1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Springfield Armory

Old 07-22-2012, 01:31 PM

Springfield RO 1911?

Hell all
I have not purchased a 1911 as of yet and the Range Officer is calling my name . The price of this pistol is right considering I'm on a budget.
what is your take on this particular model ? Pros/cons . I've been looking at the Taurus PT1911 but I really want a Springfield.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:53 PM

There are many threads on the RO if you do a search. Do yourself and favor and pass on the Taurus. My first 1911 was a Taurus PT and I hated every second of it.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:54 PM

I worked a Cowboy 4H fund raiser last night and they raffled one off, Its looked to be a solid pistol.
Looks like a solid 1911, I'm really enjoying my 2 SA 1911.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:41 PM

I have a RO and I love it, scary accurate and all around solid pistol not to mention you get awesome customer service with Springfield whether for a fix or to get custom work done.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:17 PM

I am very impressed with mine. Slide/Frame fit when detail stripped is so tight you cannot hear any movement trying to rattle it, you can feel slight vert play. Forged frame and slide. Good gun to build off of, full of features if you don't want to ditch parts. I am upgrading the ignition system in mine to tool steel, not that it needs it, and throwing a magwell on it. The bushing feels like it was lapped into the slide, the fit to the barrel is not super tight, but way tighter than any factory pistol I have held before. I have no plans to replace the barrel or bushing at this point even though I have the tools and ability. Don't look at the Tarus again IMHO.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:35 PM

I have a good friend that loves his Taurus guns. However, he also likes Taurus customer service because he has had to send every one of them back (when new) to have problems corrected on the new guns.

Another friend was at the range this morning shooting his Taurus 1911. Most every time he shoots it, he finds something else needed to make it "right" for him. I'm not talking about new grips, etc., but rather basic stuff to get it to shoot right. He has multi 1911's. The Taurus in not his "pick of the litter."

I sent a new Ruger revolver back for repairs about three years ago and have since refused to buy any gun without being able to carefully inspect it first. By the way, I have several Ruger revolvers and love every one of them. Any company can produce a "lemon."

I declined three S&W revolvers (each ordered by my favorite LGS owner, just for me) due to minor problems including: no rifling's in one side of the barrel, bc gap of .012", sights that would not adjust, barrel/cylinder non-alignment, mis-timing, etc. etc. etc. (by the way, I love S&W revolvers). My LGS owner agreed with me on declining each of those new revolvers - he would have declined them too.

Back to your question about Taurus vs Springfield Range Officer: IMHO, get the RO!!!! I only have two of them and "box-stock," they are the best shooting handguns I've ever owned.

JMHO - YRMV
Old 07-22-2012, 05:36 PM

I'm pretty sure I can take a bit longer and save the extra 150/200 ish bucks and get the RO
Old 07-22-2012, 06:15 PM

I'm not in position to knock the Taurus, but the entire Springfield line are fine pistols.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:14 PM

I've been planning on picking up a RO for a while now.
But the local shops want about $200 to much for them (if/when they can get them)
I just ordered a Loaded Target for about the same price on GunBroker.com
Old 07-22-2012, 07:43 PM

I have a Trophy Match that I bought long before the Range Officer came out. If it were available at the time when I was looking for a nice target pistol, I would have probably bought the Range Officer. They are very nice for the money.

Jay
Old 07-22-2012, 08:28 PM

Does 759 sound about right for a new RO? That's what my LGS sells em for .
Old 07-22-2012, 09:16 PM

Here's a pic of the 1911s I've collected in the past year.

The SA Range Officer shoots as well as any in the group. If you weigh the price against all of the features that come standard on the RO, it is probably the best "value" in the group.

You'll never regret your decision to start with a Range Officer!

That $759 sounds about right. The best I've seen here in Western PA is $749.

Last edited by Melter942; 07-22-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:27 PM

The RO is an excellent 1911. Get it and you will be well pleased. $759 is a fair price. I paid $850 for mine w/ a Galco holster and a box of ammo. The accuracy of the gun is absolutely ridiculous. I have all stock parts on mine, but I want to switch out the sights for carry. There's nothing wrong with the adjustable sights, I just want a smoother profile. Trigger, BTW, was out-of-the-box as good as my friend's loaded that had had a trigger-job. Very crisp.
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams
Old 07-22-2012, 09:43 PM

I have both the Taurus and RO. I like the RO a little more, but both are fine guns.
Attached Thumbnails
SpringfieldRangeOfficer.jpg   Taurus1911.45.jpg  
Old 07-25-2012, 02:31 AM

$ of Springer R.O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.M.S View Post
Does 759 sound about right for a new RO? That's what my LGS sells em for .
Yes