1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Rock Island Armory

Old 08-06-2012, 11:04 PM

mid size range report

had 300 rounds thur it already, but made a few changes since then. Cut down a Gov. lenght 15 lb. recoil spring to 23 coils that matches the recoil spring lenght of this 4" barrel RIA, tweaked the sear spring to get a 4.5 lb. trigger pull, and changed the front and rear sights to higher profile fixed sights with no adjustment made yet on front sight for poi. Sat. only had 50 reloads 185 gr. Hornady hp and a few 230 gr. fmj and 6grs. Unique. All went well but only fired at spent shotgun wads approx. 10yrds out. This was at a privately owned range and No jacketed ammo allowed on their steel targets. New sights seemed close enough to scatter the sg wads but even in the dirt under them would cause 'em to jump. Sunday, I had a 100 ct. 200gr. lswc and 5.8 grs. Unique and shot at a steel knock down plate rack @15 yrds. Looks like I need a bit of windage adjust to the left and maybe a tad high.
Lastly I fired a few rounds at dirt clods on a high dirt berm back stop at 100 yrds. Still hitting about a 1' or 2' to the right and bullet dropped about 2' with the present sight settings. Just having fun with the new Rock. Also happy to report that the ejected cases went about 6' and 3 oclock right. Now going to hit a public range and see what it looks like on paper. Did have to readjust my seating die to accomodate the lead swc bullets but have that figured out now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...tolpics030.jpg

Last edited by banjotx; 08-06-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:44 PM

You are getting there, keep us updated.