1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Ammo Can

Old 07-09-2012, 07:01 PM

The most accurate .45 acp for target shooting.

I just purchased 1911 Kimber Gold Match II .45 and would like to know which amo is the most accurate for Bullseye shooting competition. I was competing in Olympic style in .22 cal and this is my first time using .45 acp. I would appreciate any advise from target shooters.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:34 PM

Look up asym precision. Stan makes very high quality stuff. Also federal gold medal match.

wilson combat tactical L.E., Browning hi power, Gemini customs GP100, Springfield XDS, mossberg 500
Old 07-09-2012, 07:50 PM

asym precision

This ammo shoots where you want it.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:19 PM

Ever consider reloading?
Old 07-09-2012, 08:44 PM

Yes, I'm considering reloading too. As I mentioned I've only used .22 and always lead bullets. I was wondering when it comes to .45 where does lead bullet vs FMJ stand when it's reloaded? Is there a disadvantage using lead bullets for target shooting?
Old 07-09-2012, 09:14 PM

Some of the most accurate loads are lead. The 200 grain LSWC H&G #68 is considered by a lot of bullseye shooters to be "THE" go to boolit.

There is some difference when it comes to shooting them. For instance lead bullets will smoke a little more because of the lube that is used. You can run into some leading issues if you are not loading properly. Most of these are easy fixes and you will learn quickly if you observe how your dies work and tailor your loads.

What is really nice about reloading, especially if you are shooting bullseye... You get to shoot a ton. I mean a lot more, I currently load a 200 grain LSWC that duplicates Wilson's load for under $6 per 50, yes that's $12 per 100 rounds.

If you are a responsible adult and can read and take direction in a serious manner reloading is quite easy. You will recoup your equipment costs relatively fast, considering the more you shoot the faster you pay for your "start up costs".

Take a stroll over to the reloading section, do some reading and use the search function. Almost every question you have about reloading as a beginner is answered there.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:55 PM

Where can I purchase H&G #68 to stay in that $12 per 100 rounds range?
I would greatly appreciate if you could share what components do you use to load these rounds for target shooting.
Thanks
Old 07-10-2012, 07:22 PM

Haven't loaded these yet, but I did get my order in a few days ago. I'm sure there are others, but try these:

http://www.pennbullets.com/45/45-caliber.html

You'll be looking for the 200gr SWCBB.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danwest View Post
I would greatly appreciate if you could share what components do you use to load these rounds for target shooting.
Thanks
Missouri bullet($171/2000 shipped)
http://missouribullet.com/

Even cheaper is the 12 BHN stuff from Mastercast of Illinois ($125/2000 shipped)>>> these will get you in at under $10/100>>>>that's under $100 for 1000 loaded rounds!
http://www.mastercastbullets.com/productpricelist.html

$20 wolf large pistol primers
$22 per LB of hp-38----gets even cheaper when you buy in bulk
brass is free, all above numbers include shipping

Here is a great calculator to see what your loads cost you
http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

The last time I calculated everything, these were my numbers
.45 ACP~Missouri bullet 230gr LRN/5.0gr HP-38-$6.20/50, 123.91/1000
.45 ACP~ Missouri bullet 200gr LSWC/5.2gr HP-38-$5.91/50, 118.23/1000
9mm~Missouri bullet 115gr LRN/4.4gr HP-38-$4.82/50, $96.39/1000
.357 magnum~ Missouri bullet 158 LSWC/10.3gr Bluedot under $6.50/50
9mm Makarov~ missouri bullet 93gr LRN/3.2gr HP-38, under $4.50/50

I could keep going and going with pistol. Then comes match style rifle rounds for about $0.40 per round

Last edited by UrbanSI; 07-10-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:21 PM

..Reason for reloading 45ACP match ammunition..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danwest View Post
Thanks
Hi Danwest, reloading for match suitable ammunition has ABSOLUTELY nothing

to do with cost savings. Reloading 45 acp for match shooting is all about loading

ammunition that is accurate and reliable in your particular pistol. 45 ACP

ammunition is actually very easy to fabricate. Another cast bullet source is

http://www.dardascastbullets.com/

I use Dardas bullets for my 25 and 50 yard loads; using his H&G #130 and #68

bullets. Best of luck;

Tony
Old 07-11-2012, 02:39 PM

Danwest,
You can order H & G 68 200 gr lswc bullets from the bulletworks in texas if you like.
2k for 174.00 shipped in Texas, which incules tax, maybe less out of state. I load 4.3 grs of Clays to oal of 1.245-1.250 for a 5" 1911 .45ACP.
Good Luck,
Mike
Old 07-11-2012, 02:48 PM

I just picked up some Dardas H&G #130 bullets, along with the #68, and put togehter about 75 of the #130s last night in three diferent powder charges. Going to thy them this weekend in my Clark. I have plenty of the 200gr #68 from other casters to use before I get into the Dardas, but they look to be very high quality. Dardas' prices are good and shipping was very fast.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:50 PM

I cast my own. A box of 230RN costs me about 3.41 in materials according to the calculator linked to above. You can hardly find 22 ammo for that. And that's buying the powder a pound at a time rather than in bulk.

