1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > General Rifles and Shotguns

Old 08-10-2012, 09:27 PM

Well, I bought this purely as a range toy, so I am not concerned at all with the little details, it will most certainly hold up against the low demand I will give it, Im happy. My home defense is a mix of 870 and 1911
The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but victory rests with the Lord. -Proverbs 21:31
Old 08-10-2012, 09:30 PM

It would hold up as a duty or defensive rifle as well... It just may need a few small tweaks to assure reliability. These tweaks are a good idea even if it's only purpose is a range toy.
"Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street."
~Paul Howe~
Old 08-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Well, what we have learned from this thread so far is some folks would rather have a heavier buffer in the rifle to slow down the bolt and a stronger extractor spring (I don't think so) to make it "acceptable" and "more reliable". So for 35 dollars, it can be made this way which still puts it less expensive than a few rifles it competes with.

I forgot to mention that the barrel extension has a shelf built in that supports the extractor while in battery which relives stress on the extractor. Another feature not many if any manufacturers include as standard.

Not a disgruntled former Sig employee.

Last edited by custom2; 08-10-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:56 PM

I'm not sure it's that we'd rather have the H buffer and stronger spring, it's the fact that's what mil spec calls for for a reason, and that aids in reliability IF you shoot 5.56 ammo. Companies that ship with carbine buffers and large gas ports do so because their customers are expected to shoot 223 ammo.

There's an article abut that somewhere I'll dig up. I'll post a few links about the buffer and extractor springs in a few.

Here's a couple helpful like that if you read thoroughly will explain the reason these things I mentioned are considered optimal.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....ghlight=buffer

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376
"Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street."
~Paul Howe~

Last edited by jonconsiglio; 08-10-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

I will borrow my bosses front sight jig this weekend and pop off the front sight and measure the gas port. I thought the port would be smaller and now that I know the size it should be, I know my gauge pins will fit.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:07 PM

You know, I was just looking on Lightfighter forum and saw a thread on the M400 patrol carbine. It comes with the 5 coil spring and black insert, presumably due to the fact they'll be running full duty loads.

There's some other positives like the chamber passed the Ned Christiansen chamber guage. I'll post back with more after reading the rest of the thread.
~Paul Howe~
Old 08-10-2012, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Also, after some more research, the barrel diameter at the gas port is .750 so the spec can be anywhere in between .070 on the low side and .086 on the high side.

A barrel with a diameter of .625 should have a diameter of .063 to .078.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Are you sure the article isn't about the 516 piston AR? It's just there isn't a model of m400 that goes by patrol carbine.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:48 PM

Let me check...

A milspec gas port on a 14.5" govt profile barrel is .063 in diameter, which carries over to 16" barrels as well. I'm not sure that there is a tolerance on that. Now, a commercial AR can have a port as large as .08x, but that will be quite a bit of gas in comparison.

I'll double check that, but the only time a milspec rifle should have a port larger than .063 is when it has eroded, and then there's a tolerance, or acceptable amount. Again, I'll double check the armorer's manual as I've been wrong before.

Edit - as for the .063 gas port size, pay attention to posts 6 or 7 and the ones following. 99% of the time, it should gauge at .063 for milspec unless there's a reason for a different size, but the numbers you listed will be considered within spec. Similar to the 14 clicks each direction (or whatever it is) of windage that is considered acceptable for zeroing with a carbine rear sight. So, you're correct, but it should be .063.

I hate to quote AR15.com, but there are (and were) a few subject matter experts there.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.ht...&f=66&t=564962
~Paul Howe~

Last edited by jonconsiglio; 08-10-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:02 PM

As for the thread, you're correct. I saw "m400 patrol carbine" and thought it was referencing the model, but they just meant as a patrol rifle. still, it's odd there's a difference with the components.
~Paul Howe~
Old 08-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
As for the thread, you're correct. I saw "m400 patrol carbine" and thought it was referencing the model, but they just meant as a patrol rifle. still, it's odd there's a difference with the components.
It could be that my bolt drew the short straw that day. Who knows?

Old 08-11-2012, 08:05 AM

In response to the moderator, I agree.

I do not own a SIG M400. I have read several articles about them and the rifle has performed flawlessly and has received positive reviews across the board. I do own a SIG 516. It has never malfunctioned in approximately 600 rounds of firing and has been very accurate. It has several of the same feature as the SIG M400 with the major difference of being a piston AR Vs a direct impingement AR. I will note in one of the articles I read that a SIG representative claims that the SIG 400 direct impingement is slightly more accurate than the piston SIG 516.
There are several models of the M400 now available. http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProdu...fles-m400.aspx.
To the original author, please keep us posted on your experiences with your rifle. Congratulations and best of luck.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom2 View Post
It could be that my bolt drew the short straw that day. Who knows?
I was thinking about this and am curious when your's was manufactured... I wonder if it's something Sig changed on recommendation. As I mentioned before, a Lightfighter member was asking about the Sig m400 as a patrol rifle and someone else posted specs on their m400.

