1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 01-18-2003, 01:33 AM
Banned

How do you polish/smooth out an aluminum frame feed ramp?

I have a Kimber CDP Compact which has an aluminum frame. The ramp is getting a little rough and I was wondering about polishing it... is that ok or will I screw up the hardening on the ramp? Or is the ramp hardened?

I was thinking about getting the frame hard-chromed if that would then give me a long lasting, smooth feed ramp that could be polished without damaging the metal... any suggestions?
Old 01-18-2003, 06:15 AM

Good question. I would like to know too.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:58 PM

Aluminum frames must have a hard shell such as anodizing or perhaps hard chrome. Hollow point ammo can chew into the aluminum frame ramp. Polishing could result in removing the hard shell from that portion of the frame. Your best bet would be to either have the frame milled and a steel feed ramp insert installed or mill the frame for a ramped barrel and a new barrel fitted.
Old 01-18-2003, 01:34 PM
Banned

Wow... I never had any idea that hollowpoints in an aluminum frame 1911 would sooner or later destroy the feed ramp. I would guess there are a whole lot of alum frame 1911 owners out there who don't know this either. Looks like a steel insert is my next move with this awesome little pistol. I sure hope putting one in doesn't mess with what is a PERFECTLY reliable Compact CDP. And now my thoughts turn to my LW Commander, which should have the same treatment. I shoot hollowpoints mostly.

Anyone suggest who best to do such work? ... sure don't want this to get messed up.
Old 01-18-2003, 01:38 PM

George Smith at EGW is the only source I know of for a feed ramp insert. Good for aluminum frames or to rebuild an overthroated gun - we used to call guns like that "not only throated, its tonsils were removed."
Old 01-18-2003, 04:58 PM

Steel feedramp

Try www.rogersprecision.com(under reliability tuning)
Barry

Last edited by bjg-1911; 01-18-2003 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:51 PM

D Hart

Is there a problem with the weapon feeding ?

Or is the ramp just appear marked and discolored ?

Ol reliable has apx 15-18k on a colt lw officers over the
past 9 years-its never missed a lick.

Well it did finally break three weeks ago at the range
the slide stop broke-gun kept running but the slide
did not lock back-hum that never happened befor
stuff in another mag -no lock - hum ?? lock open
look inside oh look there the lug is gone.

Well 9 years factory parts not bad-kept running
didnt get me dead- Im ok w that.

Go home fit caspian match grade stop-good to go.

Only thing I've had damage the feed ramp was
steel mag followers that move fwrd and put a small
gouge low on the ramp.

If you have mags that nose down w hp's over time
you will chew it up- attention to detail good mags
and maintenance.

Best Luck JB
Old 01-18-2003, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson
George Smith at EGW is the only source I know of for a feed ramp insert. Good for aluminum frames or to rebuild an overthroated gun - we used to call guns like that "not only throated, its tonsils were removed."
i am one of those fools who overthroated his Kimber (steel frame).

i was so pissed with myself i felt like jumping off a bridge -- except we don't have any here in the desert.

when i calmed down i figured, what the heck, if i can screw this up with a dremel (and i am very good with a dremel), i can probably fix it with my torch. i have one of those nifty Mapp gas / oxygen setups that i have used for years to do brazing. after cleaning the frame well i put the torch to it and then began to slowly reshape the feed ramp.

it took several careful hours but it worked, and about 500 rounds later, the braze job is still holding up nicely.
Old 01-18-2003, 11:08 PM

If the ammo you are using has wrecked the feed ramp once, smoothing things up will only delay the same thing happening again until eventually you don't have enough to work on, or the ramp is so misshaped that nothing works.

Some hardened aluminum will stand up OK, but most alloy frames will eventually have that problem. The only answers are a steel insert or a new gun.

Since alloy frames often crack ahead of the slide stop hole, maybe the makers bet on which problem occurs first.

Jim
Old 01-18-2003, 11:28 PM

Go with the EGW Steel Ramp Insert and you won't have to worry about it ever again. Our shop has installed several, with excellent results. No more wear, period.

Warmly, Col. Colt

"Beware of Counterfeits & Patent Infringements" - More True Now than when I wrote it 150 years ago!
Old 01-19-2003, 04:26 AM
Banned

John... the CDP has about 700 rounds through it, with about half of them being jacketed hollow points. The gun feeds perfectly reliably, but the ramp is looking spotted and discolored and doesn't feel glass smooth like a steel ramp does. I may be freaking out a little prematurely, but didn't realize until getting some answers to my question that hollow points can chew up an aluminum alloy frame ramp. I'm a little shocked to learn that hollowpoints and aluminum ramps don't mix very well.

It could be that the gun has many hundreds or thousands of rounds left before feeding begins to fail, but just judging from the look of the ramp, I'm wondering whether to just have the steel ramp put in. This gun is my primary carry weapon and functions flawlessly so far, but any compromise that may begin to arise is something I can't tolerate and I don't want to wait until it fails before I do anything about it.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:36 AM

DHart, I am still using my Commander(aluminum frame) from my LEO days in the '70s. I stopped counting rounds at about 11k. The whole gun looks like it is ready for the scrap heap. But looks are deceiving, she still has not missed a round yet. Sit back, relax and stop worrying.
Al