1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Rock Island Armory

Old 06-18-2012, 09:40 AM

Couple of questions: ejection and FTF

Hello all. I just got my first 1911, a Rock Island commander (hope that's the correct term). The guy I bought it from only put about 25 rounds through it. I got it apart (thanks to the sites I found here) and got it all cleaned and oiled up. When I took it to the range it was having a lot of problems with reloaded ammo. It would jam up at least every 3rd round. I am using the Wilson Combat magazines. I don't know if this is something I need to have looked at or if it just doesn't like reloaded rounds.

I put a total of 300 rounds through it and also noticed that some of the shells were kicking up and hitting the slide in front of where they are ejected. I now have a hand full of bronze marks on the slide that don't seem to want to come off. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I really like the gun but it was a little frustrating. Thank you all!!
Old 06-18-2012, 09:57 AM

Call Nevada and send it in. They will make it run with just about any ammo and it should be up to par upon its return. Armscore--RIA had always had great support.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:11 AM

First before you call or send it anywhere, assume it is the reloads. No one is going to do warranty work on a problem if the problem is in the ammo. As to the marks, some guns do this and others don't. I might be fixed with a tweaking of the extractor, a change in loads, different weight springs or changing the angle of the ejector.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:18 PM

You're not giving enough information here. What kind of reloads, bullet-shape, powder-charge, most of all what overall length? Most guys load all forms of 45ACP too short. Are you running SWCs(Semi-Wadcutters)? If so then the feedlips on your magazines are probably too long.

Everybody seems to think that they have to run SWCs if they reload.Most times, Wadcutters are more trouble than they're worth. Personally, I run 230gr.RNLs at 1.265" OAL and never have feed problems. Further, they're every bit as accurate as Wadcutters.

On your Ejection problem, you probably need to tune the Extractor, sounds like it has too much tension.
Msgt., USAF,Ret.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the ideas guys. Dave, I actually have no idea on some of the info. These were reloads my dad had purchased which he then gave me since he wasn't going to use them. I'll have to take a look at the length when I get home. As far as the extractor goes, how hard is that to do myself? I know enough to get the gun apart now for a cleaning but am always concerned about getting in over my head.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:46 PM

Fieldstrip it, push the firing-pin in with a 1/8th.punch, with your thumb over the pin, slide the stop down and out then ease the pin out. Take a small screwdriver and push down on the hook of the Extractor towards the rear of the slide until it starts to come out. Pull it 1/3rd of the way out and gently bend it a small amount to the right and slide it back in. Reassemble the slide and slide a loaded round up under the Extractor-hook. It should be a bit loose but, still hold the round in place with mild to moderate shaking of the slide.
Msgt., USAF,Ret.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:51 PM

Hey, I really appreciate it Dave. Will give this a shot!
Old 06-18-2012, 05:10 PM

what kind of "jam"

gotta be specific, Padn'r if you want help diagnosing stoppages
describe in detail the position of the rnd when stoppage occurs

and buy a box of factory new brass cased 230gr full metal jacket ammo too for your next range trip
(just to rule out the re-loads as a possible cause of the ills )

..l.T.A.