I can certainly say, the chamber being true 5.56 is a big plus.
~Paul Howe~
Old 08-11-2012, 10:49 AM

Mil- spec is a minimum. I require the minimum out of my rifles. I have at least 3 that are above and beyond mil-spec. In all reality the only true mil-spec rifles would be colt, FN and now Remington. Of which you can only buy the colt. I have 3 that wouldn't be considered mil- spec for simple reason of twist rate and gas system length. They are fine rifles. My 6920 would be my only true mil-spec rifle, I guess.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:44 PM

OP,

Check out this high speed video of the M400. Cycles a little quicker than the 516. I'd guess that gas port is close to TDP - perhaps ~0.065-0.068" or so. That H2 buffer would definitely help slow that cyclic speed down a bit and ensure reliable extraction and feeding.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop...LragkC54&gl=US

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?
Old 08-11-2012, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

I will try to get my front sight post off tomorrow and post the gas port size. It all depends if my boss has the front sight block or not. He has many of the AR jigs but when we build rifles, he usually buys complete upper receivers so he may not have one.

We will see tomorrow.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:43 PM

So, what auto carrier would you recommend? Not trying to get in a brand war, I just truly don't know. I'd like to start slowly compiling a list of things I MAY change if I experience any issues after a decent amount of rounds. I appreciate all the info provided by Jon/Custom, as I have always been a pistol guy, Im trying to soak up a lot of AR knowledge.
The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but victory rests with the Lord. -Proverbs 21:31
Old 08-11-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAB45 View Post
So, what auto carrier would you recommend? Not trying to get in a brand war, I just truly don't know. I'd like to start slowly compiling a list of things I MAY change if I experience any issues after a decent amount of rounds. I appreciate all the info provided by Jon/Custom, as I have always been a pistol guy, Im trying to soak up a lot of AR knowledge.
The main thing to look for on the carrier is the staking of the gas key. Colt, BCM, LMT, Daniel Defense, KAC - if you can find one, the one used by Noveske, etc. are all good. Same for the bolt. I'd probably buy a new auto carrier group from one of the ones I listed and just buy the least expensive one, then once that bolt cracks or shears a lug, I'd install the Sig bolt in that carrier.

You will likely never need to replace the carrier, just the bolt. You can sell the semi carrier online and recoup most of the cost of the auto carrier.

Now, before that, I would just buy a heavier buffer as that will make the biggest difference. The auto carrier will just be a small improvement that isn't needed as a heavier buffer would be.

The heavier buffer is the only thing I suggest doing from day one other than checking the staking. The buffer should be an H even with weaker 223 ammunition.
~Paul Howe~
Old 08-12-2012, 08:26 AM

Please keep the thread on topic. I cleaned up a few off topic post.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom2 View Post
I will try to get my front sight post off tomorrow and post the gas port size. It all depends if my boss has the front sight block or not. He has many of the AR jigs but when we build rifles, he usually buys complete upper receivers so he may not have one.

We will see tomorrow.
Looking forward to hearing what you find!

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?
Old 08-12-2012, 01:04 PM

I've never seen a bad thing said about the m400 on m4c or Lightfighter. I've seen questions asked, but never was it put down like Vulcan/Hesse or anything like that.
~Paul Howe~
Old 08-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

I wasn't able to ask about the sight block. I will have to find out tomorrow.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:00 PM

Any recommendations for places to buy H and H2 buffers at a good price? I found a Colt H buffer on Midway, but they want $40 for it. I get the impression that they can be had for less than that. Also, will the H and H2 buffers be OK to upgrade a commercial AR? Thanks.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:07 PM

I just order stuff like that through BCM's site, but I believe PSA has them for good prices as does G&R Tactical.
~Paul Howe~
Old 08-24-2012, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Here is what I have found out about the M400 gas port. It is, in fact, not oversized. The barrel has a true 5.56 chamber and proper gas port dimensions. I was told that the gas port may actually be slightly less than .063. The barrel is also made by a well known manufacturer and is made with the proper 41V50 steel. With this info, I don't believe that running an auto bolt carrier group or heavy buffer would be necessary. The rifles are not over gassed and there is no reason to try to slow down the cyclic rate. And since we won't be shooting the rifle full auto, there is no need for the auto bolt carrier or H buffer also.

Because of the proprietary parts and features built into the rifle, like the extractor support in the extension, the upper tensioner, QD buttons and flared and serrated magwell, the rifle technically isn't true mil spec. But then again, no commercially available AR 15's are, no matter what they tell you. What they can do is try to include specs that meet or exceed government testing. Since the Colt or Sig or BCM wasn't tested by a government tester and is semi auto, it isn't mil spec.

Last edited by custom2; 08-24-2012 at 06:02 PM.