1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Parts and Accessories Bin

Old 07-23-2012, 02:28 PM

Hogue Mainspring Housing

I have a Colt Defender as my EDC, just like everyone else I would like to change out the plastic mainspring housing. I am looking for something aluminum and checkerd / chain link. Since it's my every day I don't want something sharp that is going to be poking me. I found this http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?...oducts_id=6026 and it looks to be a good fit.

Does anyone here have any experience with Hogue mainspring housings, or a different manufacturer that might fit the bill. Any input would be helpful.

Thanks, Christopher Peplow
Old 07-23-2012, 03:16 PM

Fusion makes one for under 30 bucks, Mine seems OK and its Aluminum and chain linked for officers model

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/servle...-Silver/Detail
-Robert

Last edited by rofi; 07-23-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:49 PM

As well as EGW who has an excellent rep with members and builders; http://www.egwguns.com/main-spring-h...n-spring-caps/
"Silence is Golden, Duct Tape is Silver"
Old 07-25-2012, 03:39 AM

Well, the EGW one is steel.......

As to the Hogue, I have one on my LWOACP. The checkering is diagonal, good traction without being too sharp. The housing fits the frame well with one exception.... The top edge could stand to be a bit taller. Functions well, traps the grip safety tangs fine, but there's a noticable gap between the housing and the grip safety. The other thing you might want to do is to run a polishing mop down the mainspring channel (I haven't yet, it doesn't affect function, but you can feel the mainspring cap riding over the coating....)

Dan
Old 07-28-2012, 01:33 AM

Thanks for the input. I went with the fusion alloy chain-link. I'll let you know what I think when I get it.