1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Nighthawk

Old 07-02-2012, 12:38 PM

Dilema, Nighthawk or Wilson?

Hi all, I thought I had everything figured out.....that was my first mistake.
I was going to order a new Wilson X-TAC Compact I even knew most of the upgrades I wanted. Stopped at my LGS and found a VERY slightly used Nighthawk Custom Enforcer with a rail and many upgrades. Now I'm undecided. Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Kimber Pro TLE/RL w TLR-1 HL
Kimber Ultra CDP II
Old 07-02-2012, 01:07 PM

Whats the price difference?

If its a couple hundred lower than buying new I would go for the hawk.

Look it over really well, and make sure the paperwork is included.

The rail is a nice option. Lots of holsters will fit a railed or non-railed 1911. Fobus has a version out that holds a 1911 with the light attached.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:48 PM

The X-Tac Compact is kind of a goofy gun in my opinion. I don't like Wilson "Compacts", I like true Commander sized guns. It has a bull barrel, do you like those? It has unique XXX serrations on the slide, do you like that? Will you like that in 5 years? A pistol using the two most overused words in the gun world ("extreme" and "tactical") as the basis of its own name; is that like owning a Wilson Super Awesome from the 1980s?

The Enforcer is more of a standard 1911. It's 5" long, no funky serrations, no buzzword name, a rail keeps it modern and functional. The Enforcer is a gun that can do more than the X-Tac.

I wanted a Wilson and a Nighthawk. I wanted a Gov't and a Commander. Since Wilson doesn't make Commanders I bought a Gov't from them, a Supergrade. Then I bought what I thought was the coolest Commander around from Nighthawk, the Predator II. That's how I came to my own decision.

I'm also into buying used guns, I'll let the previous owner take the initial hit on price.
"Not to be unkind, but signature lines loaded with inventory lists tend to strike me as some kind a plea for validation -- and an indicator that the member in question is probably chasing his tail to a certain degree." -AC
Old 07-02-2012, 01:51 PM

Both and throw in a les baer as well.

Seriously get the enforcer and go to migunslingers and order your wilson.

wilson combat tactical L.E., Browning hi power, Gemini customs GP100, Springfield XDS, mossberg 500
Old 07-02-2012, 02:01 PM

On the Wilson forum I told him to buy both, too. He could fund the purchase of the 2nd by selling his Kimberly collection. They're gonna get dusty when he gets a WC and a NHC in his hands, anyway.
"Not to be unkind, but signature lines loaded with inventory lists tend to strike me as some kind a plea for validation -- and an indicator that the member in question is probably chasing his tail to a certain degree." -AC
Old 07-02-2012, 04:28 PM

That is so true. All my guns got sold when I got my hawk.

wilson combat tactical L.E., Browning hi power, Gemini customs GP100, Springfield XDS, mossberg 500
Old 07-02-2012, 05:00 PM

I'll join in that crowd myself, from my first 1911 everything else slowly was sold off...well except a Python, Sig p228, and a mouse Seecamp. I guess almost everything then Oh yea, the emp too! Man I startin to loose it!
Old 07-03-2012, 06:32 AM

Get the hawk..then go buy your Wilson Seriously whats the price will direct yoour purchase a little. If its Ace Sporting Goods they are always a little on the high side
Old 07-03-2012, 10:39 AM

Can't afford both

Yes the price of the NHC is high in my opinion. $3,000. for a used 1911. I would rather apply that toward a new Wilson but I'm unable to find one anywhere just to hold. That may sound funny but before ordering one I would like to fondle one.
Kimber Ultra CDP II
Old 07-03-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New to Kimbers View Post
I'm unable to find one anywhere just to hold. That may sound funny but before ordering one I would like to fondle one.
Nothing wrong with that, and is really preferrable if you can.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:59 AM

that price is way too high for a used hawk. Pass on it.

I ordered a brand new predator with light rail and other options for around 3100 cash.

I think the current high demand and long wait times are driving up prices of used guns.

