1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 06-19-2012, 03:04 PM

No carry/weapon signs in businesses...

I live in the Auburn/Opelika area in Alabama, which I am happy to say seems to be fairly friendly to gun owners. However, of all the businesses, local and chain, the only ones that prohibit concealed carry are the two "tacticool" gun shops. What the hell?
Old 06-19-2012, 03:19 PM

I can't remember in the last 20 something years, ever going into a gun store that allowed anyone but police to have loaded firearms in the customers hands, except for on the range.

1 - The obvious, but less-likely reason = Robbery potential

2 - The more likely reason = LIABILITY. With people playing with guns, dry-firing, waving them around and sweeping everyone from Granny to the local hobo outside..... probably best to have unloaded guns in the sales area.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:19 PM

My first step after seeing a "Gun Free Zone" sign on a gun store door, . . . would be the other way, . . . and I would never look back.

If he doesn't trust his customers and himself, . . . he needs to close up shop and open a candy store.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran!
Old 06-19-2012, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Plenty of gun shops have "no loaded guns" signs for liability and insurance reasons. My LGS has a "we welcome those who CCW and Open Carry" sign, and that's why it's my LGS of choice.

Robert

Moving to General, as this is not legal or political in nature though.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight55 View Post
My first step after seeing a "Gun Free Zone" sign on a gun store door, . . . would be the other way, . . . and I would never look back.

If he doesn't trust his customers and himself, . . . he needs to close up shop and open a candy store.

May God bless,
Dwight
+1 if you don't want me to carry in your buisness I go to a competitor, I try to avoid all places that won't let me carry whether it's a burger joint or car dealership.
~Benjamin Franklin
Old 06-19-2012, 04:34 PM

Although I agree, in principle, with doing business where I am welcome - I challenge each of you to work in a Gun Store for a week.

We'll see what your opinions are like then.
"If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men.” Romans 12:18
Old 06-19-2012, 04:35 PM

"2 - The more likely reason = LIABILITY. With people playing with guns, dry-firing, waving them around and sweeping everyone from Granny to the local hobo outside..... probably best to have unloaded guns in the sales area."

Bingo!Next time you're in an older shop ask if there are any holes in the walls.Traded in guns have been found loaded in the case or a gunshow more than once too.Those of us that have been around guns since children aren't the problem,it's the others for the most part.Most places I've been outside of a gunshow have a simple rule despite the sign,if it's concealed keep it there.If you do have to unload to check a holster or whatever either hit a safe zone or go outside to your vehicle.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:44 PM

I too have always thought it strange that gun shops have that sign out front but in a conversation with one of the guys at my local store he said as long as it's concealed they were fine with it BUUUUT if one of there guys see it they are supposed to have you clear it.

I guess it depends on the owners. I can't recall a gun store that didn't have those signs though.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:00 PM

If even gun stores are scared of people with guns, obviously we should regulate more strictly who can carry them, where they can, and force them to have some training....

It's a slippery slope
Old 06-19-2012, 05:05 PM

Woody Guthrie

Regarding signs,I'm with Woody Guthrie.

Here's a variant in "This Land Was Made for You and Me":

"As I went walking,I saw a sign there;
And on the sign it said 'No Tresspassing'
But on the other side it didn't say nothing.
That side was made for you and me."

Everybody sing!

Last edited by Shad Roe; 06-19-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:17 PM

I grew up, live near and and am often in Philadelphia Pa (a city of about 4 million people). I have NEVER seen a sign that said NO GUNS ALLOWED. Ever. Not in stores, not at chain or local restaurants, not at gun shops. The only sign i ever saw at a gun shop was "keep your gun holstered"
Old 06-19-2012, 05:24 PM

I've seen more stupid behavior in my LGS than anywhere else. They now have a duck that they tell people to point the weapon at.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:26 PM

The majority of the gun stores in my area that have signs don't prohibit carry but state that guns stay holstered in the store. After watching a couple of people whip out their guns to try holsters sweeping half the people in the store I understand. The owner showed me a bullet hold in the counter from someone trying out holsters.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dirt Dave View Post
Although I agree, in principle, with doing business where I am welcome - I challenge each of you to work in a Gun Store for a week.

Exactly. All the local shops near me either prohibit loaded guns, or else state that all weapons must be holstered or in a case before entering. Those here who think it's anti-Second Amendment to say so need to work in a gun store for a few weeks and see what kinds of clowns come in the door from time to time. As much as it hurts to say it, there actually are people out there who shouldn't be allowed to have guns or any other dangerous objects. Most of them also shouldn't be allowed to drive either, but that's a subject for another discussion.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:55 PM

I remember last winter in LGS when a shopper tried to show a new gun buyer how the safety on his carry revolver worked
Old 06-19-2012, 06:03 PM

More common than you might think, i reckon the thought behind it is they don't want patrons to show their weapon off to others in the store, seen it several times.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:04 PM

there actually are people out there who shouldn't be allowed to have guns or any other dangerous objects. Most of them also shouldn't be allowed to drive either,

True'r words could not be said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2012, 06:44 PM

The holster rule I can definitely understand and agree with, but, anyone that agrees with no loaded carry can't complain about a sign in any other retail establishment. Those same morons that will show off their new gun in the LGS are just as likely to show it to their buddy they run into at Walmart. Thankfully, those signs are not the norm and three of the five stores in the area don't have the, and then they also don't have loads of "tactical gear" like the other two.

If common sense had anything to do with it, most of the employees and customers probably shouldn't own guns
Old 06-19-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFilex View Post
I remember last winter in LGS when a shopper tried to show a new gun buyer how the safety on his carry revolver worked

That made me laugh. Ain't no cure for stupid!
Old 06-19-2012, 07:29 PM

I to live in Alabama (ROLL TIDE) that is North AL. LGS's up here all allow cc, just unload before you come in, thats not always a rule, I believe you should do that as a common courtesy. Only place I have seen a sign is one of the local Hospitals and of course local and Fed, locations. All the shops I frequent all employees open carry. I'm more scared of that than a concealed carry person who as a rule is responsible.

Gary
Old 06-19-2012, 07:32 PM

Actually the gun shops in my area, I think without exception, allow carry inside the store. Let's face it, a sign on the front door isn't going to keep the bad guy from walking in armed and if a bunch of the good guys (customers) are carrying you'd hope they'd come to the aid of the shops employees. Even Cabela's has changed their policy here. They started out with a "no loaded firearms allowed" and then went to "loaded firearms must stay holstered," as I recall.

Now pawn shops are another issue. They haven't figured it out or maybe it is an insurance issue.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:35 PM

Course I can understand why they don't allow cc, its Auburn them people are nuts to begin with.(Roll Tide) ooops just started a forum war SORRY

Gary
Old 06-19-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dirt Dave View Post

Agreed. It is too easy for someone to forget they are handling cleared weapons and reach to their holster to show a buddy what exactly they are talking about.

When I am handed a firearm to look at by the clerk, the first thing I do is remove the magazine and lock the slide/action back and check the gun--even if I watched the clerk do it already. I've gotten more than a few odd looks from the clerk, but better safe than sorry. How many people are shot every year cleaning "unloaded" weapons and the like....
Old 06-19-2012, 08:50 PM

"You can't run from trouble. Ain't no place that far."
Old 06-19-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrkj View Post
If even gun stores are scared of people with guns, obviously we should regulate more strictly who can carry them, where they can, and force them to have some training....

It's a slippery slope
That is an awfully big leap from anything that anyone here has said... Excepting you. Methinks that you might be an agent provocateur.
"If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men.” Romans 12:18