again except if you trim the brass.

Rifle brass is a different story.

For a handy little tool that does both inside and outside, I got one of these:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/789...-to-45-caliber
Old 08-08-2012, 03:07 PM

I find using this puppy on new unfired cases works a lot faster, as the 45 Caliber tool is a little slow working the outside of the case mouth.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/114...ng-tool-50-bmg
Old 08-08-2012, 06:01 PM

i always LIGHTLY use a chamfer tool on the INSIDE of new and range brass. i don't like a large case mouth flare and cleaning up the mouth ensures no shaved bullet lead. ymmv.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:24 PM

Might well find that you want to chamfer new brass - especially with flat base lead bullets - you may decide that bevel based cast bullets chamfer the bullet instead of the case.

Myself I have a variety including VLD and RCBS/Wilson and bench mount hand crank (Forster?) and all the rest. Power can be handy for bulk processing with aging hands too.

In any event common tools most people have will do a fine job to start - frex a pocket knife will chamfer brass cases well enough for a .45 ACP.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:35 PM

While not needed, I do trim my handgun brass prior to the first loading. Tool is not expensive and you will need it if you ever load rifle anyway.