Warning: once you handle a wilson or hawk; the decision to ditch the kimbers and buy another will come naturally. (its what happened to me: had 5 kimbers, then I bought a wilson, then I sold all the Kimbers to buy two more wilsons)

Last edited by bjeffv; 07-03-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:43 AM

Cleaning out safe for a Wilson

Decision is made! Gonna clean out the safe of least liked guns and order a Wilson. Going is a, Taurus Stainless 1911, Kimber Custom II (unfired), Kimber Pro Eclipse, Sig Traditional Tacops (unfired), S&W M&P Pro .40 and that's just off the top of my head. Gonna give me plenty to do this evening and it's a good thing I'm off tomorrow (4th). Thanks all for your input.
Kimber Ultra CDP II
Old 07-03-2012, 04:40 PM

I have a Hawk, 2 Wilsons and a Brown. I also have a Kimber Eclipse with a wonderful C&S ignition set and a Wilson MSH. IMO all of my guns are about the same quality and shoot about the same.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Decision is made! Gonna clean out the safe of least liked guns and order a Wilson.
Great choice, Wilson, NH, Ed Brown, Springfield, Les Baer, all good choices. These are manufacturers that I own or have owned. They all make great 1911's but they can be an expensive addiction
Old 07-03-2012, 06:53 PM

Well if you arent gonna buy it mind handing over that number to the place you saw it so i can lol
Old 07-03-2012, 07:49 PM

If the price of the Hawk is $3k used, I'd definitely order the Wilson. Didn't see that detail in the Wilson forum

Good luck!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:36 AM

Where at???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan5 View Post
Well if you arent gonna buy it mind handing over that number to the place you saw it so i can lol
Hi Spartan5, it is at Ace Sporting Goods in Washington Pa. 15301 the phone is 724-222-5470 and best contact person is Chris Smith. They still have it and is listed along with their complete used inventory on their website which is www.acesportinggoods.com The listed price is $2,895.
Kimber Ultra CDP II
Old 07-04-2012, 08:58 AM

Used Enforcer you say? I'd love to own an X-tac someday, and will, but until then my Enforcer will do. That price is way too high. Go to migunslingers.com and look under the used inventory section. That Enforcer is in the right price range, with a great finish. If you could get the guy at the shop to come down to the $2500 range, you'd be doing alright.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:09 PM

NHC and WC are both fine pistols. When you get up into this range, it's about little things. My most frequent carry is my Bill Wilson Carry, then my NHC T3, but my favorite range gun is my NHC "Centennial". It's about small details. I really like the way Wilson does the recessed slide stop, but that is 100% a cosmetic issue. My Wilson has a bull barrel, and my T3 a bushing system... Both are reliable and great guns. I don't think you can lose with either, especially if you get them lightly used and for a good price.
SIG Scorpion, WC-Custom Bill Wilson Carry, NH Centennial 1 of 100, NH TALON 5", NH Ladyhawk, NH T3 LW, EB Kobra Carry LW, EB Centennial Edition, EB Custom SF, EB SF 9mm... Kahr PM-45, Glock 27,23,34,36; Kel-tec, H&K, Ruger, WC AR-15, Bushmaster, FN FS2000.
I carry a pistol because I have a bad back and cops are too heavy.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:15 AM

With the experience I have had with my 5" Predator from before my order, through today (60,000+ rounds) and their customer service... I will not spend that kind of money anywhere but with Nighthawk. They have been amazing and the pistol has been flawless!
Old 08-03-2012, 10:43 AM

My next will be a Wilson of some sort. I have 4 Browns and a NHC Talon right now.

I have a Tactical Elite sitting here next to my keyboard. A buddy let me borrow it. It'll be the first time I have shot a bull barrel 1911, and it has the flanged crown as well. A strange looking thing, but we'll see how she runs.

Colt - 2 Commanders (SACS full house custom pistols) and an O1970A1CS

Wilson Combat - A bunch. I'm starting to lose count.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:02 AM

Nighthawk

Hi all, just to update you. On Saturday I bought a Nighthawk Signature Series Heinie Edition and absolutely love it. I had approximatly $30,000. worth of 1911s laid in front of me at one time. Wilsons, Nighthawks, Les Baers, Ed Browns, compacts and full size. All at a shop I have never been to before I hope it's ok to give him a plug, it's Cove Creek Outfitters in Bedford Pa.. The NHC I bought on 7/28 included the test targer dated 7/24. And the reason I bought it was "IT JUST FELT RIGHT" Thanks for all the input.
Kimber Ultra CDP II
Old 08-03-2012, 06:49 PM

Nice choice. Cove creek is one of the best stores for stocking high end 1911s. You definetly bought a wonderful pistol. Now we wanna see pics and a range report.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I had approximatly $30,000. worth of 1911s laid in front of me at one time. Wilsons, Nighthawks, Les Baers, Ed Browns, compacts and full size.
I wish there was a shop near me that gave me the ability to do this! Nowhere near me stocks any of them...that's very cool. You had the chance to put them all next to each other and make your decision based on that!
Old 08-03-2012, 07:35 PM

Me either. None of my gunshops have any of the big four. If they do they want an insane price.