For bullseye I'd probably use a 200 SWC, which would bring the price per box down even farther.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:08 PM

ok

Last edited by Danwest; 07-11-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:09 PM

I took the advice and purchased some gold medal match, store did not have any asym precision amo for me to try. I've attached the target, 8 shots at 50 ft no adjustments were made to sites. group is around 1" shooting hand held my gold match Kimber. I did not expect that from 45acp. I thought I could only do that from 22 cal. Now if I could get same kind of performance from lead bullets from my reloads that would be really nice. Someone who shoots IPDA told me that lead bullets will damage my barrel since it causes leading. I don't know how would you avoid that.

Last edited by Danwest; 07-11-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:19 PM

Lead is softer then any plated or FMJ bullet, the best way to avoid leading is to load them properly(tricky for first time reloaders sometimes). There are more knowledgeable people that would disagree with that statement made by another shooter then you can imagine.

I clean the bore on my pistols, all which shoot lead, at around 500 rounds each. Leading comes out very easily with the proper methods. Like I said its minimal even after 500 rounds.

There is the constant rumor that shooting lead in a Glock will cause a kaBOOM.
To that I say, not in my case. I shoot lead in multiple polygonal rifled barrels with zero issues.

You can even download lead bullets with gas checks to be fired out of high powered rifles.

Tell your friend next time to do his homework before making such a statement, its pure ignorance.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:29 PM

I'll second that. All I shoot is lead (except in my ball gun) and I don't have any leading problems. I cast my own bullets from range lead for my bullseye guns. I shoot a 185 grain over 3.8 grains of Bullseye for my 25 yard load and a 200 grain LSWC over 4.2 grains of Bullseye for my 50 yard load. Absolutely no leading at all.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:59 PM

I was doing some research on this forum and as I see powder load amount is very critical to avoid leading. ChuckS1 I appreciate you giving me powder load amounts. What brand bullets do you use with that load?
Thanks UrbanSI for recommending to reload with lead bullets.

Last edited by Danwest; 07-11-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:27 AM

Even if you do get a little leading in the barrel, it's easy enough to remove it. And the barrel isn't damaged. Mark
Old 07-14-2012, 06:33 PM

I love factory amo but I decided to get a reloading press. I have now Lyman T Mag Expert Kit "Deluxe" with Lyman 3-Die set for .45 acp. According to some Lyman 3-Die set is the best option when reloading lead bullets since it has two stage expander which expands and flares case mouth so it does not shave the lead bullet during seating which reduces leading in the barrel. This is just what I could learn from others. I would appreciate any other suggestions regarding press or dies.

P.S. Perhaps I need to start a new thread but I wanted to hear from all of you who helped me to decide to reload with lead bullets.

Last edited by Danwest; 07-14-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

I'd go with ASYM, personally.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:58 PM

I just didn't have chance to use their bullets, but because I purchased reloader it doesn't mean that I'm not going use ASYM product. I've been reading forum posts and some say that lead reloads can do 1" groups at 25 yards if they are done right way and I'm really curious to see if it is really achievable. I love shooting sport and I understand some may not have time or the desire to reload, but i am en engineer and it is a very interesting process for me.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaKilo View Post
I'd go with ASYM, personally.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a box or 2 and see if I could duplicate the load. I see zero reason as a reloader to buy anymore then necessary to duplicate the load however.

One of the great things about reloading is that you can tailor each load to your particular firearm for optimum accuracy. When you buy off the shelf ammunition it is made to work in all firearms. When you reload its meant for your gun.

Honestly you are not taking advantage of much with match factory ammunition other then a starting point/duplication and if you really want to test the full accuracy potential it would obviously need to be put on a ransom rest. Your loads .vs. Load X. Then again load development is half the fun as a reloader.

I currently load more accurate ammo for my .308 then any load I tested from factory loads available. While my loading procedure is far from "match grade" it still out shoots the 10 different loads I tried before loading for it.

Last edited by UrbanSI; 07-15-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSI View Post
Some of the most accurate loads are lead. The 200 grain LSWC H&G #68 is considered by a lot of bullseye shooters to be "THE" go to boolit.

There is some difference when it comes to shooting them. For instance lead bullets will smoke a little more because of the lube that is used. You can run into some leading issues if you are not loading properly. Most of these are easy fixes and you will learn quickly if you observe how your dies work and tailor your loads.

What is really nice about reloading, especially if you are shooting bullseye... You get to shoot a ton. I mean a lot more, I currently load a 200 grain LSWC that duplicates Wilson's load for under $6 per 50, yes that's $12 per 100 rounds.

If you are a responsible adult and can read and take direction in a serious manner reloading is quite easy. You will recoup your equipment costs relatively fast, considering the more you shoot the faster you pay for your "start up costs".

Take a stroll over to the reloading section, do some reading and use the search function. Almost every question you have about reloading as a beginner is answered there.
what is wilson's load ?
Old 07-15-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebs View Post
what is wilson's load ?
I don't know Wilson's load, I should have been more clear in that. I can duplicate its accuracy though.

If I had to guess its match grade components with a powder not available to the public (probably a VV type mix). Match brass/bullets and a high quality primer.

I have a Les Baer with a factory 1.5" guarantee @ 25 yards. I can tell you that some of the loads developed for this gun will match if not exceed any factory ammo made. I actually bought this gun from my Uncle that did extensive testing with this gun off a ransom rest. If I remember correctly he developed about 20 different loads (over a year of testing at his personal range) about 4-5 of those loads will do sub 1.5" @25 yards. When I purchased this gun he gave me a copy of all his load data. Most of these loads I cannot truly duplicate as he had a vast assortment of dies and equipment that I don't have.

Last edited by UrbanSI; 07-15-2012 at 10:27 PM.