1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 01-23-2003, 05:14 PM

Best Mil-Spec 1911? Need help

Not looking to start any brand battles here, I am merely interested in finding a very good quality, near replica M1911 pistol...new of course, something like the Colt or the Springfield. I want a classic, but nothing in the Wilson/Baer price range. Also a reliable classic. Any thoughts on which I should be looking at and personal experiences with a Mil Spec model?
Kel-Tec P32

Last edited by usmcsniper; 01-23-2003 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:09 PM
1911 Aficionado

The older Colt M1991A1's are closest to G.I. With the introduction of the "new rollmark" '91 last year, the demand for the older ones seems at an all-time low. There are still lots of the older ones on distributors' shelves. You should be able to get one in the $550 range new, and a hundred less for minty used.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:34 PM

You anwsered your own question. The Colt and S.A. are very good and they are affordable. Of course the Colt will be a bit more than the S.A. since it says Colt on it, but if you want a close reproduction it will do the trick. There are cheaper guns, but they are just that cheaper. Stick with one of those two guns.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:42 PM

I had a feeling the Colt and the SA were of similar caliber. And my apologies for not clarifying the usage intention. I intend to use this Mil Spec as both a daily carry and weekend shooter. I have an outdoor range at home, (not really, I live in North Idaho, pretty easy to set up a range on the hillside) So I plan to test this gun, in use and abuse. Not for any other reason than I simply love the Mil Spec variety, and would enjoy it just like I enjoyed my issue sidearm in the Marine Corps.

The SA Ultra Compact I have is great, however not Mil-Spec...I miss the good ole Govt. look and feel.
Kel-Tec P32
Old 01-23-2003, 09:10 PM

The best, most authentic, mil spec out there is the new one made by Colt, which is the pre-series 70, identical in all respects to the GI issue .45. It's called simply the 1911-A1. You can see it at their web page. The one made by springfield has the slanted slide serations, which is inauthentic in appearance. The Colt has every detail right.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:32 PM

COLT, COLT AND COLT

My experiences with Colt 1911s have been very positive. I have a STS 1991 that has been nearly flawless in over a thousand rounds with the exception of 1 round that shot with a CMC Power 10. And Colt's dimple throating fully supports the case. Stick with quality mags (Wilson 47Ds and CMC Power Mags (8 rounders)) and you should have no problems.
1911/A1, FN/BHP, S&W, Colt, Kimber, Sig/Sauer, Glock/Lone Wolf Dist, SAA,
Try different guns out and see which one works and feels best for YOU.

Last edited by Dwolf00; 01-25-2003 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-25-2003, 11:09 AM

sniper - I have a Mil Spec Springfield that I bought new for less than $400.00 about seven years ago. Except for a gritty trigger, it is a fine, reliable weapon. It came from the factory with a lowered ejection port, extended ejector, feed ramp/barrel throated/polished. It does not look exactly like the GI version, but I think it has what a good 1911 needs, and nothing that it dosen't. I don't know much about the new GI Colts, but you could do a lot worse than the Springfield. I haven't done anything to mine, except shoot it. I think they go for around $500 to $550 these days.
Old 01-25-2003, 01:09 PM

Also Kahr Arms is now making one. From what I've read, however, it might require some minor work after purchase to make it completely reliable. The problem reported was that the magazine dropped out every time it was fired, but the tester fixed it by simply replacing the mag release with a spare he had lying around. Problem solved, and the thing never missed a step after that. Looks pretty authentic, except for the slide serrations, which are slanted instead of straight up and down as they should be. I think they go for about $500. The quality of the machining and steel is said to be very good since Kahr bought Auto Ordnance.
Old 01-25-2003, 01:15 PM

I agree that the SA mil-spec is a great value, but that a trigger job is advisable.
Old 01-25-2003, 02:28 PM

GI

I got a great deal on a used 1991-A1 that everyone was ignoring because it had old rollmarks. I picked up WWII parts: grips, trigger, hammer, thumb safety, slide stop, at gun shows. I removed the series 80 parts but really didn't see any difference in operation so I put them back in. Now, except for the roll mark, I have a very GI looking gun for under $400