1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Sig Sauer

Old 07-06-2012, 05:53 PM

thinking about getting a c3

i already love sig pistols. i do not own a sig 1911, however, but have had my eye on the c3 for some time now. how beautiful! anyway, i read somewhere on this forum about sig 1911's having shorter chambers? can someone elaborate on that and what it is going to mean to me when i reload for this pistol?

thanks.
adam
Old 07-06-2012, 07:07 PM

They would have to have a chamber that is long enough for the .45ACP cartridge to fit in. I mean there is a specific length for name brand ammunition and the chamber has to be long enough to accept that specification. So in reloading you should just keep your OAL to that of a factory made round and you should have no problems at all. Sorry for the simplistic response, I don't know fully about reloading the .45ACP.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:03 PM

The current C3's with flared ejection ports are good to go. Great carry piece, good price and excellent warranty/service. Barrel chambers arnt a issue anymore.................... Good luck on yours
Old 07-15-2012, 05:59 AM

Love my new c3!!!!
Old 07-15-2012, 06:30 AM

go ahead.

Bob
Old 07-15-2012, 06:57 AM

Great pistol. I bought mine last year with crimson trace for $800ish. Now I am seeing them for about $100 more at the same shop.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:10 PM

I sent my C3 off to Sig today. I'm having all sorts of issues, FTF, slide locking back prematurely, etc. It doesn't like hollow points at all. It has about 400 rounds down the tube and rarely can I run a full mag without a failure. Very disheartening for what was nearly a $1000 gun.

I own several other non-1911 Sigs and have never had a single failure. I hope your C3 is better than mine. Sig CS assures me they will make it right.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:42 AM

Sig will make it right........................... Troy
Old 07-22-2012, 07:17 AM

Those problems could be caused from limp wristing.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighosscat View Post
I sent my C3 off to Sig today. I'm having all sorts of issues, FTF, slide locking back prematurely, etc. It doesn't like hollow points at all. It has about 400 rounds down the tube and rarely can I run a full mag without a failure. Very disheartening for what was nearly a $1000 gun.

I own several other non-1911 Sigs and have never had a single failure. I hope your C3 is better than mine. Sig CS assures me they will make it right.
This sounds like an aberration. I bought my C3 in the summer of 2011 and put about 200 rounds through it before I took it to four day handgun course in Nevada where I put about 600 rounds through it. I have had no problems such as you describe and I suspect that my history with this pistol is the norm. I shoot reloads as hollow points as a rule and also Blazer FMJ 230 gr.
I bet you will be happy with it when it comes back.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager247 View Post
Those problems could be caused from limp wristing.
Been shootin' fer 25+ years and ain't never had a limp wrist problem. The slide locks back on the next to last round on nearly every mag.
This happens only on the next to last round. The last round is just sitting loosely on top of the empty mag, not in it. Happens with different shooters and brands of mags too. That is with fmj. It won't feed more than 2-3 hp in a row either, regardless of the shooter.

I think the the problems are too consistent across multiple shooters to be shooter error. I just think I bought a lemon. Hopefully they'll fix the issues.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:59 PM

Its an extractor issue. I sent mine back because I had it happen on one mag (one round out of 500) they replaced the extractor and one of the two mags and no problems now. oh, could possibly be the mag too. does yours have the dimple on top of the follower or not?
Old 07-22-2012, 08:57 PM

My Wilson mags don't have dimples. The factory mags do. I can't remember if the McCormick did or not. All mags were sent to Sig with the C3 at their request. The issues I had weren't specific to any of the five magazines I used. I experienced malfunctions with all 5 of them.

I own other Sigs and all have been perfect. I'm eyeballing an Ultra now and the wifey is jonesing for a 238. I'm sure Sig will make it right.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliroast View Post
Its an extractor issue. I sent mine back because I had it happen on one mag (one round out of 500) they replaced the extractor and one of the two mags and no problems now. oh, could possibly be the mag too. does yours have the dimple on top of the follower or not?
I forgot to mention that I wasn't as lucky as you. I had over 40 malfunctions in 400 rounds before I became frustrated and called Sig. I know a lot of the internet forum chatter recommends a 500 round break in period with only fmj. However, Sig doesn't mention this in their manual and they actually state that the pistol should function with a wide variety of ammo. They never asked me about a break in period when I called either.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:22 PM

get one already.. i love my c3
Old 07-25-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyshot View Post
i already love sig pistols. i do not own a sig 1911, however, but have had my eye on the c3 for some time now. how beautiful! anyway, i read somewhere on this forum about sig 1911's having shorter chambers? can someone elaborate on that and what it is going to mean to me when i reload for this pistol?

thanks.
adam
the only issue I had with my Sig 1911 C3 was if I didn't resize the reloads, once I started to resize loaded rounds the problem went away

I don't beleive the chambers were shorter, just tighter tolerences
‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’ — Thomas Jefferson

Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior - 3%
Old 07-25-2012, 07:49 PM

i have a c3 as my edc and idpa gun. it is great and ive never had problems with it. i got my for like $850 with crimson trace, night sites, etc. i can say the CT spends more time off than on but its nice to have. imho its probably one of the best 1911's ive seen under $1000
Old 08-05-2012, 09:10 AM

Like papaduke, my C3 is my EDC gun. No problems with it on any ammo I have fed it. Currently it is loaded with Win Ranger JHP and Hornady XTP.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:02 PM

spyshot, you should get one if that's what you like. You probably won't have any worries. Sig's 1911's have performed well enough to have earned a reputation of, one of the most reliable out of the box, production 1911's. In my opinion anyways....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighosscat View Post

Not to get too far off subject, but I hope you start another thread when you get your 1911 back from Sig. You'll have to let us know what they did, and how it performs post service visit.

You experience with your Sig 1911 is in the minority these days. It wasn't always like that, but the same holds true for most manufacturers. There's always a "Lemon" gun out there, it's just the law of averages. My RCS is in the majority, it's been flawless since the first round.

DB
Old 08-05-2012, 08:43 PM

My c3 went back (twice). They sent me a new one. 750 flawless rounds from the very first shot. Sig make it right.
Good luck on yours........................... Troll