1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > Legal & Political News

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 07:36 PM

Would you favor an assault rifle ban.

http://www.politico.com/

Page down a little the poll is on the right side of the page.

The yes vote is winning. We need to blow up this poll.

Please move if this is the incorrect forum.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:48 PM

I didn't find a poll.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Administrator

It's closer to the bottom of the page, far right side. I put in my vote, but the sheep are still winning.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:53 PM

wow
Old 07-23-2012, 07:54 PM

I voted NO. Thanks for posting that poll.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:57 PM

Might be a good idea to post this link on AR related forums and see what happens to their results. Bet that number would flip with a quickness.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:59 PM

No

"Those who live by the sword...
Are generally shot by those who do not..."
Old 07-23-2012, 08:23 PM

Voted NO (obviously)!

Thanks for sharing the link.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:24 PM

Politico is not just left wing, it is far left wing, and devoted to trashing all things conservative and Republican. If 40% of their respondents want to keep assault weapons, the "wrong" people are learning of this poll and voting.

An assault weapon ban is a solution in search of a problem, like so many other political (and Politico) issues.

The fact is, so-called assault weapons, the AR-15 in particular, are very popular. The FBI doesn't keep statistics, but everyone I know has one or wants one. I would not be surprised if 20% of new gun sales are assault rifles of some sort.

They are fun to shoot, and both rifles and ammunition are relatively inexpensive (cheaper than .38 special, comparable to .45 ACP). They are popular because the AR-15 is the weapon carried by those people who go in harms way to protect the American way of life. There are those who feel they will be needed if social order breaks down again, as it did in in the aftermath of Katrina, and before that in the riots inspired by Rodney King's beating. Recall that those riots stopped at the sidewalk bordering "Korean Town" in LA, where shop owners stationed themselves on rooftops with rifles. Compare that to the Watts Riots a decade earlier, which saw the same businesses looted and burned.

Assault weapons account for only 2% of all gun crimes and 1% of violent crimes. In absolute terms, the incidence used in homicides (~130/year) is a tiny fraction of one percent of the 5 million or more "assault" rifles in private hands. That estimate may be very low, considering that 16.5 million firearms were sold in 2011, up from 14.3 million in the previous year.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:31 PM

Do you mean would I favor a ban on semi-automatic military style weapons? Not only no, but uh-uh. Not only is it an ASSAULT on my Second Amendment rights, it's also pretty forkin' stupid. Not to mention it is punishing millions of law abiding citizens for the actions of a few dumb-asses. And if that's not enough, it infringes on MY PERSONAL RIGHT to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Rosie O'Donnel is fat, so Dave Smith can't have any french fries. Brittany Spears drives drunk, so Dave Smith can't have a glass of wine with his dinner. Jason Alexander thinks "assault weapons" are bad, so Dave Smith shouldn't be allowed to have one. Never mind Dave Smith is fit, rarely drinks, has never even had a speeding ticket, and just likes the look of his AR-15, which he only shoots on holiday weekends at his family property. Where does it end? Bad news, bears... As long as people take it upon themselves to save YOU from YOURSELF(whether you need them to or not), they will never stop trying. When will these self-appointed guardians of all that is sacred learn that you can't legislate morality? You don't need guns, or knives, or bombs to kill. Bare hands and a pissy attitude is all it takes. People have been killing each other forever, and it's the only thing some are good at. All the feel-good crap in Washington, California, Massachusetts put together will not change the fact that humans are still animals, and predatory animals at that. For all our great accomplishments, going to the moon, wiping out smallpox, etc, we're still only about 3000 yrs out of the stone age. The first recorded murder was committed with a rock, btw. No law is going to trump Mother Nature, survival of the fittest.

Last edited by justjed; 07-23-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:34 PM

Found it. Voted "No".
Old 07-23-2012, 08:38 PM

43% to 53%...we're still losing...
Old 07-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Administrator

BTW it appears to be your basic low-tech poll that allows you to "spam" the voting with multiple clicks. As soon as their anti-gun readership catches on they'll start padding the votes for sure.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:39 PM

Voted "NO"
Old 07-23-2012, 08:44 PM

Voted no, but the yes is winning 53/43. I wonder why some people can't think on their own. So a sociopath goes nuts and guns are the evil party ... go figure!
Old 07-23-2012, 08:46 PM

I'd like them to poll at least 25% of the people voting and have them define "assault rifle".
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-23-2012, 08:47 PM

It's a political website poll. Not being left-wing, liberal, progressive, or whatever they like to call themselves these days, I'll probably never go back to it. In my inestimably humble opinion, it's probably about as reputable as a Thai cat-house, and at least penicillin will cure most anything you pick up at one of those.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
BTW it appears to be your basic low-tech poll that allows you to "spam" the voting with multiple clicks. As soon as their anti-gun readership catches on they'll start padding the votes for sure.
Which makes one wonder what the purpose is for any of us to go there and vote in a poll that means nothing because it is not being tabulated properly.

The only vote I need to cast is in November.

Fin
Old 07-23-2012, 08:51 PM

44-52, gaining ground. Wonder if the vote wasn't already padded to begin with.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I clicked until the count was over a 100 more. I saw it go to 44%. Someone else take over, I don't have an "assault keyboard" so my fingers getting tired.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-23-2012, 08:55 PM

Let them have their little poll.

I wouldn't go there to let them know my stance on any subject.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRJim View Post
I clicked until the count was over a 100 more. I saw it go to 44%. Someone else take over, I don't have an "assault keyboard" so my fingers getting tired.
What's the point? So now we can prove that we can be liars like the anti-gun types too? This poll is useless and so is the effort to vote even once in a disingenuous poll.

Fin
Old 07-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Banned

I am a conservative and I support a ban on all assault weapons. ARs and AKs belong in the hands of reasonable citizens and when there availability is for all then it empowers wack-o's to do what this guy did.

I know my opinion is against what everyone here wants to hear and or believe in but just like the Saiga 12, what do you need an AR, AK or other assault weapon for? It is for your belief that it gives you the power to mow down 10s,20s and even 100s of people at one time. The guns should be illegal to own without special permits and qualifications.

that is my belief.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:03 PM

James: If I bothered telling you why I'd want one, would you read it and soak it in, or ignore it the same as everyone else?

And what exactly would those special permits and qualifications be?
Old 07-23-2012, 09:04 PM

Timothy McVeigh killed a buttload more people with a truck bomb. 9-11 was perpetrated with box-knives and airliners. They didn't outlaw trucks or planes. If people want to kill, they're going to, and you can't stop them. I'd actually rather they use guns than bombs, which are MUCH more indiscriminate, and if you don't believe that, look at the headlines from Iraq or Afghanistan last week.
Closed Thread