1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Taurus

Old 07-10-2012, 10:02 PM

Is Taurus 1911 not a 1911?

I contacted a grip manufacturer about after market grips for my Taurus 1911. They wrote that they do not make grips for the Taurus as it is not really a 1911 but just looks like one. I've owned a number of 1911's (Colt, Smith & Wesson, Kimber, Tisas) and they all "look" like 1911's and their schematics all look pretty much look the same. I understand that their grips may not fit but am I missing something?
Old 07-10-2012, 10:31 PM

Taurus grip is just a little wider but any 1911 grip will work on them. I have a Taurus PT1911SS, I have put in a new hammer, new trigger (short Pad) New GI recoil guide rod and end cap, New thick flange bushing ( From Fusion) and new grips from Rosco. I also have a grip that I really liked on order. The only thing made for the Taurus was the Rosco grips. All other parts are 1911 standard parts. So I would be insulted if someone told me my 1911 Taurus was not a 1911. I would not want their grips anyway.
The grips I now have on order have the ambi safety cut and are for a full size government model 1911.

Last edited by jstanfield103; 07-11-2012 at 01:52 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:50 PM

I put a cheap POS set of grips on mine and they fit, and then ended up with a set of hogue wrap-around and it fit fine. My hogue's came off of a 38 super colt. I did, however have to releive the left and right side for my stock ambi saftey lever. more on the left though
Old 07-11-2012, 05:48 AM

I have a set of VZ slim line grips that were on my Springfield on my PT1911 and they fit great. I'd look for another grip maker, Have you looked at VZ grips? vzgrips.com
Old 07-11-2012, 08:01 AM

If you do want grips made just for the Taurus. Raasco is the place to get them.

http://raascogrips.com/
Old 07-14-2012, 03:18 PM

I have to also note that if you have a grip manu tell you that a Taurus PT1911 isn't a 1911 I would avoid them at all cost. I have generic aftermarket grips on mine and they dropped right on. I did have to grind out a place for the ambi safety but that was to be expected. They are called 1911's for a reason, not because they are a semi auto handgun that fires a .45ACP and not because they have a Colt, Rand, etc placqard on them. It's because they are designed off of the original JMB design.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:50 PM

I had to replace the grip screws and bushings on mine because the screws have a bigger head than a colt, but they are true 1911s
Old 07-14-2012, 05:03 PM

You can check with 'sarges grips' and see what he has. He is a forum member and does great work from what I've seen and read.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:26 PM

that's the difference.

Here's mine wearing the taurus specific Raascos:

And here it is with the VZ's I put on recently:

Not very noticeable, is it? The gap is only there if you know what to look for, and the grips certainly don't feel any different for it. The only consideration is making sure the grips are releived in the back for an ambi safety with the extra little foot on it (which isn't unique to Taurus).

Colt 45: The Single Action Army, the M1911, and a liquor
Quote:
Originally Posted by treesloth View Post
Either way, if someone needs to get/be wasted, there's a Colt 45 for the job!
Old 07-15-2012, 02:00 PM

Most of the major quality grip manufacturers make grips for the PT1911 and completely consider it a 1911. Just make sure to tell them that you need the grips Taurus cut when you order them as there are some subtle differences that some maufacturers make to give their customers a better fit. Most of these differences lie in the recesses that need to be accounted for on the right side grip panel which is a bit different for a PT1911 than some of your other pistols even if they are AMBI cut. I can honestly tell you that VZ grips will give you a great fit with plenty of options on colors, textures, etc. They also fully back their products. You can also take a look at Larry Davidson grips if you're looking for Micarta or G10. If you're seeking wood grips there are GREAT guys here on the forums that would be happy to oblige you with some of the most amazing panels you'll ever see for any pistol new or old. You can check out some of their work in the WTS/WTT forum and also check out some pics of some of their work in the Gripmakers thread in the Parts and Accessories Bin forum. If you're seeking the rubber/plastic route that's a bit higher end than the panels that come on a PT1911 take a look at Hogue or Pachmyr. Either of these should fit just fine again accounting for the AMBI safety on the right side of the pistol with maybe just a touch of your own fitting to get a better fit. Good luck and get ready, there are literally MILLIONS of different grip options out there these days for ANY budget high or low.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:33 PM

I've got Hogue palm swell grips on mine and really like them. They did require slight modification for the ambi safety.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:49 AM

The first modification I did to my Taurus was install a set of Hogue grips on my new PT1911. They fit perfectly including the Ambi safety. And the look GREAT!
Old 07-17-2012, 01:00 PM

I did not know for years that, according to the "experts", the "standard" 1911 grips I had been using were not supposed to fit on my PT 1911. Go figure.

Having said that, RAASCO makes grips that are sized specifically to fix the Taurus.
RAASCO makes a great product and the owner is a true gentleman.

My Taurus currently wears a set of nice stag grips made by SARGE.
SARGE has a Taurus in his collection, so he can make you a spectacular set of whatever you want that will fit your Taurus like a glove. SARGE has a major case of CAN DO attitude and you will never be disappointed in your dealings with him - ever.

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O

Last edited by Burgs; 07-17-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:24 AM

Yes, a Taurus PT1911 is a 1911. Some of the highest-end 1911s also have 'wider' flats on the grip frame. here's mine with some nice cocobolo grips. One thing is true - Taurus uses grip screws with a larger head than normal grips can accomodate. So when you change the grips, you need to pick up a set of grip screws too. I used the hex-head.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:13 PM

I use a set of full checkered walnut I had laying around. I made the ambi cut tight and opened up the grips where the screws go no problemo shoots just fine. I like to fit my ambi cuts myself if made tight they will never walk out the design depends on tension where snapped together and retention from the left grip panel I make the cut a little slight for a snug fit with the grip. And yes I have an early pt 1911 with the so called bad safeties mine has not snapped yet been maybe 6 years since I bought it and thousands of rounds and a few recoil springs later. A problem with the design is if the tension on the snap fit on the split shaft is weak it can walk out and snap off I like the design that catches a pin on the other side like the RIA TAC I had. I do consider the PT1911 a clone of a browning 1911 pattern pistola.

Last edited by 2ndsight; 07-18-2012 at 06:17 PM. Reason: I spell funny lol.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:23 PM
Banned

It never ceases to amaze me what comes out of the mouths of "experts."
The Taurus pt 1911 is certainly a 1911. Are there some dimensional differences between brand x and brand y? Sure there are. I have bought two pair of pants from the same maker in the same style and size and had them fit differently. A looks like a 1911 but is really not. Garbage! I guess that the grip maker you contacted has had too many returns and they want to blame the gun. BLNT!