1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Sig Sauer

Old 07-08-2012, 06:54 PM

HELP: Possible slide issue?

Hey guys, very new here and to guns in general. I want some advice before I call up sig and possibly send my 1911 back to them.

I've only put about 200rds through my 1911 nitron extreme .45 with zero problems until yesterday. I'm using the factory 2 mags that came with the pistol and yesterday I only put about 16rds through the pistol then the problems occured. I had a fully loaded mag with 8 rds in it, fired off 1 round and the slide stayed completely back like it does with the mag is empty. Felt like there was a bind and very hard to move the slide forward. I tried it one more time and same thing.

Now it was very hard to get the slide all the way back to the forward position. I litterly had to lightly tap the rear of the slide with a rubber mallet. I then took it all apart and didn't notice anything. Cleaned it again and oiled it up nice and it seems theres still alot of friction racking the slide back and forth. Also without a mag in the pistol, I can pull the slide all the way back and it will stay locked back. Is that normal? I pretty much a noob, but I haven't had one single problems with 200rds until yesterday, please help!
Old 07-08-2012, 08:21 PM

not normal at all, but wait for more replies from others they might no more bout this issue
Old 07-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Are there any unusual wear marks on the slide and frame rails?
Old 07-09-2012, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom2 View Post
Are there any unusual wear marks on the slide and frame rails?
Not that I could see, then again I'm not an expert either. I have a friend stopping by today or tomorrow who is more familar with handguns to take a look.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:56 PM

Check your ejector. I had a Colt that the ejector staking came loose and the slide bound up. It was an easy fix and Sig will take care of it IF this is the problem.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:07 AM

When you remove the mag and the slide stays back that is not normal btw.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfHunter View Post
When you remove the mag and the slide stays back that is not normal btw.
Yeah it still does it. Had a buddy stop by yesterday. We had it all apart and then we were racking the slide on the frame and once it gets towards the rear site there seems to be alot binding or friction. In other words it's hard to move. My friend is wondering if something is warped. The pistol shouldn't have gotten too hot from the way I've been using it. He suggested I call sig, which will happen tomorrow morning I suppose.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:14 AM

just dont be one of those people that blame sig for this happening... all manufacturers have their issues, and hope they can fix it
Old 07-10-2012, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

Check out the relationship between the slide stop and the slide. Is the notch in the slide stop rubbing on the slide?

Does the slide get stuck with the barrel out of it?
Old 07-10-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Check out the relationship between the slide stop and the slide. Is the notch in the slide stop rubbing on the slide?

Could the slide stop be bent? So it's creating too much drag. My buddies Ruger had this issues. From the eye it looked fine. But it was bent inwards a hair and it basically made the damn thing feel stuck all the time.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Banned

Did you buy the pistol new or used?
Old 07-10-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:

Yes the slide gets stuck with the barrel out, doesn't seem as bad but it does. Like mentioned above, wondering if it might be something to do with the ejector as it seems worse as the slide gets farther back on the frame. It starts out smooth then gets worse.

I'm not going to blame sig, I love the gun and know things can happen. But I wonder how there customer service is? I bought this gun brand new off gunbroker on april 30th of this year, and like I stated only put 200rds through it.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Are there any wear marks on the ejector? Rule of thumb, when something binds, look for wear marks.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Are there any wear marks on the ejector? Rule of thumb, when something binds, look for wear marks.
I'm really not sure what is normal and what isn't? I'll try to get some close up pictures this evening.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:55 PM

Ok not the best quality pictures, but here they are.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdubbs24 View Post
Ok not the best quality pictures, but here they are.

Damn. That slide stop looks like it ps way too tight.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

You can see strong wear marks on the frame rails and your frame to slide fit looks really tight in the back.

This is just an educated guess but I think your frame to slide fit could be too tight. The drag marks on the disconnector rail look a little excessive to me too. You would have to ask these guys to compare theirs to yours and see if that is normal.

I would call Sig.

Last edited by custom2; 07-10-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
You can see strong wear marks on the frame rails and your frame to slide fit looks really tight in the back.

This is just an educated guess but I think your frame to slide fit could be too tight. The drag marks on the disconnector rail look a little excessive to me too. You would have to ask these guys to compare theirs to yours and see if that is normal.

I would call Sig.
Thanks for the input. I'll be calling them tomorrow morning and see what they say. I prefer to just have it sent to them so they can check it out. Also is it normal for the ejector to move a bit? I can pull the back of it up and down slightly. It's just weird that it worked flawlessly for 200rds and now it feels totally different.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

I would say that the ejector should not move but Sig may disagree. Its worth a call.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I'll be calling them tomorrow morning and see what they say. I prefer to just have it sent to them so they can check it out. Also is it normal for the ejector to move a bit? I can pull the back of it up and down slightly. It's just weird that it worked flawlessly for 200rds and now it feels totally different.
Didn't you say you broke it down and put it back together prior to the issue? Maybe something is off inside
Old 07-10-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfHunter View Post
Didn't you say you broke it down and put it back together prior to the issue? Maybe something is off inside
I've taken it apart probably 3 times before this problem occured. With all the internal parts taken out of the equation, I put just the slide on the frame and when sliding it back and forth I can feel resistance. I had a friend of mine stop by yesterday and he stripped the gun down examined it, did some cleaning and oiled it, and still the same thing. He too would rack the slide all the way back and it would just stick back. Then a little tap with the palm of the hand and it slides forward.

Last edited by Bdubbs24; 07-10-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:40 PM
Banned

Slide stop re-assembled improperly.

Put some grease on those rails-looks like you're running her dry. 1911s need to be run "wet"-lots of grease compared to poly pistols.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEO2B View Post
Slide stop re-assembled improperly.

Put some grease on those rails-looks like you're running her dry. 1911s need to be run "wet"-lots of grease compared to poly pistols.
Well my buddy isn't a noob with handguns or 1911's for that matter and also lubed the heck out of the rails and same issue. I actually wiped the rails and frame down before I took these pictures just in case it would help for members on here to notice any wear marks,ect.

Last edited by Bdubbs24; 07-11-2012 at 06:46 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Well my buddy isn't a noob with handguns or 1911's for that matter and also lubed the heck out of the rails and same issue. I actually wiped the rails and frame down before I took these pictures just in case it would help for members on here to notice any wear marks,ect.
OK, cool, just wanted to let you know. Now that it's dry use a tooth brush to clean out the rail slots in the frame and slide, use a light coating of mil spec grease in there.

In your picture it looks like your slide stop wear area, against the frame, is a little excessive for just a 250 rd. gun. Can you post a pict. of the slide stop out of the pistol?
Old 07-11-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEO2B View Post
OK, cool, just wanted to let you know. Now that it's dry use a tooth brush to clean out the rail slots in the frame and slide, use a light coating of mil spec grease in there.

In your picture it looks like your slide stop wear area, against the frame, is a little excessive for just a 250 rd. gun. Can you post a pict. of the slide stop out of the pistol?
I called sig this morning and they told me to ship the gun to them. I just shipped it off, I'll feel really dumb if it was just a cleaning/lubrication issue on my part.

EDIT: I thank everyone for the help and advice thus far, I'll keep this thread updated.